How do ACD members get around??

Getting there and getting around.
ovogangent

How do ACD members get around??

Post by ovogangent »

Hi All,

So it's my first time in Dam on Monday and as you can imagine, I have so many coffeeshops I'd like to experience while also seeing the city itself.

How do you guys tend to get around when going from CS to CS? Is walking fine, or would it take too long to walk from (for example) Voyagers to Dampkring?

Many thanks in advance for your advice :)

Junglist Movement

Re: How do ACD members get around??

Post by Junglist Movement »

I used to be a sworn walk everywhere person until I did one year rent a bicycle. If the weather is good i seriously recommend giving it a go. There's loads of places. Just stay clear of touristy ones.
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

Tram card 8) scam on scan off :lol: :mrgreen:
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Walking around Amsterdam takes longer than it should.
a) Because stoned
b) Because a) you're also lost and Amsterdam has a particularly incomprehensible layout that is baffling and long-winded when a) is true. This phenomena is x10 for first timers. Take a map (extra points if you take a lamintaed ACD map), or mobile data so you have Google maps. You'll need it.
c) Because most streets are lined with cobbles - so wear mountain boots if you intend to walk everywhere without ripping your soles and ankles to shreds. Seriously. I've had trips (and I know others here will attest to the same - I've seem their pain) where I've returned home crippled and blistered raw from the amount of miles walked on those cobbles in search of the holy high-grade.

Rent your bike from Starbikes near Central station - or Mikes Bikes (google for address).

Walking is however - BEAUTIFUL. And should be experienced for at least one day of your trip.

Trams are also great. You can hop on and off all day if you have a travelcard and all areas of the city are well covered.

In my opinion, cycling is the only way to get around Amsterdam for the intrepid Coffeeshop explorer.
The walk from Voyagers to Dampkring is perhaps 20-30 minutes if you walk slowly and know the route. But on a bike you'll be there in 3-5.

I used to walk. In fact - before forum member DLN coaxed me into cycling - I'd had ten or more trips hoofing around with blisters being dissapointed with my purchases because I'd walked 40 minutes across town, got lost twice and been met by an uninspiring menu or trays filled with shake and popcorn that I ended up buying from because I needed to sit down.

Now - if the wares are sub-par I can walk out and glide off to the next shop on my trusty two wheeled war horse.
ONWARD. 8) There is a big part of me that misses wandering around slowly taking in the sights. So definitely make sure you do that.

You're gonna have a blast. I'm very jealous - I so wish it could be my first time again. Magical.
Have fun. My top-tip would be to remember that the top-end of the menu prices wise doesn't neccessarily guarantee top-class flavour or potency, there are still plenty of gems to be found for under €10 if you really are willing to put the time and miles in to find them.
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

Everything in the above post is true, so you should take it to heart.

HOWEVER: if it's your first time, and you've got a few days, I'd recommend just walking round the central area on your first day, to get a feel for the place. By central I mean the Grachtengordel, the semicircular area with its outer boundary being Prinsengracht. Amsterdam's a lot smaller than you think, and a bike would be a bit of a nuisance here. You'll want to stop a lot for any number of reasons.

On the second day, you might consider renting a bike, particularly if you want to go down past the museum area and Vondelpark -- Overtoom and Kinkerstraat are classic examples of distances that are very long and not really that interesting on foot, but flash by in a second on wheels. Or you could take the free ferry and explore the area north of the Ij, just because it's there. If you're not feeling energetic, there's public transport.

Top tip: use Google Maps to find your route from A to B. For example:

https://tinyurl.com/RoutesFromVoyagersToDampkring

https://tinyurl.com/OrDidYouMeanTheOtherOne
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Isn't the protocol for your first trip that you arrive, go straight to a coffeeshop, get lost several times, have a whirlwind weekend and don't end up visiting most of the places you had planned?
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

i just walk... roll a joint and take it with me
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
choppermike

Post by choppermike »

Bike, just get a bike, you won't regret it unless you have a bad accident with a tram. StarBikes is close to Central Station for an easy retreat on departure, family run and about 7e a day for all your transport needs !!! Enjoy :mrgreen:

There's a bagdrop beside Batavia where you can leave your luggage for 5e a day btw !
.. in the avoid curve :mrgreen:
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

Two wheeled steed, Good to do some exploreing on foot but once that gets old, rent a bike.

Enjoy
FlyByNite
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

Is Mike Bike's still open??? I always rented from them in prior trips, but this trip I had only smoked just a couple of bowls and it was not on Kerkstraat at the usual local. Instead, King Bikes was at the adjacent spot. All I could think was that Google misled me somehow. But I walked up and down Kerkstraat 2 times to no avail.
worldcitizen1723

Post by worldcitizen1723 »

bike

city bikes my fav
Marok21

Post by Marok21 »

Willjay wrote: Fri 20th Jul 2018 11:37 pm Tram card scam on scan off
:thumbup: The 24 hour ticket cost around 7,50€ and it´s also possible to take the metro and buses...

Like said before the bike is maybe the best way to explore the city... but I saw so many accidents with bikes in the past in Amsterdam that I became a little more careful :roll: :lol: anyway there is nothing better to drive by bike on a sunny day through the quieter parts of Amsterdam :mrgreen:
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

Marok21 wrote: Sat 28th Jul 2018 03:18 pm
Willjay wrote: Fri 20th Jul 2018 11:37 pm Tram card scam on scan off
:thumbup: The 24 hour ticket cost around 7,50€ and it´s also possible to take the metro and buses...

Like said before the bike is maybe the best way to explore the city... but I saw so many accidents with bikes in the past in Amsterdam that I became a little more careful :roll: :lol: anyway there is nothing better to drive by bike on a sunny day through the quieter parts of Amsterdam :mrgreen:
I was trying to say Scan on Scan off in reference to the new card over the old stripkaart :lol:
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

LLMReb wrote: Mon 23rd Jul 2018 11:30 pm Is Mike Bike's still open??? I always rented from them in prior trips, but this trip I had only smoked just a couple of bowls and it was not on Kerkstraat at the usual local. Instead, King Bikes was at the adjacent spot. All I could think was that Google misled me somehow. But I walked up and down Kerkstraat 2 times to no avail.

Mike's is still open, but now only from the "original location" up north (it's on Prins Hendrikkade 176), they were gonna close the Kerkstraat location they told us last time we rented there. ,
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
samuraiwriter

Post by samuraiwriter »

Walk and tram.
Bikes terrify me as I tend to be less than sober whilst in Amsterdam. I'd rather not get in the way of responsible cyclists. :mrgreen: