Weed and Anxiety/Panic Attacks

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
jokahsmokah90

Weed and Anxiety/Panic Attacks

Post by jokahsmokah90 »

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum because I'm smoking cannabis but I never got deep into this subject so I wanna learn something about it.

And I just got a question for you all because I'm going to Amsterdam for the first time next month. :mrgreen:
Just in case... I also looked up for this topic but I didn't find a helpful answer til now! So I hope I'll get one for everyone who has the same problem because I'm sure there are a lot of people with the same problem.

For sure I also wanna smoke something when I'm there and this is the thing. I started smoking with 17 and became a regular smoker quickly. Not something on a daily basis but quite often. And in the same year after starting to smoke it I got a very very bad trip from smoking pot where I thought I was dying and shit (the setting was the worst you could have because it was rushed and at work and all... :roll:). In addition I was always a little "excited" and tense before smoking it because of waiting for the high but I don't have the same thing with alcohol. (Don't know why.)

Since then I couldn't smoke the same. Always when I wanted to smoke I became very stressed and it didn't feel the same since the panic attack. So I stopped smoking it and now about a year ago I started smoking it again but just like 1-3 times a month (I'm 5 years older now). Until now it didn't feel that bad but every time I'm smoking I'm aware and think about the bad panic attack.

I have to admit that I'm quite a sensitive person so I'm looking for tips to get over it or be careful with the usage when I'm in Amsterdam (because the THC is stronger there). Is it true that I could mild the effect when I'm drinking constantly water before, during and after smoking? Should I eat good before it?
I also informed myself about different cannabis strains and found out that less THC and more CBD (or maybe indica weed?) could be my thing.
Do you all recommend a weedsort in the coffee shop I should look for and try which won't trigger the anxiety (and leaves me clear-headed)?

Hoping that you guys have great tips because I want to enjoy smoking weed again! Wishing you all a good evening.

- JokahSmokah90 8)

Pierre von Mondragon

Re: Weed and Anxiety/Panic Attacks

Post by Pierre von Mondragon »

According to Neil Young, yeah him, the smell of crushed black pepper reduces the paranoia, recent medical research SEEMS to back it up, try it, what's to lose?
jokahsmokah90

Post by jokahsmokah90 »

Cool tip. Will definitely try it.
Do you guys have other tips? Or maybe strains I should get in Amsterdam that would fit for people like me? :mrgreen:
Marduk

Post by Marduk »

1. Smoke less. Only take 1-2 hits from a joint and wait. By that, the high doesn't kick in that brutally and you can build it up softly and see where it leads. If you get uncomfortable, stop and try another strain or wait longer inbetween. (And yes, eating before is helpful)

2. Try good outdoor weed since that is a tad weaker. (Paradox or Yo-Yo usually have good quality)

3. Marroccan hash (i.e. Super Polm) tends to have a more relaxing effect.

4. CBD strains tend to cut of the unpleasent edges of THC and especially "energetic" THC-V.

5. Sativas tend to be more trippy, which often leads to paranoia/anxiety.
But not all Sativas do that and there are Indicas that are trippy as shit. (Generally speaking, Sativa vs Indica is not really a valid differentiation)
Also some shops have a vague description of the expected high. Look for "happy" strains, NOT i.e. "euphoric" or trippy/racey. "Euphoria" is one of those terms that's often a bit misleading when found in descriptions. And in addition, what feels euphoric/uplifting for some might be way too much for others who are too sensitive.
You also might wanna ask the budtender for advice. The people in good CSs like Utopia, Kadinsky or Club Media know their stuff most of the time.

6. You have to try foryourself, since every strain works different on everyone and in addition to that, every strain has a shitload of variations.

