So the Weed pass thing? and your thoughts?

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
Uncle Ron

Re: So the Weed pass thing? and your thoughts?

Post by Uncle Ron »

joossy wrote:"What accommodation there will be for local requirements has not yet been finalized"
"accommodation" read special allowance. "Local requirements" read amsterdam.
Card system and/or registering, nothing to do with tourists, the article makes that very clear, no need to read into anything.
Next...
... :mrgreen:

joossy

Post by joossy »

oh dear Ron, your determined to be the doom monger.......

It is clear that Amsterdam is not going to stop the "weed tourist" why cant you just rejoice instead of negatively speculating all the time.
Jasmeena

Post by Jasmeena »

on 31st October this was posted

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 62258.html

"The new government has scrapped plans for a national "weed pass" that would have been available only to residents, and would have effectively banned tourists from Amsterdam's marijuana cafés.

However, under a pact unveiled this week, cities can bar foreigners from weed shops if they choose. Amsterdam opposes a ban, saying it would hurt tourism."

An earlier post from DutchNews.nl:

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2 ... fee_sh.php

And here's the official news:

http://frontpage.fok.nl/nieuws/570008/1 ... shops.html

"Tourists are welcome after 1 January in coffeeshops in Amsterdam. The new coalition of VVD and the PvdA therefore offers the space, says Mayor Eberhard van der Laan Thursday in the Volkskrant. The Agreement states that the wietpas disappears and that municipalities have a key role in the observance of the rules."

My personal thoughts are that it should go back to the way it was... there is an abundance of illegal weed on the streets in the south - it needs to be controlled.
So far, the weed pass is still active in the south.. was asked for membership details again y'day.
"Don't step on the grass... smoke it!!"
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

joossy wrote:oh dear Ron, your determined to be the doom monger.......
It is clear that Amsterdam is not going to stop the "weed tourist" why cant you just rejoice instead of negatively speculating all the time.
You say Doom Monger, I say being a realist and pragmatist.
I see things as they are, not how I wish they would be.
I've nearly always been a voice of reason, standing out especially among the knee-jerk reactionaries and the puff-puff-pass crowd.
Weed pass yes, ok. Weed pass no, ok. Not my country, not my problem. This doesn't mean I don't support the cannabis culture, I do, but again - not my country.
My country has enough problems without me or my fellow Americans looking into others back yard. My government does that already, hosers.
Is it clear? Besides what the mayor of Amsterdam has stated (let's not forget, he's a politician), what else has given a CLEAR view?
The Dutch Parliament? They are in favor of the pass system, they voted it into law, and the new government hasn't made moves to stop it (AFAIK).
Not much has changed since the new government took office, the law will still go into effect Nationally on 1 Jan 2013 UNLESS the Parliament stops it, and they stated they won't.
As for individual cities, the wording is still being worked out - meaning no clear definition of what will happen, only speculation among the masses. Get it yet?
Some good advice for the masses (not everyone) - chill out, don't get all fired up because your weed induced hazy vision of the future is ruined by reality.
I'm not a doom monger, I'm a realist and pragmatist. Try it some time, you might find it enlightening...
Next...
Old Timer

Post by Old Timer »

Uncle Ron wrote:I'm a realist and pragmatist. Try it some time, you might find it enlightening...
Next...
I too consider myself a realist, and I think that the reality is that the politicians realize that it's not going to happen as they wanted it to, especially in Amsterdam (as I predicted from day one if anyone cares to check).
Now they're trying to find the right wording so that they don't appear to have been defeated.
Ron, if you had to make a guess (educated guess based on the info currently available), would you guess that the weed pass will be implemented in Amsterdam, or that it won't?
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

Old Timer wrote:
Uncle Ron wrote:I'm a realist and pragmatist. Try it some time, you might find it enlightening...
Next...
I too consider myself a realist, and I think that the reality is that the politicians realize that it's not going to happen as they wanted it to, especially in Amsterdam (as I predicted from day one if anyone cares to check).
Now they're trying to find the right wording so that they don't appear to have been defeated.
Ron, if you had to make a guess (educated guess based on the info currently available), would you guess that the weed pass will be implemented in Amsterdam, or that it won't?
IF the Lord Mayor of Amsterdam (and the City Council) stand firm, den Haag would have two choices - fire the lot or let them run their city.
My guess based on available information, no weed pass, not only for Amsterdam but The Netherlands as a whole.
As you stated, they are trying to find the right wording, and I think it will be to empower the local municipalities whether to restrict access to foreigners.
Those municipalities that choose to restrict access, can do so by simply requiring a valid form of identification (Passport, drivers license, etc..) be presented upon entry into a coffee shop AND/OR wherever cannabis is consumed. Too easy, and with no additional costs. Since shops are checked on an irregular basis, the govt. could easily add another box or two on the checklist stating the shop was inspected/checked for the presence of foreigners. Still too easy...
Happiness is having unlimited access for all (over 21 that is)... :shock: :lol:
Old Timer

Post by Old Timer »

Uncle Ron wrote: My guess based on available information, no weed pass, not only for Amsterdam but The Netherlands as a whole.
That's what I thought you'd say.
Although I can understand why some people misinterpreted some of your comments.
Hopefully, the next thing we read about it is official written policy.
I think we've heard all possible speculations numerous times by now.
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

Old Timer wrote:
Uncle Ron wrote: My guess based on available information, no weed pass, not only for Amsterdam but The Netherlands as a whole.
That's what I thought you'd say.
Although I can understand why some people misinterpreted some of your comments.
Hopefully, the next thing we read about it is official written policy.
I think we've heard all possible speculations numerous times by now.
:wink:
Slip & Sal

Post by Slip & Sal »

Old Timer wrote:I think we've heard all possible speculations numerous times by now.
I might not like someone, but even I now when they are right. This is the ultimate point of the thread now. We don't know yet, just stop F@#$ing guessing and going on, we all speculated hard, good shit! :mrgreen: I admit it does look good :) but wait for it.....

I didn't start this bullshiza for us to prove who was the rightest one or who has the biggest hoo-ha. So let's all just chill, take some of Uncle Ron advice and wait and see. Try to make the next post in this thread the actual affirmation of 'No' Weedpass in Amsterdam. After that maybe you can all call me (Slip) asshole to my face for starting this massive quagmire of literature.

Man! I wish Marco had a gun the day I thought about starting this thread! :mrgreen:
I don't take drugs, I am Drugs.
Old Timer

Post by Old Timer »

Slip & Sal wrote: I might not like someone, but even I now when they are right.
I can accept that you don't like me, not that you know me, but that's fine.
At least you didn't wish me dead like you did a day or 2 ago! :evil:
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

Old Timer wrote:
Slip & Sal wrote: I might not like someone, but even I now when they are right.
I can accept that you don't like me, not that you know me, but that's fine.
At least you didn't wish me dead like you did a day or 2 ago! :evil:
Oh shit...... :shock:
:mrgreen: and Zippy have just left the building... see ya
Slip & Sal

Post by Slip & Sal »

:mrgreen:
I don't take drugs, I am Drugs.
wietroker

Post by wietroker »

Holland plunges back into recession. Though coffeeshops are only a small part of economy, it would look bad to turn any tourists away when Dutch consumer spending is also down.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/11/1 ... LF20121115
Jasmeena

Post by Jasmeena »

I went into the coffeeshop where I'm registered today, for supplies.
They didn't ask me for my passport again... and this time my Dutch hubby came inside with me.
There was no argument about him not being registered.. only that our car was parked on double yellow lines! (He asked if we were planning to sit down)
LOL
The owner of the coffeeshop also said they (coffeeshops in Eindhoven) would be informed about what will happen (re weedpass) tomorrow (Friday Nov 16).
"Don't step on the grass... smoke it!!"
wietroker

Post by wietroker »

Just announced in parliament:
http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/2109 ... hop__.html

Here's the crap translation:
Wietpas Abolished

Municipality may approach coffeeshop self filling

THE HAGUE -
Municipalities may fix their policy on coffee shops and drug nuisance will determine. Writes Minister Ivo Opstelten Monday in a letter to the Lower House. For the whole country will be that visitors to coffeeshops must prove that they live in the Netherlands, but municipalities may decide when they will maintain that policy.

Opstelten confident that together with local law enforcement to make good plans to combat nuisance. "At the local level, it is best to understand what measures are effective," said Opstelten.
Municipalities can the minister himself priorities. For example, they first coffee shops close or coffee shops away from schools places before they go check coffee shops serve only people living in the Netherlands.
Tourists
It offers large cities with many tourists, like Amsterdam, still some space. The capital would such other priorities, so that tourists some time in the coffee shops welcome. Opstelten did not mention any date on which the municipalities have to enforce the rules appearance.
Visitors can coffeeshops with their identity card or residence permit, together with an extract from the municipal personal records prove that they live in the Netherlands. Incidentally, the municipalities also free to continue with the 'wietpas', which on Monday is no longer required in the south of the country.
Nuisance
The registration of customers of coffee shops in Opstelten no longer necessary because the nuisance is reduced. At the same time he wants Dutch who had difficulty with the registration and therefore their drugs bought on the street, back to the coffee shop lure.
Opstelten advises municipalities for the new year to make a plan, because the new rules will apply. He stressed that his policy is not a free ticket to do nothing. "I must see that there is tackled seriously," says Opstelten.
Strong weed
Minister Opstelten expects further "fast" with rules that are strong marijuana and hashish in coffeeshops must repel. This year is expected to no longer work, he thinks.
VVD and PvdA spoke the coalition agreed that the content of active substance in cannabis to a ceiling to be bound. Under the new rules there should be no more than 15 percent THC in cannabis sit. "Hard drugs do not belong in the coffee shop at home," said the minister.
Long and short of it is that they still want it to be only locals and no tourists but ultimately councils can decide when and how to implement. Clearly a climbdown from the government and won't be forcing anything.
Last edited by wietroker on Mon 19th Nov 2012 09:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.