Learning Dutch is a must!

Dutch language.
Toker70

Post by Toker70 »

Good luck with the tests D.C hope all turns out well

Babylon 'wan tief mi 'erb. But mi bun it bfoe dey come.
Trichome_Dense

Post by Trichome_Dense »

DC wrote:
murphyscafe wrote:dc, u had a j since 420?
Dude, I've had no tobacco for over 3 weeks now, though I've had a few small pure joints, couple of bongs, pipe and a go on the vaporiser but they all leave me sore still. Going for a chest xray and some blood tests tomorrow, so maybe that'll identify what's happening. It may not actually be the smoking after all. :roll:

Coincidently enough, all appointments were made and carried out in english.

It also has me examing the 'Tolerance' concept seeing how my weed intake is down by atleast 95%. I've found it's deffinately semantics and how people use the word tolerance and the more you think about it, the less tolerant your brain becomes to the subject.:roll: :D

MH Dutch? was a rhetorical question.
Maybe you are/are not a religious man DC - but I like to think that God hears our prayers... So I've said a prayer for you and hope all is well with your health buddy!

Hey, congrats on the "no tobacco" have you given up? I find tobacco very difficult to stop! Its too damn addictive...
... as long as it aint a cheque ;)
stew1974

Post by stew1974 »

/o
Last edited by stew1974 on Thu 14th May 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trichome_Dense

Post by Trichome_Dense »

Stew - how are the patches going? I've got some of the NHS non-smoking clininc for free but havent opened the packet yet!!!

Any info from a fellow blazer is good regarding this ...
:)
stew1974

Post by stew1974 »

/o
Last edited by stew1974 on Thu 14th May 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DC

Post by DC »

Thanks chaps. Probaby nothin to worry about. :D

To be honest, I don't miss the tobacco at all...no cravings nothin. which surprises me cos I've been smokin for years. I thought with the cut down in weed I'd be bustin for a cig all the time, but no. The doctor did say that the sound of the lung had improved a lot since stopping tobacco, only 3 weeks, so that might give some of you baccy smokers out there a nudge in the right direction...if not then, I've bought 6 new ps3 games since stopping. :idea: :D I still prefer a mixed joint over these pure ones though. :roll: :twisted:

Nicotine patches...yeah fine, don't bother me at all...

..mind you, some people suit them better than others!.. :wink:

You know yer in trouble when yer in the last age selection group filling in medical forms.. 35 and over. :shock: By the way, I've always had very little patience for tossers, smoking cigs or not. :D
stew1974

Post by stew1974 »

/o
Last edited by stew1974 on Thu 14th May 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stew1974

Post by stew1974 »

DC please refrain from posting pics of me and my girlfriend in future. i admit we are an odd couple and not everyone takes us seriously. :?
DC

Post by DC »

Tell her she doesn't suit grey trousers. :? :P

Oh yeah, that was me back then too :roll: ....Mind you, I was supposed to get stabbed that time...not just my nipples pinched. :shock: :D
Trichome_Dense

Post by Trichome_Dense »

stew1974 wrote:TD as for calling you out, with a wink i must add, this was in reference to some prick having a go at DC. I'm not DC's friend or mate but one thing he doesn't do is hide. It annoys me that a war of words online results in a prick saying "uh well ill be there so come say it to my face". FFS. Same happenened a year or two back, funnily DC was involved again :lol: What we both know is DC is big enough and er... sorry, DC is ugly enough to look after himself :D. Online banter and all that. So for your sake it's a good job i was only joking when calling you out :lol: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :lol:
I know you was only joking when you called me out Stew - but I don't understand the purpose of this message - Coz it was you who was calling me out (for a joke) not DC... hmmm... Unless you was trying to tell me that you'll have DC fight your battles for you? lol :wink: :wink:

Hey thanks for the info regarding the ciggies - I think I may have to seriously consider giving the patches a try... And I have tried those inhalator thingys...

See I play online gaming on my PSP - and sometimes when I'm doing badly, I light a cigarette in between loading times - Problem with this is that the cigarette always burns out before I've smoked even 3 drags of it...

Tried the Nicorette Inhalor thing - and the nicotine fix is instantaneous, actually made concentrating on my online gaming better. But i've lost it now. Hey, thanks for the info guys.
tastywaves

Post by tastywaves »

Best luck with the results and I'm sure it will be alright. I smoked for 32 years and quit 01/01/2000 an everything is fine and feeling great. I only burn bud now. I'm proud of everyone who quits. Peace.
Pass the peace pipe.
Burning em since 69'
Jasmeena

Post by Jasmeena »

I don't think it's a must either... but that doesn't mean that I won't.

I love learning languages but am usually too shy to use them! With Dutch, I lived here for a couple of years before and went on a couple of courses and yes, still have those books, and could understand quite a bit of what was said.. even at work, the meetings were held in Dutch and I still managed to follow them.. I was just dreading the day when it was my turn to take the minutes!!

English is widely spoken yes, and BBC1/2 is available.. but I do find it is handy to make an effort to learn the language of the country in which one is living! And it's really quite an easy language, esp if you have learned German or even French to some extent! Now of course, I've forgotten most of my German in place of the Dutch! :)

In this economic climate, I think it is important to have at least conversational Dutch, as when searching for a job, prospective employers can use the lack of Dutch as a reason not to hire you... (yes, I am looking for work)

I do also find that when speaking English to my hubby in the supermarket for example, other Dutch speakers turn around in surprise... And I've found in the past, when trying to use Dutch, the Dutch speakers then ask if they can practise their English on me! ;)
"Don't step on the grass... smoke it!!"
Kingdoc

Re: Learning Dutch is a must!

Post by Kingdoc »

Puffin13 wrote:Learning Dutch is a must!

Everyone living in the Netherlands has to learn Dutch. This is the message of a publicity campaign the Dutch government is about to launch urging foreigners to take their own responsibility.

The move comes amid growing concerns that immigrants don't do enough to learn Dutch.

A short information film to be frequently aired on television shows several foreigners trying to explain something to a Dutch national - and clearly failing to do so. The subtitled film ends with the caption "real life comes without subtitles", followed by a call to learn Dutch.

The film aims to show that daily life requires everyone to know Dutch to find work, talk with neighbours and doctors, and raise children. Integration Minister Eberhard van der Laan, who oversees the campaign, emphasises that integration comes with obligations.

Integration Minister Eberhard van der Laan:

Minister Eberhard van der Laan"People who can't make themselves understood in Dutch, should not be surprised if others don't understand them."

Source & rest of article

I am buddy! i wont be living there but its nice to exchange some words here & there.
TRANCE

Post by TRANCE »

Don't think I could ever master or learn to speak Dutch, what with all that phlegm throat noise with certain words in Dutch.
MY AMSTERDAM MAP = www.amsterdamer.supanet.com
Kingdoc

Post by Kingdoc »

TRANCE wrote:Don't think I could ever master or learn to speak Dutch, what with all that phlegm throat noise with certain words in Dutch.

Nothing wrong with you reading & writing it thou.