Stupid questions about planes

Getting there and getting around.
Smith2

Stupid questions about planes

Post by Smith2 »

I haven't flown since 1994, so know nothing about post 9/11 security apart from what I've heard. Dislike of all that faffing about is the main reason why I haven't.

But I missed the cheapest rail and ferry option (which isn't all that cheap), and couldn't face the coach, so I'll be flying from Gatwick next time.

I'm only taking carry-on luggage. In the past, I've put my pipe in the part of my camera case where things like batteries and leads are, and it's gone through X-ray machines on Eurostar, etc. without a problem. But is it likely that that they'll open up everything at Gatwick? Probably more embarrassment than problems, but it could be both. Anybody done this sort of thing?

Also, what's the story with liquids and lighters? I generally put shampoo and conditioner into smallish containers suitable for a week's supply, but that might look dodgier than branded bottles. Advice from BA itself is confusing. They seem to imply that you can, but maybe you can't, and one lighter is OK, but no more than that, but maybe not.

Pala

Re: Stupid questions about planes

Post by Pala »

Just buy a €5 pipe in town.

I don't think they care about lighters any more. I fly with them all the time. I usually tuck it in my bag, but I've also tossed it into the basket with my wallet and belt. They don't care what containers your shampoo is in.
bigdaddyk

Re: Stupid questions about planes

Post by bigdaddyk »

you're allowed in hand baggage 100ml bottles of liquid but it must fit into a 20cm by 20cm bagie you can always buy travel size toiletries from the supermarket. as for lighters you are allowed to bring them on board
dam aint the only place in nl