Learning Dutch is a must!

Dutch language.
Puffin13

Post by Puffin13 »

Everyone living in the Netherlands has to learn Dutch. This is the message of a publicity campaign the Dutch government is about to launch urging foreigners to take their own responsibility.

The move comes amid growing concerns that immigrants don't do enough to learn Dutch.

A short information film to be frequently aired on television shows several foreigners trying to explain something to a Dutch national - and clearly failing to do so. The subtitled film ends with the caption "real life comes without subtitles", followed by a call to learn Dutch.

The film aims to show that daily life requires everyone to know Dutch to find work, talk with neighbours and doctors, and raise children. Integration Minister Eberhard van der Laan, who oversees the campaign, emphasises that integration comes with obligations.

Integration Minister Eberhard van der Laan:

Minister Eberhard van der Laan"People who can't make themselves understood in Dutch, should not be surprised if others don't understand them."

Source & rest of article

Cannabis is The Tree of Life
Fat Freddie

Post by Fat Freddie »

It is reasonable to ask immigrants to learn Dutch, though being british it gives me a wry grin as we have always been criticised for not speaking other languages abroad esp in europe but my experience is that most of the younger generations of europeans either speak english well or understand it well enough.

which doesn't give us much incentive to learn LOL
milehigh

Post by milehigh »

In reference to speaking to a Doctor. I spend a lot of time in Dutch Hospitals and clinics. I have noticed most signs are in English. All the test equipment is in English. I asked the Dutch Dr. what language he was trained in. He told me both. He told me that Nederlands is not complicated enough nor do enough people in the world speak it to be medical educated in Dutch alone.

I believe the reason for this message is that the Netherlands is losing it's identity and this is a poor atttempt to keep some of it. Let people speak the language they want. There are many shops in Amsterdam where you cannot find anyone that speaks Dutch. I don't like being left out of conversations and I have found that the Dutch are the one people in the world that will speak Dutch if there are two Dutch speakers in the room. Even if everyone speaks fluent English they still insist on speaking Dutch to each other. At first I thought it was rude. I soon learned it was just ignorance. No harm intended.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

In my home city of sunny (Well 2day anyway :lol: )Birmingham U.K we have certain areas where you will be lucky to find any1 who speaks English :shock:
My missus is a Teacher in one of these areas and the Kids come in not knowing any english. They where born here and lived here all there lives. The problem comes from the parents comming to our country and only using there own language. This is then passed onto the children who then struggle to learn another language (ENGLISH) when attending school.
I can fully understand why they would want you to learn there language as my own country has lost its identity from a similar problem.
If you are going to live in another country it would be better to at least make an effort to learn there language.
If we had taken a stance like this maybe our country would not be overun with people who cant, and wont learn English.
SoulRider

Post by SoulRider »

I am making a concious effort to learn dutch, but am struggling, as soon as someone speaks to me in English, all Dutch goes out of my head, I only really learn when someone can't really speak english.

I need a dutch gf to learn it properly ;)
Just trying to be 'En Vogue'
InsaneSkippy

Post by InsaneSkippy »

I would much rather own up to being an American tourist than trying to speak Dutch and completely embarrassing myself. I know a few words (hello, goodbye, thank you, etc.) but that's the extent of my Dutch lol.
Next Trip: March 7th - 15th
Kingdoc

Post by Kingdoc »

Its easier to read & write in dutch than it is to speak it,Especially when they start speaking fast 8).
Puffin13

Post by Puffin13 »

InsaneSkippy wrote:I know a few words (hello, goodbye, thank you, etc.) but that's the extent of my Dutch lol.
You have made a great start, InsaneSkippy. The effort you put into it is definitely appreciated by the Nederlanders. Keep on truckin! :wink:
Cannabis is The Tree of Life
Woob

Post by Woob »

I know the dutch words for the numbers 0 -9-thx to all the commercials late nite for talking to hot ladies.Those and the ringtone commercials
puffpuffgive

Post by puffpuffgive »

i kan nu een beetje nederlands spreken! het is heel goed. ik verkeese nederlands boven duits.

:) :) :)
ik hou van amsterdam
photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/bananaface1000/
sh@dy

Post by sh@dy »

puffpuffgive wrote:i kan nu een beetje nederlands spreken! het is heel goed. ik verkeese nederlands boven duits.

:) :) :)
so you are insulting me? wtf! (i have no idea what you said)

I think its right to make all people living there learn the language, but the netherlands have been multi-cultural for many years now, they have been the "gate to europe" for even longer and at least since weed became totaly illegal in the last century the "border-dutchs" speak english,german,french because they have to deal with them alot....I always find this great as this is great, you can talk with almost everyone in some language
DC

Post by DC »

'Learning Dutch is a must!' No it's not. :roll:
sh@dy

Post by sh@dy »

DC wrote:'Learning Dutch is a must!' No it's not. :roll:
I find this really rude to be honest.....I wouldnt want to live in a country and not learn the language, its rude against everyone else who lives there
DC

Post by DC »

Try living here for over 7 years and then tell me it's rude, ya gotta live here to understand what I'm talkin about. Look at the economy and Dutch TV just to start, then compare it with the surrounding countries and you'll see what I mean. It aint rude...just a fact.
beejun

Post by beejun »

It is defo rude to live in the Netherlands and not trying to learn the language. Just coz people speak english is not an excuse. If you a tourist you don't need to learn it.
top 3 strainz : NY Diesel, Amnesia and Cheese.