Should I learn basic Dutch?

Dutch language.
roker

Post by roker »

Bakje koffie - cup of coffee

een a-a-tje - Energy drink AA pronounced (this will be difficult)...think back when you learned the alphabet..an A said A, not ay..dus A A tje

Looza - pronounced lowza not loser :wink:

mag ik de volcano gebruiken? - may I use the volcano?

Ik ben helemaal wappie geworden - I'm off my face :lol:

Here's the Dutch alphabet that I posted on channels a while back...should help some...

Here is a run down of how you pronounce the Dutch alphabet:

a (Not ay but a said quickly)
bay
say
day
ay
ef
gghay (with the throat sound)
ha
ee
yay
ka (Like the ford Ka, not k-ay, but ka)
ell
em
en
o
pay
coo
er
es
tay
oo
fay
vay
ex
I
zed

articulomortis

Post by articulomortis »

Cheers! That alphabet is pretty handy! I think i'll learn a few phrases, but i'll have a translator with me anyways!
If you aint choking, you aint smoking.
truckerclart

Post by truckerclart »

in all the times ive been over,dam,utrecht,drachten and the islands ive found that when i get back to the uk it all fades away,so for the flight over i got myself inflight dutch for the iphone,obviously im not going to remember it all but i would be happier to use manners when in someones elses country,tot ziens...
here i am ,a friendly trucker just passing thru
wietroker

Post by wietroker »

hehe that "looza" pronunciation is good advice. It took my years until I said it right and it saved a lot of confusion too! More toking time :D
roker

Post by roker »

You probably know, but you always put the noun afterwards, so 'een looza aardbei alsjeblieft'
bleak

Post by bleak »

Its worth learning a few words I think. Just the standard hello, goodbye, thankyou etc go a long way. Even if its just 1 or 2 words in Dutch, the locals do appreciate it. Often I get a big smile from them when I do.

If anything, just remember 'dank ye val' (thank you very much)

Its not totally necessary, but just a way to be friendly and show you're not just another mindless tourist.

Its true what others have said, that unless you speak perfect Dutch, the locals prefer to speak English to you. Its easier for them to speak English than to understand broken Dutch. So don't feel pressured to learn entire sentences and stuff, just start with a few token words.
roker

Post by roker »

bleak wrote:
If anything, just remember 'dank ye val' (thank you very much)
Would that be 'dank je wel'?

anyway...

It isn't just the spoken word. Here's an example:

Would you be able to understand what this offer is without learning some words? if not, you'd miss out on a brilliant offer and a brilliant day out...The whole day in first class anywhere in Holland for two people during the Autumn (Herfst), for €35...
Boner

Post by Boner »

I can read more than I can speak but I always just put anything in dutch through a translation site like Google.
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
bleak

Post by bleak »

roker wrote: Would that be 'dank je wel'?
Yes, thats the one. Thanks for the correction (no sarcasm)

Although I was just writing it as its pronounced.
roker

Post by roker »

I thought you were thanking Valerie... :lol:
Cisco

Post by Cisco »

Rufus wrote:
cisco wrote:
Rufus wrote:well I always think it is polite to learn a few basic phrases when going to a different country, perhaps I'm weird in that regard though :?
Yeah im with you on that one ! you being weird i mean :shock: :lol: :D
Ah Cisco, excuse me, you wanna say that to my face?? :wink: :lol: In fact nah, join the queue lots of people think it :shock: :lol:
Not after hearing Sir Nials tails of 2foot woman windmilling into a crowd o blokes :shock: :lol: i shall fill yer bong for ya at 420 as an apology :wink: (or just to find out how weird you actually are !?) MWAH HA HA
-
Marco

Post by Marco »

I have to admit I am having a bit of a war with the Dutch language and its definitely winning. The fact that everyone speaks English and that so much TV is in English is quite a big obstacle. I learned German in Austria in the 80s and it was easier to immerse myself in the language (I was a kid). And now if I try to speak it comes out with a German accent, which is not cool with the Dutch.

Technology gives us the ability to instantly read the paper back home and watch our favorite shows in English. But on some level, it is easier to learn a language if all those distractions of English are gone.

Roker, how did you learn? Classes, work, women?
roker

Post by roker »

Marco wrote:
Roker, how did you learn? Classes, work, women?
Well, ultimately it was for a women...I never had classes or anything. I read a lot of books, newspapers etc and simply used a dictionary on my pc to translate (Van Dale, highly recommended)...bit by bit, and after say six months of really trying to learn the light at the end of the tunnel wasn't far away. Also, my work colleagues would speak Dutch to me, I spoke it in the bars and that, and all of a sudden I no longer need to speak English whilst in Holland...

This lady was a huge motivator for me... :lol:
roker

Post by roker »

edit
Last edited by roker on Wed 10th Nov 2010 05:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

cisco wrote:
Rufus wrote:
cisco wrote: Yeah im with you on that one ! you being weird i mean :shock: :lol: :D
Ah Cisco, excuse me, you wanna say that to my face?? :wink: :lol: In fact nah, join the queue lots of people think it :shock: :lol:
Not after hearing Sir Nials tails of 2foot woman windmilling into a crowd o blokes :shock: :lol: i shall fill yer bong for ya at 420 as an apology :wink: (or just to find out how weird you actually are !?) MWAH HA HA
:lol: :lol: :lol: look forward to it :wink:
vandaag is het begin van de rest van je leven