FIFA WORLD CUP 2006

Moderators: Balou, cantona7

Doog

Post by Doog »

Doog wrote:The quarter finals look like good match ups, but the teams will probably adopt a more negative let's not lose approach to the games which might make them less of a spectacle.

It's all about winning.
And that sometimes makes losing hard to take as illustrated yesterday by the Argentina players who utterly disgraced themselves, their supporters, their country as a whole and the tournament with their behaviour after losing to Germany in the penalty shoot-out that followed the 1-1 draw after 120 minutes of football.

England's "supporters" have been up to their old tricks throughout the tournament (provoked/unprovoked) and I fear that there may be far worse scenes off the pitch than the ones on it yesterday in Germany should they lose to Portugal today.

This will no doubt partly be down to the hundreds (if not thousands) of pounds that England supporters have spent on getting to Germany and gettiing to and from games coupled with the fact that many feel that England have played poorly during the tournament.

Surely if you don't deserve to win something then you shouldn't go around smashing up towns when it doesn't happen.

Whatever happened to the good old British stiff upper lip?

The World Cup has been overall very enjoyable and it is a great shame that it is ending in such a shambolic fashion.

Let's keep it friendly out there.

Boner

Post by Boner »

Doog wrote:England's "supporters" have been up to their old tricks throughout the tournament (provoked/unprovoked) and I fear that there may be far worse scenes off the pitch than the ones on it yesterday in Germany should they lose to Portugal today.

This will no doubt partly be down to the hundreds (if not thousands) of pounds that England supporters have spent on getting to Germany and gettiing to and from games coupled with the fact that many feel that England have played poorly during the tournament.

Surely if you don't deserve to win something then you shouldn't go around smashing up towns when it doesn't happen.

Whatever happened to the good old British stiff upper lip?

The World Cup has been overall very enjoyable and it is a great shame that it is ending in such a shambolic fashion.

Let's keep it friendly out there.
Have you got a source of all this trouble the English are causing Doog or are you just speculating again?
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
Doog

Post by Doog »

Only the reports on the news, most recently from yesterday where 25 England fans were arrested in Gelsenkirchen (which is apparently where they will play Portugal).

There have been other minor scuffles throughout the tournament involving England fans (and obviously other nationalities as well) announced on the news.

Nothing too severe by all accounts but still makes the news.

I am not suggesting in any way that ALL England supporters are hooligans or that the England fans arrested in Germany were totally responsible for what happened.

Must be hard not to try and help your fellow countryman if you see him/her in a spot of bother in a foreign country.
Boner

Post by Boner »

Doog wrote:Only the reports on the news, most recently from yesterday where 25 England fans were arrested in Gelsenkirchen (which is apparently where they will play Portugal).

There have been other minor scuffles throughout the tournament involving England fans (and obviously other nationalities as well) announced on the news.

Nothing too severe by all accounts but still makes the news.

I am not suggesting in any way that ALL England supporters are hooligans or that the England fans arrested in Germany were totally responsible for what happened.

Must be hard not to try and help your fellow countryman if you see him/her in a spot of bother in a foreign country.
So why the big sppech? Your as bad as the media for blowing things out of proportion, and that makes me really fucking angry I'm sick of people saying the English are this, that or the other.

Clicky This is the worst thats happened over there and look its not involving the English!
Mark_d

Post by Mark_d »

yeah i heard about the germans and polish fighting.....the polish are fuckin mental apparently!

readin up on hooliganism a bit and england are fuck all now, its just cos in the past we were bad we get alot of media, main thing we have now are just a few real trouble makers, and alot of pissed people who just chuck chairs about ha ha! :p

its the polish and russians that you wanna be careful of! ( dont think russia are in the world cup but fuckin hell after lookin at videos online they are fuckin hardcore)
Doog

Post by Doog »

Boner wrote:I'm sick of people saying the English are this, that or the other.
I'm sick of hearing about England fans showing gratitude to their various hosts over the years by smashing a chair or a bottle or whatever comes to hand at the time over their heads.

Hey, England fans even trashed their own back yard after Euro 96.

Seriously, I'm not trying to wind anyone up, but it's not the first time it's happened now is it?
Boner

Post by Boner »

Doog wrote:
Boner wrote:I'm sick of people saying the English are this, that or the other.
I'm sick of hearing about England fans showing gratitude to their various hosts over the years by smashing a chair or a bottle or whatever comes to hand at the time over their heads.

Hey, England fans even trashed their own back yard after Euro 96.

Seriously, I'm not trying to wind anyone up, but it's not the first time it's happened now is it?
Nobody has said they are saints but people like you speculating about the fans doesn't make it any better, over the past few years we've got so much better but I suppose your of the thinking that people can't change, we are by no means the worst for hooliganism any more, the Turkish, the Polish, the Germans, the Dutch all have huge hooligan followings but I see no mention of that in your post.

Theres always going to be some trouble it always happens when football and beer get together its inevitable it would get better if idiots didn't speculate, something you've had a habit of doing recently (junkies in Vondelpark and the ozone thread come to mind) if you haven't got the facts to back things up then I suggest you keep your opinion to yourself.
Boner

Post by Boner »

Rooneys a prick!

(sorry just had to say that)
Valo

Post by Valo »

Boner wrote:Rooneys a prick!
What for??? Trying to stay on his feet and win the ball rather than dive like countless other countries have been doing on a regular basis. I agree he should not of raised his hands to Ronaldo but you see that kind of shoving all the time when players disagree about a decision - not to mention the unsporting actions of Ronaldo or this post will go on for ever!!

Rooney certainly didn't deserve a red card and the rest of the attacking players should shoulder some blame. The midfield (apart from Hargreaves and Lennon who were awesome) were under par all tournament (mainly Lampard and Beckham) and it finally showed against a half decent team who will go no further than the semi's.

Ok rant over - I know we weren't good enough again, simple as that and the future doesn't look great with our next manager either!!
~ Is that a grinder in your pocket? ~
Mark_d

Post by Mark_d »

i think today we played the best we have all tournament, we played a tough team and stepped up! true we werent amazing but with 10 men we still held on and created chances!

LENNON...fucking hell legend, he's amazing!

Rooney shouldnt have been sent off i dont think, that little push though wrong was nothin compared to what happened to Deco in the last game...what happened to hte dutch player, NOTHING

but Ricardo did well savin them penalties

and Doog....why arent you talkin about the German and Polish fans???? THEY ARE SMASHIN UP THEIR OWN COUNTRY!

im not gettin into a big stress here btw not tryin to make this like the ' why weed should not be legal' thing
Boner

Post by Boner »

Valo wrote:
Boner wrote:Rooneys a prick!
What for??? Trying to stay on his feet and win the ball rather than dive like countless other countries have been doing on a regular basis. I agree he should not of raised his hands to Ronaldo but you see that kind of shoving all the time when players disagree about a decision - not to mention the unsporting actions of Ronaldo or this post will go on for ever!!

Rooney certainly didn't deserve a red card and the rest of the attacking players should shoulder some blame. The midfield (apart from Hargreaves and Lennon who were awesome) were under par all tournament (mainly Lampard and Beckham) and it finally showed against a half decent team who will go no further than the semi's.

Ok rant over - I know we weren't good enough again, simple as that and the future doesn't look great with our next manager either!!
Dont get me wrong I dont think he stamped on the guy I think he got sent off for the push more so and if thats what the ref reports then my statement will stand he's a dick.

Overall I think we were the better team and I'm really fucking gutted we're out but thats football I only hope that our fans dont act like cocks and prove Doog right.
Mark_d

Post by Mark_d »

Boner wrote:

Overall I think we were the better team and I'm really fucking gutted we're out but thats football I only hope that our fans dont act like cocks and prove Doog right.

i think there will be some trouble, pissed people who are angry and upset, but i think the police should be able to handle it!
Valo

Post by Valo »

On the bright side, at least losing to Portugal on a penatly shootout in a quater finals reminds me of being in Amsterdam :-)

Only this time I will have to setlle with something less potent that grey mist crystals to soften the blow of going out another major tournament!!
~ Is that a grinder in your pocket? ~
DrGonzo

Post by DrGonzo »

Rooney should have been able to see the bigger picture..... that's the long and short of it.

And we practiced for exactly this situation........ None of the teams left in it deserve the win..... none....each team has playe dfootball in the wrong way and furthered their own aims by cheating..... a sad state of affairs indeed.
When the going gets weird, the weird get going!
Lafe

Post by Lafe »

Boner quoth
I'm sick of people saying the English are this, that or the other.

We colonials who travel are well acquainted with this :-)

Seriously, major condolences to the English. That's a hell of a way to lose a match. I have not watched football in the past, but I figured if so many people are so passionate about it, there must be something to it. Yesterday's matches did not disappoint a neutral observer.

A large LCD screen and high definition broadcast makes it very nice :-)

While consoling the English, I'll also congratulate the French.....

It's an interesting game, and many of the nuances are lost on me. I will keep watching. Much of the commentary here is about the officiating. I take it the officials have issued quite a few questionable penalties? Often, in American football or hockey, at playoff time the officials "let them play", meaning fewer penalites for incidental contact. It looks like the World Cup officials have a tighter rein on the game than was expected, yes?