Train Travel

Getting there and getting around.
Free Ben

Train Travel

Post by Free Ben »

Have used the multi day passes for the tram/bus/metro on most visits and found them really convenient.

Just wondering if there's an equivalent 24hour pass for trains or short of that, what might be the most practical way to buy a ticket to go Ams central- Den Haag- Rotterdam -ams central

Appreciate any advice
FB

Willjay

Re: Train Travel

Post by Willjay »

Free Ben wrote: Fri 22nd Feb 2019 05:00 pm Have used the multi day passes for the tram/bus/metro on most visits and found them really convenient.

Just wondering if there's an equivalent 24hour pass for trains or short of that, what might be the most practical way to buy a ticket to go Ams central- Den Haag- Rotterdam -ams central
Appreciate any advice
FB
They used to have tourist passes for the train before the union, now it’s that card you load money on and pay as you go
Have Fun
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
FODSmith

Post by FODSmith »

Free Ben wrote: Fri 22nd Feb 2019 05:00 pm what might be the most practical way to buy a ticket to go Ams central- Den Haag- Rotterdam -ams central
Buy an Amsterdam-Rotterdam return. You can break your journey as often as you like, so you can stop off at den Haag, and for that matter Haarlem, should you feel inclined. Just check beforehand that the train you're on is actually stopping wherever you intend to get off, because not all of them do.
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Better yet, go online and google "NS Dagkaartjes" it will tell you which major Dutch chain store brand will be carrying "dagkaartjes" (day passes for the NS trains). The stores that tend to participate are Hema, Etos, Albert Heijn and Kruidvat, and usually one of the above will be carrying the day passes at any given point of the year.

What is a day pass? Basically the day pass let's your travel all day/calendar date (on week days during commuter hours often not, so 6:30 to 9:30 in the morning and then 16:00 to 18:30 in the evening it's not valid on week days often), on all NS trains (exception is the "Intercity Direct", you have to pay an additional supplement fee for that, but I think it's per day, not per ride) , usually the tickets cost between 15-20 EUR, so do your research on NS website, if your roundtrip journey costs less than that amount then it's not worth it, but if it costs more and/or you plan to make multiple stops, definitely better to look into a dagkaartje promo.
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Tue 26th Feb 2019 04:33 pm Better yet, go online and google "NS Dagkaartjes" it will tell you which major Dutch chain store brand will be carrying "dagkaartjes" (day passes for the NS trains). The stores that tend to participate are Hema, Etos, Albert Heijn and Kruidvat, and usually one of the above will be carrying the day passes at any given point of the year.

What is a day pass? Basically the day pass let's your travel all day/calendar date (on week days during commuter hours often not, so 6:30 to 9:30 in the morning and then 16:00 to 18:30 in the evening it's not valid on week days often), on all NS trains (exception is the "Intercity Direct", you have to pay an additional supplement fee for that, but I think it's per day, not per ride) , usually the tickets cost between 15-20 EUR, so do your research on NS website, if your roundtrip journey costs less than that amount then it's not worth it, but if it costs more and/or you plan to make multiple stops, definitely better to look into a dagkaartje promo.
Nice tip thanks for sharing
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
Free Ben

Post by Free Ben »

Cheers for the info folks, much appreciated. I didn't realise that you could hop on/off in between your destination, very useful
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Free Ben wrote: Fri 1st Mar 2019 10:07 am Cheers for the info folks, much appreciated. I didn't realise that you could hop on/off in between your destination, very useful
Well you can't really unless you have one of day passes to which I was referring.
Free Ben

Post by Free Ben »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Fri 1st Mar 2019 12:59 pm
Free Ben wrote: Fri 1st Mar 2019 10:07 am Cheers for the info folks, much appreciated. I didn't realise that you could hop on/off in between your destination, very useful
Well you can't really unless you have one of day passes to which I was referring.
Is FODSmiths advice above not the case?
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

Free Ben wrote: Fri 1st Mar 2019 09:55 pm
It’s a little confusing you buy your ticket to cover the distance of travel, on a certain route not necessarily the train, so you could get off on route as long as you complete the run in the time allotted, but the day pass if you can find one is still the best deal hope this helps have fun whatever you do :mrgreen:
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Not sure, in past it (unofficially) probably was but now most stations have installed paned turnstile gates that read tickets and likely prevent such "altered itineraries" however the very distinct possibility that I'm mistaken could hold true.
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Fri 1st Mar 2019 10:12 pm

Not sure, in past it (unofficially) probably was but now most stations have installed paned turnstile gates that read tickets and likely prevent such "altered itineraries" however the very distinct possibility that I'm mistaken could hold true.
Dam good point, I’m old and keep forgetting about technology
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
macky

Post by macky »

Those gates work both ways ,went Lieden with group and got separated at central .Half got Lieden and had to wait till the rest came along with are tickets...damn gates would not let us out with out one .
FODSmith

Post by FODSmith »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Fri 1st Mar 2019 10:12 pm Not sure, in past it (unofficially) probably was but now most stations have installed paned turnstile gates that read tickets and likely prevent such "altered itineraries" however the very distinct possibility that I'm mistaken could hold true.
It's official. You can break your journey, so long as it's all on the same day. I don't know how it works with the barriers, but I assume they recognise the tickets.

https://support.nsinternational.nl/app/ ... rbreken%3F

https://www.ns.nl/producten/meest-gekocht/p/enkele-reis
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

FODSmith wrote: Mon 4th Mar 2019 09:45 pm
DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Fri 1st Mar 2019 10:12 pm Not sure, in past it (unofficially) probably was but now most stations have installed paned turnstile gates that read tickets and likely prevent such "altered itineraries" however the very distinct possibility that I'm mistaken could hold true.
It's official. You can break your journey, so long as it's all on the same day. I don't know how it works with the barriers, but I assume they recognise the tickets.

https://support.nsinternational.nl/app/ ... rbreken%3F

https://www.ns.nl/producten/meest-gekocht/p/enkele-reis
Well good to know. It should however be noted, for others, that this will only apply for stops that are on a given train line/route, and only for those which happen between your starting and end point (destination) indicated on your ticket. The line running between Rotterdam and Amsterdam is pretty much the only one with multiple worthwhile stops at that.

Finally, regardless of the above considerations, the day pass is simply a much better deal if you select the route all the way down to Rotterdam (or really if you're going any further south/west than Haarlem on that line), so always look into that before spending at least 50% (edit: double) more on an "enkele reis/dag retour" ticket. EDIT: I just checked, a round-trip ("return" for ye Olde English speakers) ticket between Amsterdam and Rotterdam costs 32 fucking EUR, which is double the cost of a day-pass, so this point stands more than ever, look into the "dagkaartjes" they're a faaarrrr better option!