De en Het?

Dutch language.
Ste_1

De en Het?

Post by Ste_1 »

Hallo

Ik begrijp het neit wanneer u hab de un het.

Kun je help alstubleift

Dank u

OK so the above may not read as it should but I wanted to say;

Hello

I don't understand when you use de un het.

Can you help please?

Thankyou

So first does it say that? lol And also when do you know when to use de un het, like het ontbijt and de grot or het paspoort and het geld.

Anyone who can assist?, Thanks
Ste

Old School Smoker

Re: De en Het?

Post by Old School Smoker »

Hi there.

This is one of the more 'interesting' aspects of the Dutch language. As someone who has learned the language 'from scratch' from my wife who is Dutch, (even after 15 years she tells me I still speak what she somewhat sarcasticly calls 'Amsterdam street Dutch'!) I still find the whole het / de business confusing, and regulary get it wrong. (I know I have it wrong when she just rolls her eyes as if to say "how many times do I have to tell you!!") But here is my very basic understanding of Dutch definite / indefinite articles......

Een = 'A' ...... Indefinite article, singular (as in English, no article is used for the plural indefinite form). E.g., "een kind" = "a child"; "kinderen" = "children".

Het = 'The'.... Definite article, singular; used with a limited group of nouns. E.g., "het kind" = "the child".

De = 'The' ..... Definite article, used for the singular form of all other nouns, as well as the plural form of all nouns that can have an article. E.g., het kind, but "de kinderen" = "the children".

The real trick is to know the limited group of nouns to which 'het' applies and as far as I can tell (and according to the wife) these just have to be learned by pratice.

I hope this may be of some limited assistance.

Peace,
Old School.

P.S. I wouldn't dream of 'dissing' your very good attempt at your original question, may not be perfect but it gets the message across very clearly. Dutch is one hell of a language to learn, but stick at it and it does get easier (Trust me!)
Ste_1

Re: De en Het?

Post by Ste_1 »

Excellent, Cheers Old School. :idea: