Luggage

Getting there and getting around.
Smith2

Luggage

Post by Smith2 »

When I first went to A'dam, I was young, and I had a cheap rucksack.

Later on, I was not so young, and I had a better rucksack.

Last year I decided that I was middle-aged and deserved a suitcase with wheels. Yeah, right. Wheels are a mixed blessing on cobblestones, and you have to carry a suitcase up those stairs if you're not in a modern hotel.

On my next trip I'm staying at the Hotel Abba, and apparently on the top floor. I'm seriously considering getting a shiny new rucksack.

Your thoughts? And how do you travel?

Nimrod

Re: Luggage

Post by Nimrod »

Stayed in room 80 at Hotel Abba this April and had to haul my carry-on size suitcase up there. It helped that it was in two installments, leaving the bag locked up prior to check-in, then hauling from there later on.

If I used a back pack, my concern is being back-heavy going up the steep stairs. Carrying the suitcase in front of me prevents that.

Never could figure out why upright rolling luggage is so hot. I like the two recessed skate wheels on my bag.
Cisco

Post by Cisco »

And Abba doesn't suffer the ubiquitous steep staircases :wink:
-
Pala

Post by Pala »

PotHead

Post by PotHead »

Solo trips see me with a very lightweight 30 litre pack (e.g. a mountaineering pack with the waist belt removed). I don't need room for souvenirs or lots of clothes. I will not come home with a poster from the Van Gogh Museum or wooden shoes so I don't need extra room.

Trips to Europe and elsewhere with my wife and daughter see us with luggage on wheels.
PotHead out

Music without drums is just folk music.
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

Ordered this in burnt orange, and it seems like a promising addition to the luggage stable. Takes me back to my Rick Steves-bag days, as it's very similar. Can't wait to stress test it.

Also ordered the FUL Peabody mini-sling in camo, as it appears to be a better version of something I just used in town that worked well for me.
Lafe

Post by Lafe »

Ordered this in burnt orange, and it seems like a promising addition to the luggage stable. Takes me back to my Rick Steves-bag days, as it's very similar. Can't wait to stress test it.
That's my exact bag. I like that it also has a side handle.

Looking forward to using it again in April, but I do have a trip planned in early January.
"Laif" with a long "a".
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

Nimrod wrote:
Ordered this in burnt orange..
Glad I ordered this when I did, as these bags, no matter what color, are usually out of stock. :D
matty223

Post by matty223 »

this april im just bringing caryyon
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

matty223 wrote:this april im just bringing caryyon
Anymore, I always carry-on, walking right past the people waiting for more luggage than they really need. I'm on the bus by the time they finally get their bag.
dpgsoulja89

Post by dpgsoulja89 »

That is so weird im going to stay in hotel abba on my next trip,must be a good hotel it pops up all over the place
btw there is a really steap stairs at hotel gallery its nearly vertical,i would just call it a ladder.it was like a mission navigating down the thing at night stoned :lol:
i usually bring a big green rucksack
next trip...1st December!
Colina

Post by Colina »

In April and November a trolly. I need to get a smaller one, KLM only allows very small trollys as cabin luggage , mine is a bit to big. If you are going to get a cabin case pay attention!

In summer a trekking backpack and my tent. smoking allowed :mrgreen:
HOLLAND
Hope Our Love Lasts And Never Dies
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

Nimrod wrote:
Nimrod wrote:
Ordered this in burnt orange..
Glad I ordered this when I did, as these bags, no matter what color, are usually out of stock. :D
Had an online chat with an e-bags rep, and he said that this item was being discontinued. Checked the item again today, and they had the red one on offer. ???

Anyway, the item is being replaced by this, http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/week ... d=10211618 supposedly the next generation. The new item weighs less (possibly due to the lighter grade fabrics used), reportedly has a bit more space, and it's lost the D-ring for attaching a shoulder strap. Not real keen on the new colors, either.
Lafe

Post by Lafe »

I use this one. Ebags house brand is fantastic kit.
"Laif" with a long "a".
Comus

Post by Comus »

i take a DJ bag that would hold 25 vinyl lp's ...... it's virtually empty on the way out ......on the way back, it contains 25 vinyl lp's :thumbup:
I'm in shocks and stares