Nieuwmarkt Metro

Getting there and getting around.
Comus

Nieuwmarkt Metro

Post by Comus »

so has anyone ever noticed the decor in nieuwmarkt metro station ..... the half trashed brick walls .... the demolition ball .... the big monochrome pictures of freaks getting battered over the bonce ..... here's a video explainer

I'm in shocks and stares
KeyMonCha

Re: Nieuwmarkt Metro

Post by KeyMonCha »

That was fascinating...

"Hoedt u voor de als links vermomde rechtsen, mijdt ze als pest, want ze zijn erger dan de rest"

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nieuwmarktrellen

Cheers, Comus!
Comus

Post by Comus »

i kind of remember the mess left after each battle between the police and the kabouters when i was a kid but i still feel a bit queezy when i see how totalitarian the feds were when they dealt with resistance to shit ideas back then.

"Hoedt u voor de als links vermomde rechtsen, mijdt ze als pest, want ze zijn erger dan de rest" ...... geen linkse draai unstoned :mrgreen: :thumbup:
I'm in shocks and stares
KeyMonCha

Post by KeyMonCha »

Yeah, it was shocking... All i could think was, 'weren't most of these people born during the war?'.... How could they act like that with innocent people just trying to defend their homes?

Sorry to hear you were around during this... Must have been quite disturbing for a child, thinking this sort of thing could happen to anyone...

I tried to find out what happened with the relocation of these people, or any compensation they may have received, but i couldn't really find much...

...Do you know what happened to them all, by any chance?
Comus

Post by Comus »

most people left to live in apartments in other areas of mokum ... kabouters moved into the vacant apartments pretty quickly and occupied the area .... when they were evicted during the riots they drifted into other squats in the surrounding area. this prevented some new roads being built and more metro building. we were squatting on and off around the area, mostly on zeedijk (the buddhist temple was built on the site of the place we were at the most) as dad was a session musician at the time, so we were back and forth from the uk. it was a mixture of excitment, danger, and total surrealism for me and my brother to be honest. i never remember feeling scared, just confused as to why the police and the government were being dicks.

some guys i know made a music video that sampled the film footage and sound recordings of what happened

I'm in shocks and stares