Independents, small chains, empires

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
la2019

Independents, small chains, empires

Post by la2019 »

The business side of the shops is something that fascinates me a bit. In many ways, it seems like such a unique situation (tolerated vs legal, the shady resupply process due to limitations on stock on hand, limited licenses etc) that many of the standard business truths don't apply, while others are the same as ever. And then the more I think about it, the more I realize I just don't know. One aspect I always wonder about is the amount of independent shops, which are co-owned by single, and which are part of a larger chain. So I thought I'd compile a list based primarily on things I'd heard here over the years. I expect a lot of this to incorrect or out of date, but mostly incomplete, so please add to it or show me the error of my ways!

"Expanding Empires"
The Greenhouse/Strain Hunters - A friend of mine did some digging and supposedly they even have an actual corporate office space:
  • Greenhouse Centrum
    Greenhouse on Harlemmerstraat
    Greenhouse Tolstraat/de Pijp
    Greenhouse Namaste
    and now Strain Hunters (formerly 420 off the Spui)
DNA Genetics/Boerejongens:
  • Boerejongens on Utrechtstraat (formerly Styx)
    The one way our near Kashmir
    Coffeeshop Amsterdam (Formerly Dampkring Modern)
    Coffeeshop Amsterdam Cafe (smoker-friendly, was a Rokerij once upon a time)
    DNA genetics menu is also at other places, but Tweede Kamer is the only one that leaps to mind right now)
Hunter's:
  • Original Hunter's
    Hunter's Rembrandtplein (formerly Sevilla)
    Hunter's Haarlem
    Hunter's Zandvoort (formerly La Paz)
The Coffeeshops:
  • Siberie
    Loft
    De Supermarkt
    De Republiek
    Espresso (just saw this one when I visited their site, so no idea what it's about)
Barney's (Haven't expanded in a while as far as I know):
  • Barney's (original)
    Barney's Farm (On a side note, their tag line should be "Seeds, Swag, and Swill")
    Barney's Uptown
    Barney's Lounge
    Amnesia
Smaller groups:
Dampkring (Used to be growing but now seem to be shrinking):
  • Original Dampkring
    Tweede Kamer (???-I thought they used to be owned by Dampkring but now I'm not so sure)
Kadinsky:
  • Kadinsky Langebrusteeg
    Kadinsky Zoutsteeg
    Kadinsky Rosmarijnsteeg
    Kadinsky Cafe
And that's what I got. I left out Bulldog, because who care. But I'm sure I'm missing a ton, particularly places that have just 2 or 3 shops. Anything I'm missing? Thanks for indulging me!

Lemming
Site Admin

Re: Independents, small chains, empires

Post by Lemming »

This is what I've got: Chains index.

Sounds like I might need to do some updates on Greenhouse.
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

A great subject and very relevant, i always think everything is moving to chains not just coffeeshops but theres also a market for small indepdent places!

I noticed the chains index recently its great as names can be different like with Amsterdam Genstics. Would it be hard to include where they have Spanish places.....like Plug, Strainhunter and Relax?
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

I don’t have much to add to this thread, but on my early trips to Amsterdam when the Coffeeshops could advertise I did notice a lot of high cost highly visible adds around the central station and thought there’s money in owning a Coffeeshop :D and then I went and gave them some of mine :mrgreen:
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
WLow

Post by WLow »

Dna Genetics is not part of the Boere crew.

The Boere jongens (not so young anymore :mrgreen: ) continue to confuse matters, they crossed some strains with dna cuts and named a shop DNA.
The us company only has a seed shop in amsterdam Sint Nicolaasstraat 41, 1012 NJ Amsterdam

to add for the boere crew.
coffeshop Dna; Regine; Blue Tomato;all the Relax; The Corner; Tweede Kammer; Johnny, top off my head must be missing some.
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

WLow wrote: Sun 20th Sep 2020 09:38 pm Dna Genetics is not part of the Boere crew.

The Boere jongens (not so young anymore :mrgreen: ) continue to confuse matters, they crossed some strains with dna cuts and named a shop DNA.
The us company only has a seed shop in amsterdam Sint Nicolaasstraat 41, 1012 NJ Amsterdam

to add for the boere crew.
coffeshop Dna; Regine; Blue Tomato;all the Relax; The Corner; Tweede Kammer; Johnny, top off my head must be missing some.
+ Coffeeshop Bij and Boerejogens west (if that hasn't been mentioned)...
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

Not DNA genetics, Amsterdam Genetics is the Boerejongens overseer.

Enjoy
FlyByNite
la2019

Post by la2019 »

This is what I've got: Chains index.

