WHATS IN YOUR GARDEN????

About ourselves.

Moderators: tuttiflutes, chillers2, Balou

Re: WHATS IN YOUR GARDEN????

Post by 25211 »

winnie wrote:it all looks great... the lawn looks like a carpet
Cheers, the camera flatters it a lot, but it has looked good this year
StonedSince'67 wrote:that corner is still my favourite bit, good to see the nasturtiums expanding and taking over
The Nasturtiums in that corner will be there for a while yet (and are doing rather well), either until the first hard frost turns them to green mush
If I do rip them out it will be as we are getting nearer to hard frosts

StonedSince'67 wrote:quite right, summer is over, it is now autumn, my how time flies

it sounds good to have a week off to devote to the garden and get ready for winter ... that is my goal in the next month or so too, be ready for winter
Well I had a couple of the sort of job that can make my sciatica, shall we say interesting that I wanted to get out of the way, but depending on the weather & some one dumping a laptop for looking at don’t help
Cisco wrote:Well I am pleased to announce that I should be contributing to this thread soon , but in my case what's in your allotment :wink:

Just taken possession of a plot at new allotments in my area so I'm chuffed to bits , been wanting to get some organic crops on the go for a while

So what are my options now , winter veg ?

Going over on Sunday to turn it over so shall get some pics up to show my plot
Nice one, as StonedSince'67 said it all depends on what the soil is like so once you have given it a bit of a dig you will start to get the feel of what you have got
luvtick wrote:Just yesterday she fluttered by...this butterfly...caught her with her wings forward! Cool!
Awesome! Bloody Awesome!

So Anyway the update on what I have got done this week
The top of my to do list was to sort out the border to the right of the lawn
The soil there has always been heavy clay & bright orange at times, so last year I dug in a load of compost & sharp sand and filled it with annuals
In spring this year I dug it over several times adding the last of the sharp sand, then raked & raked it
Then I started removing the big lumps of the really heavy stuff (and dumping them by the tree stump in next doors bit, that’s where the nasturtiums came from)
So again it was filled with annuals for the summer, I had got all the tall stuff out the other week so it was just a case of pulling out the few nasturtiums and give it a dig over
And it looks like the work last year & in the spring has paid off & it looked like half decent soil
I then added a good bit of compost from the heap in next doors bit along with a smattering of chicken manure pellets, leave it for a couple of days while I confirm that I have a free source of stones to cover some of the weed sheet
I have just put a strip of the sheet about half the boarder’s width up there with stones next to the lawn and soil holding the other edge down
So it was time to plant it, I put one lavender in at the end nearest the house in spring, which has struggled a bit but it was swamped a bit with the poppies and cornflowers
Using the stuff I have had going in pots for most of the summer I have gone for Lavender & Pinks
Then I had a flash of inspiration and got some tulip & crocus bulbs, and put a tulip in each gap between the plants and two crocus bulbs just in front of them

It may be fun trying to keep the border under control next year as the poppies & cornflowers are trying to go for it already

The next job on the list was sorting out where the sweet peas were & lettuces had been, and I didn’t really have a plan for that bit
Anyway the sweet peas were duly ripped down & the tattered weed sheet ripped up
The last of my compost from next doors heap & the last of the chicken manure pellets were dug in
A plan was starting to form…. As I had the plan for the border I would have some lavender & pinks left over, and I also had some oregano ready to go in the ground as well as some thyme that is probably far to small to stand the winter but might as well go in & some garlic that I got growing far to early in the year
The oregano & thyme have been planted more or less where I see them living permanently, the garlic where I would like it to grow
And then just put the lavender & pinks in to give them a chance of lasting the winter and being ready to move in spring

The only job left on the to do list was then making a start on hacking stuff back the geranium have been cut right back, some of the campanula has had nearly the same and the aubrietia given a bit of a trim in places
It will let some more light and air in around everything and has already got me thinking about moving/getting rid of some of the stuff in there
The top of the would be great if I can get it done list was to try to give the lawn a tidy up, cut & feed before I start to raise the blade height
Now due to the damp nature of the beginning of the week this didn’t work out that well
On Monday after doing my normal pension run for my mum then going up to their house to do what I can in the garden for them, I decided I would give mine a quick cut, mistake it was wetter than I thought and looked bloody awful after
So I left it for a few days and as it started to dry again I got the stiff yard brush out and swept it, then gave it another cut and it looked better
Now yesterday morning for some reason it seemed like a good idea to have a go at spiking /aerating it, well the surface was still moist so the fork would go in easy, which it did
So at last I have finally got it done (should have done it 2 years ago, in spring last year, this time last year & in spring this year)
After that I gave it what will probably be the last feed of the year
And I am now aching in places I had forgotten I had

