More trouble for Coffeeshops in "The Wallen"

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
Ingi Blingi

More trouble for Coffeeshops in "The Wallen"

Post by Ingi Blingi »

So, the shitty news is that a judge today decided that it's ok for the city councel to close all coffeeshops in the Red Light District :shock:
This is effecting 18 streets in the center, but it's not informed about how many shops this is effecting. Sad day for everyone :(
http://www.parool.nl/parool/nl/4024/AMS ... eden.dhtml

Don't panic, it's organic!
Papi

Re: More trouble for Coffeeshops in "The Wallen"

Post by Papi »

So to be brutallly honest, following the allmighty judge's logic: it's less depravating if there are hookers of every kind, on every corner of RLD than it is for some of the coffeeshops to be opened there? Something tells me this guy while being in RLD, follows only the blue lights... What an asshole.
Edibles on a plane is my middle fucking name
DedsOne

Post by DedsOne »

Damn sad news :(
jiffa

Post by jiffa »

Some good news would be nice just bad news on bad news

Sad times indeed

Keep fighting the good fight
Jail for growing a plant laughed the gypsy!
worldcitizen1723

Post by worldcitizen1723 »

What terrible news for everyone. Is there any way to fight or appeal?
It is so sad to watch our beloved city being dismantled piece by piece
tot ziens

Post by tot ziens »

To be honest it's not really "our" city is it? I wonder what the residents think?
Lemon Haze

Post by Lemon Haze »

I'm as left wing as they get but in this case the government should let the free market decide. If there is enough business for 1000 cs's to function and make a profit then that's what people want. When governments try to alter markets by forcing retail shops where they wouldn't naturally be it never has a good ending for all involved. I wonder how long it will be until the government begins to see how much tourist money is lost to the US before it changes its mind. Go on airbnb and there are tons of smoker friendly apts for rent in denver. Won't be long before us tourists spend their holidays smoking and skiing rather than hanging out im vondelpark.
"Drugs induce paranoia and psychosis in people who have never taken any." Terence McKenna
Not_the_monk

Post by Not_the_monk »

What I wonder is when the tipping point will be reached? In ~20 years since the licences were issued the number of coffeeshops in Amsterdam has more than halved and every year it seems we lose more and more without any new ones opening. The number is pretty startling. How much longer can that carry on before unlicenced outlets, operating how they did to begin with, start to spring up?

I mean, from the perspective of the coffeeshops themselves, obviously nobody wants to get arrested, but at one time people working in the shops must have been taking that risk daily. Has the culture changed that much? And what the hell was the point in licences, tolerance statements etc from the perspective of the BCD if they are just going to be gotten rid of piece by piece instead?
Quazer

Post by Quazer »

I heard an interesting story about licences from a former shop owner last summer: ..."suddenly the city offered us a coffeeshop licence (a licence wasn't needed before the early 90s)... we were happy about the license because it seemed we would only benefit, we thought it would protect our business... soon afterwards the city attached many laws and regulations to a license, which led to the first big wave of coffeeshops closing..."

So basicly the city first made it optional for shops to obtain such licences, then made it law and later closed all shops which went against the licence rules.

The 250 meter rule and the RLD project are just the tip of the shitberg.
Smith2

Post by Smith2 »

In light of what Quazer's said, the end of the article Ingi linked to is even more depressing: De ondernemers hebben volgens de rechtbank geen recht op financiële compensatie. 'Coffeeshophouders hebben als normaal bedrijfsrisico te aanvaarden dat aan het gedogen van de verkoop van softdrugs een einde kan komen', schrijft de rechtbank in de uitspraak.

In other words, it's an occupational hazard for coffeeshops to be closed down whenever the powers that be decide to, with no claim to compensation. It just shows how nasty governments can be. 'Sure, we're happy to take your tax money, but don't think that gives you the right to be treated like a real business, you low-life druggie.'
Stonedisland

Post by Stonedisland »

Smith2 wrote:
In other words, it's an occupational hazard for coffeeshops to be closed down whenever the powers that be decide to, with no claim to compensation. It just shows how nasty governments can be. 'Sure, we're happy to take your tax money, but don't think that gives you the right to be treated like a real business, you low-life druggie.'
You have to remember that these shops are selling an illegal product. Whether or not you believe weed should be categorized in a different class in the law is irrelevant to how the policy currently is in Holland. As it is a policy of tolerance to an illegal substance, they have the right to take taxes as well as offer no financial compensation in case they must close down, treating the shops like a quasi-business.
bigdaddyk

Post by bigdaddyk »

it won't be long until Barcelona becomes the best weed destination if things carry on like this in the dam
dam aint the only place in nl
worldcitizen1723

Post by worldcitizen1723 »

tot ziens wrote:To be honest it's not really "our" city is it? I wonder what the residents think?
never said it was OUR city

said it was OUR (acd's) beloved city…..it is the city we all love.

i do believe that is a true statement.
treetop

Post by treetop »

bigdaddyk wrote:it won't be long until Barcelona becomes the best weed destination if things carry on like this in the dam
suntan
Last edited by treetop on Tue 11th Oct 2016 09:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
How much did you produce?
Binman

Post by Binman »

treetop wrote:
bigdaddyk wrote:it won't be long until Barcelona becomes the best weed destination if things carry on like this in the dam
suntan lotion, check, spanish lessons, check. social club hook up, check

Spending less money on just about everything including weed, check. Not getting ripped off with shit weed by asshole BT's, check.

Food that isn't mainly dairy or in a croquet, check.

For my money NL is sending a clear message to us all. We don't want your tourist euros. Time to move on perhaps....

Time to start planning the Barcelona Coffee shop directory methinks. :idea:

A social club hook up thread might be a good place to start. :?:
+1