7. Some strains that can be found around Amsterdam that might help:
Leaning towards Sativa: Chocolope, Jack Herer, Kali Mist (can be too much for some, but usually has a warm, feel-good effect),
Towards Indica: Blue Dream, Blueberry, Bubblegum (depends), Greyberry (Blueberry+Bubblegum), Blue Cheese, Hindu Kush (from CS - "Club Media")
Last edited by Marduk on Fri 8th Jul 2016 12:27 am, edited 6 times in total.
Marduk

Post by Marduk »

A list that might help, although I wouldn't take it for granted.

i.e. Sour Diesel made me anxious like crazy and also AK-47 can do that, depending on the variation you might find.
Also Amnesia Haze might be too strong for some. But you get the idea...

https://www.leafly.com/start-exploring/crush-anxiety
Not_the_monk

Post by Not_the_monk »

Firstly, do you smoke tobacco? If not, do you smoke it in joints? Nicotine can hit people weirdly if they aren't tobacco smokers.

Don't drink water "constantly", keeping yourself hydrated is always a good thing but overhydration is not good for you generally. Just be sensible with that and avoid too many caffeinated drinks. Sugary beverages are good though, in moderation to avoid a gacky stomach ofc.

Definitely eat plenty. A full stomach is a great ward against the jitters. It is so easy on trips to Amsterdam not to eat 3 square meals a day and just live on crap/snacks, don't do that.

Don't mix with alcohol. Definitely not to any significant extent.

I'd avoid stronger sativas if I were you. Generalising here but indicas are more stoney, sativas more high, and high is what tends to make your head race at the wrong times. The right sativas are more clear headed though and can be very mood elevating but are more responsive to your starting state of mind I think; stoned is safer ;)

Price is a poor indicator of strength/quality in many shops, but for basic purposes it'll do. Don't buy anything stupidly cheap like crappy imported Jamaican grass for €3/g as it'll do nothing, but you might want to be starting with one of the regular indicas/hybrids near the bottom (cheaper end) of most shop's menus. Often that might be something like White Widow, Blueberry, Bubblegum which you'd hope to see around €10/g

If in doubt tell the budtender you want something relaxing and mellow on the indica side and if he suggests something that's €16/g he/she's a chief, go somewhere else. You might also find hash a good option.

Then don't smoke too much. A bit here, a bit there, you can always smoke more but you have to wait for too much to wear off!

And most of all, just chill and enjoy yourself. Don't make it into a big thing, don't stress. Smoking is supposed to be fun and some strains can even be helpful for anxiety but only if you let them. Your mood and approach is the most important thing, you had a panic attack one time in that one circumstance, that can happen to anyone even without a substance altering your thought processes. It hasn't happened since despite you having an elevated stress level when you smoke, which when you think about it must say something.

Just let it go, allow yourself to enjoy yourself when you are smoking by not making smoking the be all. In this case you're on holiday in one of the best cities on earth where you can smoke when you want in a ton of cool places, or you can not and have fun anyway. Smoke when you're comfortable, have been looking after yourself, and are in a good mood. Less so when you aren't. :)
Last edited by Not_the_monk on Fri 8th Jul 2016 01:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
jokahsmokah90

Post by jokahsmokah90 »

Marduk wrote:1. Smoke less. Only take 1-2 hits from a joint and wait. By that, the high doesn't kick in that brutally and you can build it up softly and see where it leads. If you get uncomfortable, stop and try another strain or wait longer inbetween. (And yes, eating before is helpful)

2. Try good outdoor weed since that is a tad weaker. (Paradox or Yo-Yo usually have good quality)

3. Marroccan hash (i.e. Super Polm) tends to have a more relaxing effect.

4. CBD strains tend to cut of the unpleasent edges of THC and especially "energetic" THC-V.

5. Sativas tend to be more trippy, which often leads to paranoia/anxiety.
But not all Sativas do that and there are Indicas that are trippy as shit. (Generally speaking, Sativa vs Indica is not really a valid differentiation)
Also some shops have a vague description of the expected high. Look for "happy" strains, NOT i.e. "euphoric" or trippy/racey. "Euphoria" is one of those terms that's often a bit misleading when found in descriptions. And in addition, what feels euphoric/uplifting for some might be way too much for others who are too sensitive.
You also might wanna ask the budtender for advice. The people in good CSs like Utopia, Kadinsky or Club Media know their stuff most of the time.