But it looks ok from a distance

TTFN

Radox Is a cruel mistress
StonedSince67

Post by StonedSince67 »

25211 wrote:And I am now aching in places I had forgotten I had
gardening is a great form of exercise with all the bending and pulling and stretching ... my current end-of-the-day garden task is to dehead the pot marigolds to see how long i can keep them going, that is a good short session of bending and stretching

i think this photo displays well your skills as a plantsman ...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Post by 25211 »

StonedSince'67 wrote:
25211 wrote:And I am now aching in places I had forgotten I had
gardening is a great form of exercise with all the bending and pulling and stretching ... my current end-of-the-day garden task is to dehead the pot marigolds to see how long i can keep them going, that is a good short session of bending and stretching
I have found that gardening seems to help my sciatica
It keeps me moving & gives me something to look at when the weather keeps me in the house but I cant face sitting down :D
StonedSince'67 wrote: i think this photo displays well your skills as a plantsman ...
:oops: :oops: Thanks for that but I really cant take the credit for that bit Mother Nature is in control there
I have just given her a hand with a bit of water & clearing once or twice
I honestly think all I have put in that bit this year is a bit of night scented stock seed that didn't do that well
& 1 perennial poppy I grew from seed that I didn't have anywhere for at the time
The foxgloves, nasturtiums & California poppies there are doing their own thing from last year
StonedSince67

Post by StonedSince67 »

25211 wrote:... but I really cant take the credit for that bit Mother Nature is in control there, I have just given her a hand
well let's just say that you and mother nature as a team are doing a great job in transforming a small patch of the earth into a lovely little garden

Post by 25211 »

Well autumn has been a tad damp her so far & a combination of laziness, bad weather, and other peoples computer problems
Have meant I haven’t got much more done in the garden, or even got round to posting any photos
So here are a few from 30/10/2011

The nasturtiums in next doors bit were doing rather well at that point

But we had a very light frost just over a week ago while they were still wet so most of them didn’t survive & I have pulled some up
& if it’s dry enough & I feel like it the rest will probably get ripped up this weekend

The herb patch/nursery plot seems to be doing ok

Even the snowdrops are starting to show signs of life

The pinks and lavender I planted at the end of September seem to be doing ok so with luck that boarder will be fragrant & colourful next year

That’s about it for now, might get some more taken if I get the rest of the nasturtiums ripped up

Post by 25211 »

Thought I would do an early 2012 update
Since the last photos not a lot has got done I did get to give the grass a cut (on a high setting) at the end of November
And generally had a tidy up cutting stuff back as & when I get chance
The bench has been taken apart for sanding & staining so is in the garage at my mum & dads at the mo

the first snowdrops should be open soon by the look of it

Some plants don't seem sure it is winter
the lupins

the montbretia

even one of the pinks I grew from a cutting last year & planted out in September is trying to flower!

There are some bulbs I rescued from a trough in here I know there are some dark purple tulips but not sure what more
& a California poppy that is going for it

and there are poppies trying to germinate all over the place

As with last year the aim with next doors bit is to get it to look something like with as little effort as poss
And maybe stick any plants I remove from mine in there if I cant give them away at the time

The wildlife seen so far in 2012 is
Squirrel seen on new years day (grey unfortunately not really a fan of them, but still nice to see)
sparrows
starlings
robins
Blue tits
Blackbirds (doing a good job of striping the bush of its berries)
And maybe not to everyone's liking, but to me the best so far
Was the female Sparrowhawk having a meal of fresh starling on the path in the back bit yesterday lunch time

I don't think that's a bad count to say how urban it is here

TTFN
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Ah, hello mr Greenfingers, nice to see you back in the garden again :D.

I agree about Radox. Have you tried Sanex, I know it sounds like a toilet cleaner but it's very nice for a healthy epidermis. :D :D.
What a long strange trip it is.