Sounds like I might need to do some updates on Greenhouse.
Thanks Lem--that's really great. I should have known someone would have already pulled this together!
Not DNA genetics, Amsterdam Genetics is the Boerejongens overseer.
Ah, right--my mistake. Definitely meant Amsterdam Genetics and I was so confused there for minute. In any case, I had no idea they had all those other shops as well! So, really, they seem to be the biggest player in terms of locations and product. I do like products and the cool branding, I guess I just wish I wouldn't see so much of it. But to be honest, I've always enjoyed their offerings.
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

But do Amsterdam genetics own the shops or do people just sell their wares?

Some shops for example only sell their weed and hash (CS DNA) and other just their edibles (Het B)
la2019

Post by la2019 »

I'm wondering that myself actually. Tweede Kamer still sells their own as well.
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

la2019 wrote: Tue 22nd Sep 2020 01:44 pm
Website only list 4, the others must just sell their wares

RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Actually Amsterdam Genetics have a list of distributors

https://www.amsterdamgenetics.com/distributors/

But Het B for example isnt there and sells their edibles, perhaps you need to have more of the product range to make the distributor list.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Loving this thread! Thanks @la2019 for starting it and all contributors.

Just to reiterate, this is my list of all chains of 3 or more shops, past and present. Click on any link to see which shops I think are members of each chain:

Abraxas
Amsterdam Genetics
Baba
Barney's
The Bulldog
Bushdocter
thecoffeeshops.com
Conscious Dreams
Elements of Nature
Fancy Free
The Grass Company
Greenhouse
Greenhouse Effect
Hunter's
InterPolm
Kadinsky
Maximillian
Real Thing
Rokerij
Royal Queen Seeds
Sensi Seeds
Sirius Smart Gallery
De Sjamaan
Stones
Willie Wortel
Wonder Bar

Any new info or corrections always appreciated.

I gather from posts above that I need to change the ex-Dutch Flowers 420 Coffeeshop to Strain Hunters and add it to the Greenhouse chain.

Regarding Amsterdam Genetics/Boerejongens, I assume that some of the shops are wholly owned and others are some kind of franchise arrangement.
I'm intrigued to see The Corner (formerly Wauw/Wow Shop) and Taffne Beverwijk included in that latest list. Looks like I need to update that too.
I'm not sure what to make of Boerejongens Sloterdijk described as "Betty Boop Powered by Boerejongens".

@ RoMoney - expanding the lists to include Spain would be cool. Do you have any more info for me on that?
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Lemming wrote: Thu 24th Sep 2020 03:07 pm @ RoMoney - expanding the lists to include Spain would be cool. Do you have any more info for me on that?
Looking at your list the below also have Spanish locations

Bulldog (Barcelona and Ibiza clubs)
Royal Queen Seeds (3 stores in Barcelona and 1 in Malaga)
Greenhouse Empire (Strainhunters club in Barcelona)

Not on your list
The Plug, which has two locations in Amsterdam also has clubs in Barcelona and Tenerife

Another one to note....Relax coffeeshop which is listed as an Amsterdam Genetics distributor also has a club in Barcelona under name Relax, presumably though they dont sell Amsterdam Genetics stuff in the Barcelona club.

Also are Phenofinders and Baba now part of the same setup? Or do Baba just sell their stuff? Phenofinders also have a club in Tenerife.
Marok21

Post by Marok21 »

I think there is also another chain... Coffeeshop Prix D´Ami, Noon, Mellow Yellow (RIP), Coffeeshop Balou and Coffeeshop El Guapo are connected or have the same owner. While El Guapo has also some own stuff on their menu...

Coffeeshop Betty Boop and Coffeeshop Easytimes have nearly the same menu and seems to work together, too.
la2019 wrote: Tue 22nd Sep 2020 01:44 pm
Not so easy to answer that question :lol:
Like wrote before Boere West, Bij, Boere Center and Boere Sloterdijk should be owned by Amsterdam Genetics.
I think many of the coffeeshops they supply with goods are working close together with them or maybe are "partners" while others
like Het B or T´Kunsje in Nijmegen only got a few products from them like edibles...

Amsterdam Coffeeshop and Tweede Kamer are also connected to AG but it seems they are a little bit more independet... Nugs and I were on a hash block testing session some years ago at Boerejongens Center and there was also one of the old owners from Tweede Kamer and Dampkring... it seemed they are very good connected :D
On the other hand maybe Amsterdam Genetics is only a tool to make more legal marketing. Boerejongens for example are not really allowed to advertise the products on web for example... AG is a "different" company and not a coffeeshop so they have more opportunities.
But what's really going on is hard to say :lol: