Boxing

Moderators: Balou, cantona7

Padge247

Re: Boxing

Post by Padge247 »

USBONGLORD wrote:Watch rocky 2 ..that's what I saw..A fucking show to set up a rematch...Justin looked hard as fuck :lol:
I didn't see the ring entrance, but that is just Mayweather and his celebrity status, I would just switch the channel for 10mins or so (maybe I would object if I had paid to watch). Rematch ? Doubt it, the fight was pretty one sided, with Alvarez not really showing signs of being the one to beat him. Amir Khan next (who will probably get knocked out, certainly will loose), then maybe Timothy Bradley or Marquez. Don't really know apart from those 3 mind.

Back to dconstructuk....

Yes he is douchebag, and yes he is a wife, or in this case girlfriend, beater (Ironic given that when he fought Corrales he did so saying he was doing it for women round the world, as Corrales was suspected of beating his wife at the time). But neither of these take away from the fact he is a good boxer. You don't seem to value boxing, more just violence ? That comes across wrong, I mean you are more into the pain and brutality, not the cleverness etc.

He is getting the dollar because there is not American heavyweight who can break down the Klitsckho. The money has traditionally been in the Heavyweight division (Ali, Tyson, Holyfield), but with no big US sensation to dominate it, the money has walked away, and here is Mayweather, a US guy who has dominated many divisions, is undefeated, and has an attitude. Not surprised he generates such revenue.

MMA. Well I actually don't mind it, used to be a big Fedor fan. However, this is a sport where unless Dana White says a fight can go ahead, it generally doesn't. Where fights can only go ahead if Dana White and the UFC pocket enough cash for themselves. Yes any PPV promoter will demand a cut, but there is demanding a cut, and then there is controlling everything like Dana White does.

Picking fights is a recipe for disaster ? How so ? A fighter should never be forced to fight someone, like I say if I know I am going to loose and I have to do this in an environment where I could suffer serious injury then no I wouldn't take a fight. That would be stupid. I mean you would be happy, I would probably get my head ripped off, plenty of blood for you to whoop and cheer about.

MMA has overtaken boxing ? In what way ? It doesn't generate as much revenue (even in these times where the biggest money attracting division is pretty quiet), less of a worldwide fan base (not dennying the large scale of the MMA fanbase, but in absolute terms less). It most certainly has overtaken boxing in terms of growth, but then again it is much much younger, you would have to expect this.

More exciting ? Yes probably. Generates more adrenaline I would have thought. But there are still times when the sport is very dull, when you have people on the floor grappling, trying to turn each other, getting nowhere, ending up with two grown men with no energy left, waiting for the remaining 2 mins of the 5 to be up. But yea generates more blood, broken bones so I guess so.

In another 5 years ? Yea maybe MMA will overtake boxing in revenue and audience, I certainly wouldn't bet against it. I don't know what is in the pipeline MMA wise (neither do I really with boxing, I am not that avid a watcher) but as a business it seems to go from strength to strength.

An MMA fighter would dominate a boxer ? No shit ! In a straight up fight (basically no holds barred, ok there are some MMA rules which depend on the promotion company but lets say no biting, elbows seem to be quite acceptable in some organisations so allow them) I would expect the guy who has usually studied a selection of fighting techniques to win. Stupid way determining who is 'best' really. It would be like putting an drag racing car against a touring car on a technical touring car circuit. I wonder if Randy Couture would have beaten James Toney in a boxing match........

My issue with MMA, is it just feels like I am watching 2 people just knock the shit out of each other. Ok there are a few rules, but it is violent enough to make you think there were not. Yes it can be exciting, but also I don't always know how I feel watching it, because in the end I just feel that people are watching it because they really want to see someone get beat up. Not because they dislike that person, just because they enjoy watching someone get the shit kicked out of them. It stops being about sport, about the contest, it just starts being about how badly one person can injure the other before it stops.

USbongLord

Post by USbongLord »

I'm gonna disagree with yer last statement respectfully...watching and doing are 2 diff things,train in both ,then tell me how you feel....in my gym we trained beside them for awhile till they started low blowing and kicking...many mma tough guys got ther bells rung in those months till they went away,..I for one was tired of getting kicked in the shins and nuts when we were training them in box tech,so wigs got split,and they left...it's fun to watch men rolling around on a mat together :lol: ...whatever ya like to watch,but never assume one is better then the other..it's who ya run into and how fast they are to react..good luck in yer new career :mrgreen: ...
rockin into the night
Padge247

Post by Padge247 »

Sorry if I made it sound like I thought either activity was easy, really not my intention to take away anything from the immense amount of training that goes into either. Nor do I mean to make it sound like I think MMA is based just around people fighting, of course people who compete are highly skilled in, usually, multiple martial arts and they know exactly what they are doing.

I also am not trying to say boxing is 'better' than MMA . Like you say it is completely down to personal preference, I like both. I was just trying to state (in my final paragraph) that for me, when watching MMA, I tend to loose sight of it being sport, and more just a fight. And when people come out with the attitude that 'boxing sucks, there isn't enough blood and people getting knocked out, too much running around, MMA is much better !' I feel that maybe other people aren't interested in the sport element, and that really all they are doing is baying for blood. Now I know that doesn't apply to everybody, and I am not trying to suggest it does, but I just feel uneasy about this desire for as much blood and damage as possible by (perhaps worryingly large) parts of society.

Enough critiques of society, time to smoke a joint =)

Out of interest did you used to box Usbonglord ? I am from Sheffield and loads of my friends used to do fitness training (or at least get advice) with Herol 'Bomber' Graham, I also had a friend who started training with Glyn Rhodes before he moved away =)
USbongLord

Post by USbongLord »

I did ,nothing more then a heavy club fighter for cash,then a trainer,now a 1/10 th owner of a gym ...I only fight people that wreck my buzz now :lol:
rockin into the night
Padge247

Post by Padge247 »

ah nice. I always wanted to take boxing up, but I was never fit enough or had the commitment to get myself to a point where I would be. If I ever meet you I better remember to not to ruin that buzz ;)
gixxer

Post by gixxer »

RIP ken Norton the man that broke ali,s jaw

a true great in mho the golden age of the heavyweights
RIP Lee Rigby

a fallen brother
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

Frampton done Belfast proud last night :D :mrgreen:
KEEP ER LIT
gixxer

Post by gixxer »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:Frampton done Belfast proud last night :D :mrgreen:
was there rusty, gr8 atmosphere as usual. the jackel will soon be strapping that world title belt on :wink:
RIP Lee Rigby

a fallen brother
Padge247

Post by Padge247 »

I watched this fight, good display. Parody (sorry if spelt wrong) never looked comfortable, not intending to knock him but Frampton will have much much much more challenging opponents to get a world title. Not saying he can't or won't do it mind !
gixxer

Post by gixxer »

Padge247 wrote:I watched this fight, good display. Parody (sorry if spelt wrong) never looked comfortable, not intending to knock him but Frampton will have much much much more challenging opponents to get a world title. Not saying he can't or won't do it mind !
barry will pick the right opponent m8,,,he learned from when he lost his title to stevie cruz in vegas :wink:
RIP Lee Rigby

a fallen brother
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

gixxer wrote:
Rusty Shackleford wrote:Frampton done Belfast proud last night :D :mrgreen:
was there rusty, gr8 atmosphere as usual. the jackel will soon be strapping that world title belt on :wink:
I had a ticket, something came up and I had to sell it on :evil:
Last edited by Rusty Shackleford on Sat 1st Feb 2014 03:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KEEP ER LIT
EasilySuede

Post by EasilySuede »