AMS Coffeeshops the early years

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
Sanchez_

AMS Coffeeshops the early years

Post by Sanchez_ »

I've come across some old film footage of Amsterdam recently from the 60's/70's and was amazed by the difference in the some of the city areas. I also did some stuff for Lemming regarding coffeeshop closure dates a few years back and fell down the rabbit hole of nostalgia which was some amazing and enlightening stuff!

Do any of our more experienced members have any old photos from the early coffeeshop years or even from the late 80's & early 90's etc? It would be amazing to see some old pictures of shops, streets and canals from days gone by :mrgreen:

FlyByNite

Re: AMS Coffeeshops the early years

Post by FlyByNite »

I have menus for several shops back to the guilder.

Enjoy
FlyByNite
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

FlyByNite wrote: Thu 17th Oct 2019 12:40 am I have menus for several shops back to the guilder.

Enjoy
FlyByNite
Now they were the days FlyByNite a lawless city with the Guilder, was good times back then. Remember being able to change just over a £100 on a Friday morning and getting nearly 350guilders back, straight on a plane and in Amsterdam by the afternoon, straight in to RastaBaby and book a apartment for 50guilder and that was the weekends back then for me, for a very good few years until the euro came in to effect.

I also have a photos going back to the mid 90's and beyond eventually will hunt them out and post some up on here, if I can remember how to post pics up :D. This might bring back some great memories for a lot of people. :mrgreen:
Chase the Green to live the Dream :mrgreen: 8) :D
Sanchez_

Post by Sanchez_ »

I'm kind of hoping some members will have some gems in their archives: @Comus (Saw in a thread you were digitising some negatives?) @Lemming ?

Came across some nice footage on YouTube of ol' Mokum. Check this link out (and watch the additional 4 episodes videos that follow it for some nice footage from first person cycling view) excuse the makers subject wandering a couple of episodes in :shock:

https://youtu.be/mHUoqM3iyag
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Yeah! I'd love to see more old pics and films. I've got a very few pics from the late 80s and 90s. Some are already on the site, for instance this pic of the original Barney's Breakfast Bar in the 90's is on the extra pictures page. I hope to do more of these when I get time.

Barney's pictures page

I love this one inside Ballonnetje when it had the terrarium in the window.

Sanchez_

Post by Sanchez_ »

Excellent Lemming! Wow that Barney's pic sure is vintage stuff. I remember you uploading the balloon pic before and I wish they still had that terrarium!

Hopefully some others will get some classics uploaded, sadly my first visits were in the later 2000's so not a lot of good pics although some now closed shops I'm sure... I'll check my archive :mrgreen:
kingbee

Post by kingbee »

Last edited by kingbee on Fri 3rd Jan 2020 07:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squidgyblack

Post by squidgyblack »

I remember going to holland to a place called T'Zand on a football tour in 1990 or 1991 I think, so I would have been 14 or 15. We went 2 years in a row before a danish club burnt down the stadium at the ground. We met some locals, this really nice tall blonde dutch gal said they were off to the coffeeshop on their scooter and they would get me some hash, I remember I paid 10 guilders which were about £3 for 2 or 3 grams I think of Black Maroc. We were staying in a school sports hall, we waited for the adults to go to sleep and went outside and skinned up, really giggly gear, the hall had one of those glitter balls, funny as fuck!
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

Barneys 1995 - I wonder whatever happened to those table tops.

Enjoy
FlyByNite
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Nice picture @ FBN, Barney's had those table tops when we started going to the city, was one of the shops that stood out... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Lovely pics of Barneys!
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
kingbee

Post by kingbee »

Last edited by kingbee on Fri 3rd Jan 2020 09:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

Picture sent to me.

Homegrown Fantasy 2001.

Enjoy
FlyByNite
Sanchez_

Post by Sanchez_ »

Here's a couple of shots from inside The Freeworld coffeeshop (RIP) circa 2008+

And Hill Street when they had low level tables and chairs opposite the bar

Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Nice pics everyone. Love this stuff.
FlyByNite wrote: Thu 24th Oct 2019 10:03 pm Barneys 1995
I think that pic of Barney's was sometime between 1999 and 2009 rather than 1995. That was the mark 2 version of Barney's. In terms of décor at least, my favourite era of Barney's.

See here: Barney's Through Time

If you're sure that pic was 1995 please let me know 'cos then I need to make some corrections.
squidgyblack wrote: Thu 24th Oct 2019 07:34 pm I remember going to holland to a place called T'Zand
Sounds intriguing. Could that have been what is now Bronx? I think that had a name like that back then.