RIP Nol Van Schaik

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
bedge

RIP Nol Van Schaik

Post by bedge »

Am so sorry to hear about the death of Nol Van Schaik coffeeshop owner and author of the great read
The Dutch Experience,the inside story, 30 years of hash and grass coffeeshops.
recomended reading if you are interested in coffeeshop history.
this ia a translation from harlem paper harlem dag blad
Nol van Schaik died unexpectedly in Spain this weekend. Van Schaik achieved great fame as a champion of the legalization of soft drugs. Nol van Schaik was the driving force behind numerous initiatives to make hash and weed freely available. When the coffeeshop phenomenon barely existed, he already advertised substantial discounts for people who wanted to use the drugs medically. Anyone who showed a doctor's statement at his coffee shop received discounts. In Haarlem coffee shops, a shocked reaction was made on Sunday, some of his Haarlem colleagues said. "Nol was a characteristic man who, although he was quite robust, managed to get all Haarlem coffee shops to work together." Van Schaik, aged 65, was a member of the "Team Haarlem Coffee Shops" (THC) . That represents all Haarlem shops. He was extremely proud that all members received a hallmark from the municipality. This regulates the provision of drugs in detail. It assures them of smooth controls if they adhere to the rules.
a great man and cannabis pionear.
i was hoping he would write 50 years of coffeeshop history in 2022.
deepest condolences to his family and friends.
bedge

Lemming
Site Admin

Re: RIP Nol Van Schaik

Post by Lemming »

Woah! That's a shock.
Saw Nol briefly in April.
He was one of the biggest stars of the coffeeshop movement.
A huge loss.
No words.
AzLaker

Post by AzLaker »

Such a sad thing. Was a pioneer in the cannabis industry and will be sorely missed.
Had the privilege of meeting him, albeit shortly in Harleem a few years ago with the ACD gang. Very nice man.
Thoughts and prayers to Nol and his family.

AzLaker
:(
If you never do, you'll never know.
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Very sad indeed, not sure people (i.e. the average cannabis tourist) understand how much Nol and others from the local Dutch scene fought at times to maintain the tolerated status and Dutch coffeeshops, which have been under sustained pressure for years.
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Marok21

Post by Marok21 »

:shock: :shock: schock! :cry: I could not believe it when I read that at first :cry:

He was really one of the last "real good" coffeeshop owners with passion from the good old days... even though he had 3 coffeeshops he was still fighting for the scene which is pretty unique in our time... a huge loss! :cry: Unfortunately I never met him personally... all I can do is to thank him for his uninterrupted fight for the coffeeshops. While most other owners only counted their money he really made something for the scene. I can just pull my hat in front of his work!

Rest in peace :cry:
worldcitizen1723

Post by worldcitizen1723 »

RoMoney wrote: Mon 29th Jul 2019 01:45 pm Very sad indeed, not sure people (i.e. the average cannabis tourist) understand how much Nol and others from the local Dutch scene fought at times to maintain the tolerated status and Dutch coffeeshops, which have been under sustained pressure for years.
exactly ^^^^^ this
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Legend and true king of cannabis in my eyes, my inspiration to venture to Holland came only from this man, our first trip was planned solely on getting out to Haarlem to visit his shop. Sad end to my great Haarlem memories.

R.i.p Legend 💚
Lafe

Post by Lafe »

Wow, sad news indeed.

Thoughts for Nol and family.
"Laif" with a long "a".
Smirks

Post by Smirks »

Very sad news, as Lemming mentioned we briefly saw Nol in April, what a sad day for his family and for the whole cannabis fraternity. :(
nala2991

Post by nala2991 »

Sad to hear that he passed so early! Didn't know the guy, but admired all his work. The wietpas might very well have been implemented in haarlem in 2012 if not for this man's hard work. Definitely need more activists like him in the industry.

All though he died young, he lived a meaningful life. He fought for what he loved and believed in, something that can't be said about 90% of other people. It definitely seemed like he had fun along the way too, so well done living a great life.

Rest in peace
macky

Post by macky »

Tried find picture first time Harlem..no luck :D It,s in front of his shop across from train station.I stood under sign (I know I,m going to get corrected) but any way something to thee affect prevailer of Cannabis ? I do know it had a pot leaf ,only shop in Holland ..against law there to have leaf in CS window ..sign .Read about years before and had to get picture under it .....just need to find it In resent years he changed it . I believe the mayor was a great supporter of his for years (in his pocket).
The sign was his way of giving the Christian Right the finger :mrgreen:
la2019

Post by la2019 »

Such sad news. RIP to a real hero.