Garman vs Tom tom

Getting there and getting around.
Lands

Garman vs Tom tom

Post by Lands »

Hi everyone. Gonna be going to get a sat nav. Was gonna get tom tom but now thinking Garman. Obviously i want western europe any ideas and opinions?

LANDS
Bob2

Post by Bob2 »

we drive all the time now last 10 trips or so with the tom tom, is perfect 10 out of 10. brothers got a garmin, its good but not perfect
Max Flower

Post by Max Flower »

I like the Garmen although I haven't used the tom tom. If it's any sway, Tom Tom is a Dutch company BTW.
USbongLord

Post by USbongLord »

i use a tom tom 930...highly reccomend..never used garman
rockin into the night
Boner

Post by Boner »

I dont know if you did a google search or not: Clicky.

I use maps btw, I'm just old fashioned like that.
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
Ash333

Post by Ash333 »

Boner wrote:I dont know if you did a google search or not: Clicky.

I use maps btw, I'm just old fashioned like that.
I use a garmin Nuvi and its brilliant. But its no substitute for an A-Z IMHO.
No Victim? No Crime.
Lands

Post by Lands »

So it sounds like they both do the job. Just wondered if there was some common fault with either.

We're generally old fasioned and use an A-Z. in fact i'm a bit of a techno-phobe and late to catch on, but this time i admit defeat. We drive to the dam and on the whole we have a laugh but as soon as we hit a city, chaos ensues and me and the missus start bickering, then clucking, desparate for a smoke and this goes on for a good 20mins until we go, oh there it is over there. Now, i just want to chill and let someone else navigate. So guys, in this case a map isnt an option.
LANDS
TRANCE

Post by TRANCE »

I'm techno savvy and have Tom Tom. Use it daily with my work in the UK, but when I go to Amsterdam I use a map, not the map I designed located in my sig, but I used Photoshop and scanned another detailed map and placed all the coffeeshops on it and printed it off at a high street printers A3 in size. I don't think you can beat a good old map as you can see the overall, larger picture at a quick glance, plus there's no batteries to run out and nothing to lug around or lose.
MY AMSTERDAM MAP = www.amsterdamer.supanet.com
Lands

Post by Lands »

Thanks Trance for the map. Im sure it will be useful for some. Now can you do that sort of map for every province. The Dam we know well, its the bloody rest of Holland we want to explore. Utrecht and Breda we know too and love going to other cs in these new places. Maps take up too much precious time, when you only get 3 days to get there, smoke and get back. Surely sat nav has to be the way for us. :wink:
LANDS
TRANCE

Post by TRANCE »

Lands wrote:Thanks Trance for the map. Im sure it will be useful for some. Now can you do that sort of map for every province. The Dam we know well, its the bloody rest of Holland we want to explore. Utrecht and Breda we know too and love going to other cs in these new places. Maps take up too much precious time, when you only get 3 days to get there, smoke and get back. Surely sat nav has to be the way for us. :wink:
Oh, yes of course you're completely right in that respect. Sat Nav is the only way to go when exploring out of the city. I didn't realise what you meant but in this case having a Tom Tom is ideal venturing further out. If visitors only stay in Amsterdam on foot/bike from East to West and below old south, then I find a simple map is actually better than sat nav myself. My Tom Tom has to be one of the best gadgets I've bought, driving as much as I do and it's good to keep the map software updated too. I must get round in downloading a new and different voice for my Tom Tom one day, lol
MY AMSTERDAM MAP = www.amsterdamer.supanet.com
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Only one way to sort it and that is Harry Hill style, FIGHT :lol:
evergrey1968

Post by evergrey1968 »

Have spent the last week following one of my favourite bands around the UK, was using Tom Tom on the iPhone but found it next to useless, really unreliable, positioning kept slipping when going under bridges or at motorway junctions, signal kept crapping out, so binned it and put Navigon back on, much easier to follow.
abcdabcd

Post by abcdabcd »

I'm not too familiar with nav systems, do they make any portable ones that you can use anywhere like for biking?
Lands

Post by Lands »

the Garman i know is portable.
LANDS
Bob2

Post by Bob2 »

ive seen a tom tom one on a bike in london (odds on for your mobile phone and then buy a case and straps (maybe ebay) job done.

used a garmin this trip was good until we reached pax deboot coffeeshop in breda it didnt have a clue, but its on the water and we found it. took us to amsterdam fine until hotel roou deloouu(dam square) something like that again didnt have a clue kept making us go in circles we put addresses in post codes.

i would stick to tom tom next time