Post by 25211 »

spidergawd wrote:Ah, hello mr Greenfingers, nice to see you back in the garden again :D.
I do tend to struggle to get time in the garden at this time of year
As It is dark when I go out to work & dark when I get home, so am having to grab what chances I can at weekend
And so far this winter I have found myself doing more & more dutiful son duties for the old’s like picking the pensions up for them
Or even if its is going up there to sand/paint my bench, that way I am there if they want or need anything but it doesn’t look like I am mithering over them
(wont be much wood left if i keep going at it)
spidergawd wrote:I agree about Radox. Have you tried Sanex, I know it sounds like a toilet cleaner but it's very nice for a healthy epidermis. :D :D.
Radox works a treat on the useless muscles in my back most of the time
But will bear the Sanex in mind the next time the TENS machine gives me ragging dermatitis on the small of my back
Anyway best get back to work
TTFN

Post by 25211 »

Not a lot to report on the garden front
But I have borrowed a tripod so had to have a play
This is last night as it was snowing

these are a couple of screen grabs from the video below

http://youtu.be/mkbJltcO6vI

that was about 08:00 this morning (taken trough the window)
the blackbirds have done a good job eating the berries on the bush, but as its getting to the lower ones They have started jumping for them
Keeps me entertained for hours on end :-)
TTFN
burn001down

Post by burn001down »

This is my first attempt at growing vegetables - sorry no pics yet. I'll try and post some soon.

-Mescule (Lettuce)
-French Red Leaf (Lettuce)
-Sugar Snap Peas
-Green Onions

Very small plot: 2.5ft wide by 13.5ft long

So far, the mescule and the peas are growing very fast. Onions and other lettuce mature at a later date. If i find i'm successful this run, maybe i'll try peppers, carrots, and cukes during the summer months.
winnie

Post by winnie »

this thread makes me wish i had a garden. It's almost time to get started again... looking forward to all the updates
burn001down

Post by burn001down »

-Sugar Snap Peas on the left (fast grower)
-Mescule (spring mix) in the back (fast grower)
-Green Onions in the middle (slow grower)
-Red Leaf Lettuce in the front (slow grower)

close-up of the mescule - will start picking some this week if the frost hasn't killed it

Blaze - the garden guard

Post by 25211 »

winnie wrote:this thread makes me wish i had a garden. It's almost time to get started again... looking forward to all the updates
Winnie, I really let mine go for the best part of 10 years after doing my back in as the phsioterrorist told me that gardening wasn’t going to do me any good
It was almost soul destroying to see the mess it had become
But I will say they were wrong, the gardening has if anything helped my back (especially since I kicked the industrial strength pain killers in to touch)

Burn001down, that looks to be doing great already, bet you can’t wait to start munching on your home grown crops
The way I have done mine I haven’t got that much room for edible stuff but I am thinking of a couple of pea plants this year at least
Must get my bench finished and back out so I can do the compulsory sitting out there giving it all several good coats of looking at before I make a start this year
another week or 2 and most of the back bit will get some sun on it in the day
And last but not least another video of the birds (ok not in the garden)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtp_y8-DdKM
Most impressed with the cheap stick to your window bird feeder
(But I am easily amused)
TTFN

Post by 25211 »

Well the Bench is back after a serious sanding & staining
And to say I did it I think it doesn't look too bad at all
(I am Totally Without Any Talent as far as paint brushes go)

So inevitably now being able to sit out there again I am starting to see the jobs to do this year, And made a bit of a start yesterday
First job was to sort out the bricks holding the weed sheet down on the bit near the old toilet block, they got a bit battered when one of the fence panels fell down from the house behind
And open up some of the holes in the weed sheet around the plants

One thing of course led to another so I lifted the clump of little pink geranium that was in that bit, gives me a gap to fill if the campanula doesn't fill it first

I then chopped the clump in to 4 with the spade and slapped them in to next doors bit
One clump at the yard end of the flags

and the other 3 in the bit next to mine

And here are the snowdrops

and an overall view after just adding a few more washing lines to hang bird feeders from

More updates to come soon as now if it's dry enough I will be sat out there giving it a good coat of looking at before my traditional week off work for the equinox next month
TTFN

Post by 25211 »

I have the first crocus showing colour :D :D

In the past I haven't had much success with bulbs in the past
And I thought the soil in that border would probably still be too heavy and clay ridden
So I am happy to be proved wrong
With a bit of luck they should be better next year, it was only September when I put them in
And it looks like the tulips that I put in that bit are starting to come up as well
TTFN