Difference Between Oud & Oude???

Dutch language.
Arsonist

Difference Between Oud & Oude???

Post by Arsonist »

Oud-Zuid & Oude Zijde.
Two different locations with similar spelling.
Translation with pronunciation would be greatly appreciated! :)
Last edited by Arsonist on Fri 18th Feb 2011 07:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pala

Re: Difference Between Oud & Oude???

Post by Pala »

I'm no expert, but the difference between Oud and Oude has to do with where in the sentence it lies.

Oud means old. Oude zijds means "old side".

In Dutch, if the adjective comes in front of the noun your ad an "e" on the end.
Otherwise it's just Oud: "Het is odu." -->> "It is old."

My understanding is that both names you quote are the same area. "The Old Side". Over at HGF it's de nieuwezijds, "the new side" of the dam. Are you maybe mixing in "Oud-Zuid" the "old south"? I don't know why it's spelled that way with the hyphen and no "e".

Again I'm no expert. That's how I figure it based on my language studies so far.

Cheers,
chuck
Arsonist

Post by Arsonist »

Pala wrote:My understanding is that both names you quote are the same area.
I don't know why it's spelled that way with the hyphen and no "e".
Check out THIS map.
Off to the right of the hotel and south of the museumkwartier, it's spelled Oud-Zuid.
Then in THIS map that I got from these boards, it shows Oude Zijde as being below the centraal station.

edit: HGF?
hasj

Post by hasj »

Arsonist wrote:Check out THIS map.
Off to the right of the hotel and south of the museumkwartier, it's spelled Oud-Zuid.
Then in THIS map that I got from these boards, it shows Oude Zijde as being below the centraal station.

That is correct, Old side is in the centre below Centraal and the Old south is down near the museum quarter. HGF is Homegrown Fantasy.
# on #! on #
Pala

Post by Pala »

hasj wrote:
Arsonist wrote:Check out THIS map.

That is correct, Old side is in the centre below Centraal and the Old south is down near the museum quarter. HGF is Homegrown Fantasy.
Yep what hasj said. Zuid and Zijde are two different words. "South" and "Side". I'm still unsure why Oud-Zuid and Oud-West are spelled with hyphens.
Arsonist

Post by Arsonist »

Pala, Hasj.
You guys are great! Thanks for clearing that matter up.
Kingdoc

Post by Kingdoc »

Is a bit like De & Het,Like De Wallen,& het huis! "De" should only be used when explaining something! like "the wallen",& het is used more in sentences! ie het palace en heir ie (The palace is here),Double dutch indeed but it gets easier,Koffeeshop en nederland alletijd goed voor jou! dag nu & tot ziens/slaap lekker ikk werk op mandag morgen,KD.