International research shows: No genetic distinction between ‘Sativa’ and ‘Indica’ cannabis

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
OneHighMofo

International research shows: No genetic distinction between ‘Sativa’ and ‘Indica’ cannabis

Post by OneHighMofo »

I wonder how long the clubs, coffeeshops, dispensaries and seed stores can keep up the clown parade charade....
The terms Indica and Sativa are often used to categorise cannabis. These different strains are generally believed to be associated with certain psychoactive effects. Often the effect of a Sativa strain is described as mentally stimulating and energising, while that of an Indica strain is described as relaxing and soothing. In addition, it is often suggested that the labels say something about the genetic background.

However, the research shows that plants with the Sativa label are no more genetically similar than plants with an Indica label. Also, chemically there is mainly overlap between these two labels.

“Growers worldwide label their cannabis strains quite subjectively with the terms ‘Indica’ and ‘Sativa’. There’s nothing scientific about that. Unfortunately, retailers and consumers cannot rely on the labels that are stuck to the jars,” says Dr Sean Myles, Associate Professor at Dalhousie University‘s Faculty of Agriculture and lead author of the study.

“There is now a broad scientific consensus that the current use of the Indica and Sativa labelling is misleading: these labels do not provide reliable information about the genetic or chemical makeup of the plant,”
https://bedrocan.com/international-rese ... EbM63htd1s

free_phil_spector

Re: International research shows: No genetic distinction between ‘Sativa’ and ‘Indica’ cannabis

Post by free_phil_spector »

Good article. Bottom line, there's really no guarantee to know exactly what effects a strain of weed will have other than to smoke it and find out :D
It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate - it takes guts to be gentle and kind...
OneHighMofo

Re: International research shows: No genetic distinction between ‘Sativa’ and ‘Indica’ cannabis

Post by OneHighMofo »

free_phil_spector wrote: Tue 19th Oct 2021 03:58 am Good article. Bottom line, there's really no guarantee to know exactly what effects a strain of weed will have other than to smoke it and find out :D
Bingo.
Although from my personal perspective. Strains all have exactly the same effect. The only time I notice any difference in supposed sedative vs excitatory effects are in fresh (less sedative) vs well cured flowers. I also feel a slight distinction between effects from hydro-carbon extractions (BHO) Vs solventless full melts (rosin or bubble hash).

But my opinion based on 25 years of consumption of literally hundreds if not thousands of strains and cultivation of perhaps 20-30 is that my state of mind at the point of consumption is always more likely to have a deeper modulating effect on my experience of any given strain.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Spot on!

I've never claimed to be a connoisseur, despite over 40 years of experience. My history goes back to imported hash claiming to be Moroccan, Red Leb, Squidgy Black, etc. (some possibly imported by Howard Marks), through cheap leafy Welsh Homegrown, terrible Soapbar and generic Skunk. Sure, I've also had nice hobbyist's crops and have been visiting the Netherlands for over 30 years but I've never really felt qualified to compare the effects of different strains.

I've been knocked almost unconscious by black hash that probably had raw opium mixed into it, had my head blown off by Durban Poison fresh from Africa and been rendered instantly speechless by dabbing rosin so chemical composition must make some difference.

The most consistent difference I have noticed is between old hash and fresh buds. This has led me to believe that the spectrum between buzzy high and couch-lock is more about the age of the material rather than the source.

So, I agree. The age of the cannabis and the state of mind of the consumer are probably more significant than anything else.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Lemming wrote: Tue 19th Oct 2021 04:05 pm So, I agree. The age of the cannabis and the state of mind of the consumer are probably more significant than anything else.
Interestingly I've been having a conversation with someone on Instagram that believes the cited study to be nonsense in the sense that there is no such 'scientific consensus'. And it must be said - he's potentially correct.

He also seems exceptionally well informed on the pharmacology of Cannabis and is confident in his assertion (backed up with peer reviewed study) that there are indeed differences in the morphology of land-race genetics with regard to the inhibitory/excitatory effects of cannabis. Essentially - in the putative ancestors of what we commonly call Sativa and Indica.

I have no direct evidence to the contrary of course, I'm neither well educated enough, nor clever enough to interpret scientific study for myself. This issue seems to be in constant debate and the 'facts' in-flux. But I agree wholeheartedly. The physiological and psychological makeup of the individual consumer is much more likely (especially given the hybridised, inbred nature of the product available to the marketplace) to have a modulatory effect than any subtle difference in either cannabinoid or terpene profile present in any given sample.

And so the debate goes on :)
free_phil_spector

Post by free_phil_spector »

Lemming wrote: Tue 19th Oct 2021 04:05 pmRed Leb
An aside: About five years ags in Kashmir (the CS, not the place) I decided to buy some of their Red Leb for nostalgia's sake. The taste certainly took me back to being 15. Unfortunately the effects (or lack of them) served only to make me realise what a lightweight I must have been back then. It was rubbish.
It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate - it takes guts to be gentle and kind...