Friendly trash talking: US vs. England

Moderators: Balou, cantona7

Marco

Post by Marco »

Sir Niall of Essex-sire wrote:
I am happy we drew England, because you are (sorta) top-tier team the past 20 years. Not great, certainly not in the Brazil. France, Germany caliber at all. But certainly a better team than the US, which you guys so easily dismiss.

The same team you could not beat. Blaming you goalie is WEAK.

I will give you credit (seriously!), I appreciate you make your arguments about the game! Not that we start wars, our fans suck, etc. etc.

Bottom line, you are not a better team than the US until you a) you actually beat us, or b) you win something significant. Until that day, I don't want to hear England is better than the US
In regards to the fans, they don't really know the team, but that's not a hugely big issue IMO, hopefully people will learn the rules. It would after all be nice to see the US become more involved in truly international sports.

If we won outrightly there may be jokes being made, but we didn't win ( even though we scored your goal for you) so i can't rip too much, i'm just point out the stats that show England were the better team.

It's not blaming the Goalie as such, it's a mistake he made. The two shots on the English goal of any danger, he messed up the easier save, if he wouldn't of done it we would of won one nil. It's not saying he's a shit keeper, it's just saying that he was the one at fault. It's harsh but true man, the big stage got to him IMO, but he alone lost two points. It's not like the defense let Dempsey through, Dempsey took a pot shot that payed off, fair play for taking the chance, but it's a low level of skill.

The thing is man, teams standings are not measured against how they preform against the US, a team is measure in the context of the entire world. FIFA world rankings put us as a better team, that's the final word.
I give you that if England wins something big, or goes far, that makes them a better team. BUT, by the law of the playground, we played, you did not win. Period.

Maybe I am thinking about 'winning' in an overly-American way (which is why most Americans hate soccer, they cannot see the beauty of a tie game, in fact that disgusts most American sports fans).
Last edited by Marco on Mon 14th Jun 2010 06:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sir Niall of Essex-sire

Post by Sir Niall of Essex-sire »

stecleary84 wrote: there is only one stat that matters in football and when you look at it you were not the better team you were level par with USA.............no excuse me while i catch my breath after pissing myself at that FACT!
England have never been a great team and seems thewy moan about 1986 so much have you ever seen the footage of THAT year the did win the world cup? they ball didn't FULLY cross the line, so they have never won it on skill just a fuck up from a lines man and a ref that saw things different to what actually happened :lol:
The scoreboard is all that matters?

So France therefore deserved to beat Ireland and go to the world cup, after all what happens during the game doesn't matter.
:roll:
Defeating evil with a thing called love
Marco

Post by Marco »

stecleary84 wrote: there is only one stat that matters in football and when you look at it you were not the better team you were level par with USA.............no excuse me while i catch my breath after pissing myself at that FACT!
England have never been a great team and seems thewy moan about 1986 so much have you ever seen the footage of THAT year the did win the world cup? they ball didn't FULLY cross the line, so they have never won it on skill just a fuck up from a lines man and a ref that saw things different to what actually happened :lol:

So France therefore deserved to beat Ireland and go to the world cup, after all what happens during the game doesn't matter.

Without looking it up, who came in third in the 1960 World Cup.
cantona7
Location: Seattle- trips to the 'dam, 7 by the time i caught up with freedom i was out of breathe

Post by cantona7 »

i guess i'm a realist and i ask myself had we played england 10 times or shit in a north american style best of 7 how many times would team usa have gotten a favorable result? it was tim howard and a few members of the defense who got usa the draw not greens blunder. had we had a shitty keeper in there i think the result would have been a little diff. howard imo was the only up usa had on england at any position. just an opinion from someone neutral. now that england and usa have played i can go on rooting for england and usa to beat whoever they play.
educating myself and waiting for the next trip.
instagram @shooter_mcdabbin
Sir Niall of Essex-sire

I give you that if England wins something big, or goes far, that makes them a better team. BUT, by the law of the playground, we played, you did not win. Period.

Maybe I am thinking about 'winning' in an overly-American way (which is why most Americans hate soccer, they cannot see the beauty of a tie game, in fact that disgusts most American sports fans).
No we didn't win, but as i said in context of the English games and play against the rest of the world we are a better team. Fair play we didn't win, we at least scored without the help of the other team.

I wouldn't say that, i think that you guys should be proud of your performance, you did after all hold out. My point is that if it was any other team than England, people would fancy the 8th ranked team in the world with Rooney playing in the form he is as at worst a solid outside bet. But because we have Three Lions on our badge and sing God Save the Queen people rubbish the team. Which is fair enough, but at least judge the team on its performance, a team which didn't drop a point in qualification and drew against the next favorite team in the group due to an individual error.
cantona7
Location: Seattle- trips to the 'dam, 7 by the time i caught up with freedom i was out of breathe

Post by cantona7 »

Marco wrote:

im guessing portugal. eusubio was on that team. i think nk came in 4th.
Sir Niall of Essex-sire

Marco wrote:

No idea my man, that was before even my parents were born. Like i said this is the first year i've actually given a shit about the world cup, partly because it's the first time in a while i've fancied our chances. I am a England Rugby fan first, a England Cricket fan second, a London Irish fan third and a England Football team fourth.
Last edited by Sir Niall of Essex-sire on Mon 14th Jun 2010 06:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stecleary84

Post by stecleary84 »

yep your right, the goal was going to happen anyway, just the way it happened was frowned upon
Marco

Post by Marco »

cantona7 wrote:i guess i'm a realist and i ask myself had we played england 10 times or shit in a north american style best of 7 how many times would team usa have gotten a favorable result? it was tim howard and a few members of the defense who got usa the draw not greens blunder. had we had a shitty keeper in there i think the result would have been a little diff. just an opinion from someone neutral.
Exactly. I guess all I am is saying, show enough respect to realize you did not win. The draw was due to the American defense as much as anything. We played respectable and I for one was proud of my team. You guys love your team, and I have learned a bit about that love from this thread (respect!). Everyone expected the US to fold, but they didn't. When you are a fan of US football (and I watched my first World Cup in 74!) you have to take small steps.

Of course England is better, and in 10 games the US would be lucky to win 1 or 2. But on Saturday we were equals.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Marco wrote:
Sir Niall of Essex-sire wrote: The scoreboard is all that matters?

No idea my man, that was before even my parents were born. Like i said this is the first year i've actually given a shit about the world cup, partly because it's the first time in a while i've fancied our chances. I am a England Rugby fan first, a England Cricket fan second, a London Irish fan third and a England Football team fourth.
Which means, the scoreboard is really what matters!
Sir Niall of Essex-sire

Marco wrote:
cantona7 wrote:i guess i'm a realist and i ask myself had we played england 10 times or shit in a north american style best of 7 how many times would team usa have gotten a favorable result? it was tim howard and a few members of the defense who got usa the draw not greens blunder. had we had a shitty keeper in there i think the result would have been a little diff. just an opinion from someone neutral.
Exactly. I guess all I am is saying, show enough respect to realize you did not win. The draw was due to the American defense as much as anything. We played respectable and I for one was proud of my team. You guys love your team, and I have learned a bit about that love from this thread (respect!). Everyone expected the US to fold, but they didn't. When you are a fan of US football (and I watched my first World Cup in 74!) you have to take small steps.

Of course England is better, and in 10 games the US would be lucky to win 1 or 2. But on Saturday we were equals.
Niall an English fan wrote:I wouldn't say that, i think that you guys should be proud of your performance, you did after all hold out.
Sir Niall of Essex-sire

yep your right, the goal was going to happen anyway, just the way it happened was frowned upon
Fair play man, i'd say that teams performance on the pitch and the pocession they have (regardless of whether it's boring or not) is an important part of the match.
stecleary84

Post by stecleary84 »

[quote="Sir Niall of Essex-sire] But because we have Three Lions on our badge and sing God Save the Queen people rubbish the team.[/quote]

GET THE FUCK OUT!! nothing to do with lizzy or your lions, its all to do with your press. sky and bbc have the trophy all shined up and on display LONG before you even play your first game. fair enough england won the world cup in 66 but come on even the english have to be getting pissed off hearing about it at this stage. dont get me wrong its no small feat to have won it, credit where it is due and all but im 26 and as long as i can remember iv heard about it any time england paly
cantona7

Post by cantona7 »

Marco wrote:

Niall an English fan wrote:I wouldn't say that, i think that you guys should be proud of your performance, you did after all hold out.

hows england today weatherwise niall? you going to watch italy?

and marcho basically what i was saying had we had a less skilled keeper in there the score could have easily been 3- 1 or so to england. and shit props to green too he made a clutch save later in the match to deny altidore.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Marco wrote:

A bit begrudging, but there :lol: Of course, the post was not directed at you alone.