6. You have to try foryourself, since every strain works different on everyone and in addition to that, every strain has a shitload of variations.

7. Some strains that can be found around Amsterdam that might help:
Leaning towards Sativa: Chocolope, Jack Herer, Kali Mist (can be too much for some, but usually has a warm, feel-good effect),
Towards Indica: Blue Dream, Blueberry, Bubblegum (depends), Greyberry (Blueberry+Bubblegum), Blue Cheese, Hindu Kush (from CS - "Club Media")
Wow, thanks for this great and detailed answer Marduk! The 1-2 hits are a good idea, I should rather enjoy joints more often than just smoking it fast in a puff puff pass way. :lol:
By point 5... Do you mean the description in coffee shops or on leafly.com? So when I understood it the right way... I am a sensitive person so I should take the happy strains? And what should I exactly ask the budtender?

An additional thanks for all the strains! :thumbup: Also heard about Northern Lights? What about that one?
I think I'll get me some sativa for daytime and indica for going to bed. So last but not least... What would be your most favorite recommendation (THE recommendation :D) for users like me who are not smoking too often?
Not_the_monk

Post by Not_the_monk »

Marduk wrote:A list that might help, although I wouldn't take it for granted.

i.e. Sour Diesel made me anxious like crazy and also AK-47 can do that, depending on the variation you might find.

That list seems a bit arbitrary. Several strains on there would be in my personal list to avoid for anxiety :lol:
erostarte

Post by erostarte »

Hi there everyone. This is the topic i am always sensitive about, cause i want the negative effects as minimal as possible while medicatin. From my observation, the more creative and energetic strains, like plenty of sativas,hazes whotsoever, the more anxiety and paranoia you got. The creativity enhancing hybrids also seem to cause anxiety and/or paranoia. This may be due to the neurone activity in the brain. More paths activated in that center of your brain, more thoughts come by, and everything possible seems possible so you may get anxious and paranoid. CBD can play an important role in reducing that. I suggest to pick your own strain, which seems to be more beneficial for you. www.leafly.com may be a good reference point for strains. But on top, your experience matters. Starting with microdosing and experiencing the effects slowly, also choosing hybrid strains that adress your needs is important i guess.
erostarte

Post by erostarte »

Doing my reasearch on leafly, from people's experience there, i found out:

Pineapple Haze (Daytime smoke)
OG Sour Diesel (midday smoke)
Big Buddha Cheese (Afternoon/night time smoke)
Sensi Star (Bed smoke)

Would work out best for me intermes of avoiding anxiety and paranoia.

I will be in Amsterdam on 11th July, will give this strategy a go. And for sure let you know.

Cheers 8)
Marduk

Post by Marduk »

Not_the_monk wrote:
Marduk wrote:A list that might help, although I wouldn't take it for granted.

That list seems a bit arbitrary. Several strains on there would be in my personal list to avoid for anxiety :lol:
Exactly. That's why I added "don't take that list for granted" and said that i.e. Sour Diesel makes me anxious as fuck. But it might help to get a better idea.
Marduk

Post by Marduk »

jokahsmokah90 wrote:
Wow, thanks for this great and detailed answer Marduk! The 1-2 hits are a good idea, I should rather enjoy joints more often than just smoking it fast in a puff puff pass way. :lol:
By point 5... Do you mean the description in coffee shops or on leafly.com? So when I understood it the right way... I am a sensitive person so I should take the happy strains? And what should I exactly ask the budtender?

An additional thanks for all the strains! :thumbup: Also heard about Northern Lights? What about that one?
I think I'll get me some sativa for daytime and indica for going to bed. So last but not least... What would be your most favorite recommendation (THE recommendation :D) for users like me who are not smoking too often?
Regarding point 5:
I mean the despriction in CSs mainly. Also Leafly just gives a BROAD overview.

Thing is, "euphoria" is hard to define, so people who report in at Leafly will mean different things when they click that categorie.
I'd go and ask budtender for "a happy, nice summer high" or "anti-anxiety, not trippy or with the risk of paranoia". If you manage to get a good budtender in one of the CSs I mentioned (Utopia, Club Media, Kadinsky, Paradox), they should know what you mean.
Simply talk to the people and you should get a feeling if they try to push some expensive stuff on you or some cheap shit like Thai or Jamaican. In that case, search another shop.

Don't have a lot of experience with Northern Lights. That's a strain that has hundreds of varieties and comes from dozens of seedbanks.
I experienced it as quite "thought provoking" so it might be a bit too much for you.

I'd go with Chocolope for a nice, mellow daytime smoke or everything that has "Blue" in it (Blueberry crosses) or Marroccan hashes like Super Pol, if you want to relax more, maybe in the evenings.
Also the Ourdoor stuff I mentioned should be ok for you.
Jesscass

Post by Jesscass »

Welcome to the forum, Jokahsmokah90, am mostly with Marduk again and also Not_the_monk, cheers guys.

One thing I have to point out though:
jokahsmokah90 wrote:In addition I was always a little "excited" and tense before smoking it because of waiting for the high but I don't have the same thing with alcohol. (Don't know why.)
One drug doesn't necessarily has to do with the other one, quite important!

Apart from that it seems you only had a bad setting and set which I'm sure happened to everyone to some point before; it's all part of learning process. I'm no psychiatrist though and if you're suffering from any mental issues you must not consume, seriously.
As said it doesn't look that way(my post here could be useful too just to be sure regarding this topic: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31947&p=394769#p394764 ).

Again beside what mentioned others wrote you should get yourself some low to mid grade quality import hashish at home and 'practise' a bit. Get yourself comfortable and consume at home. Next time then on other occassions like outdoor, in a park, together with friends and so on. Essential point is getting familiar with effects(beside a bit of tolerance) because when you're in the Dam it doesn't mean you're less paranoid. Most coffeeshops are not designed for a longer stay and to hang around for some reasons(major point is profit though)in my humble opinion and experience, especially in Adam. Loud music and hecticness! No problem for an experiencied consumer though by the way!
As said I'd go for import hashish as it tends to be way more one dimensional effectwise than even the most average indoor weed.
You can practise with indoor weed though as long as you take it easy as others said, too. No need to hurry.
This all helps you to stay calm on different occassions.

This is far more effective than trusting some random foreigners writting reviews about strains on a forum while this drug here is a natural product and that's why subject to variation when it comes to different strenghts on different harvests. At best a tendency! Remember there is no real customer protection at dutch coffeeshops as they are supplied by an unregulated black market. Even if they act like they know about cannbinoid percentages of their offered wares they mostly know shit about it even if they claim. Too long story though.
Means trust your own feelings. Nothing wrong with looking stuff up but you can overdo it and leaves you confused instead of clear which seems to be a disease of our time anyway(lots of control freaks out there lately, not only regarding drugs).

Enjoy your trip and maybe you write some reviews :) . Nuff said, am out here.
SimonKelly

Post by SimonKelly »

nice thread
thanks for good tips
Gill1987

Post by Gill1987 »

Ohh, I’m very familiar with your story because I went through all this. After the death of my best friend, I began to have hallucinations and great anxiety. I did not want to go to doctors or psychologists and I decided to change the climate and environment. I went to Holland and it was there that I learned about kratom. I had never used these substances before and it was very interesting for me to try. After I first tried kratom, I was shocked by the effect and decided to find this plant in the states. It turned out that it was sold completely legally and I began to use it regularly. I bought kratom from kratomrack.com and it helped me a lot to cope with all the crap in my life.