Obama's Department of Justice Prosecution of Medical Marijua

Legal recreational and medical dispensaries.
Puffin13

Obama's Department of Justice Prosecution of Medical Marijua

Post by Puffin13 »

Obama's Department of Justice Prosecution of Medical Marijuana Providers

It's official – under Barack Obama, the Department of Justice will not restrain federal prosecutors targeting medical marijuana providers. Any lingering hopes that the new Administration would implement change in this area were blasted April 17 when U.S. Attorney Thomas O'Brien forwarded to District Judge George Wu a letter from DOJ clarifying ObamAdmin policy.

The clarification had been requested by Judge Wu. On March 23, responding to widespread media reports of a "policy change" under Obama, Wu had postponed the sentencing of Charles Lynch, 46, a Morro Bay dispensary operator, until the U.S. Attorney could provide a written statement elucidating the present policy.

The definitive letter, signed by H. Marshall Jarrrett, director of the office that oversees all U.S. Attorneys, is addressed to O'Brien.

"In response to your request, the Office of the Deputy Attorney General reviewed the facts of this case to determine whether the prosecution of Mr. Lynch comports with the Department of Justice's policies with respect to marijuana prosecutions. Based on the facts of this case, the Office of the Deputy Attorney General concurs with your office that the investigation, prosecution, and conviction of Mr. Lynch are entirely consistent with Department policies as well as public statements made by the Attorney General. Accordingly, you should seek to proceed with the sentencing recommendations which your office has filed with the court."

Attorney General Holder had proclaimed that DOJ would henceforth approve prosectuion only of those medical marijuana providers who violate state law as well as federal law. (Federal prosecutors and the DEA claim that this has been their approach all along.) Pro-cannabis activists contend that Lynch ran an exemplary operation in Morro Bay. The letter from Deputy AG Jarrett begs the question: in what way did Lynch's dispensary violate state law? No evidence of profiteering by Lynch had been introduced during his trial. Nevertheless, ObamAdmin policy is now unambiguous: California dispensaries are subject to DEA raids, and their operators are subject to prosecution. Gone is the hope of retroactive leniency for Tom Kikuchi, Stephanie Landa, Dustin Costa, and dozens more growers and dispensary operators who are in prison or facing prison terms.

The few that I've met are intelligent, skilled, decent people who, in a rational society, would be contributing to the welfare of their families and communities.

Judge Wu will sentence Charles Lynch April 23 at 10:30 a.m. in his Los Angeles courtroom. Supporters will be out in force. Ronnie Naulls is one of those in the pipeline to prison whose fate will be affected by Jarrett's letter. He emails, "This is very upsetting news. We all have to join together and go to court to support Charles. Lord knows I would be there in a heartbeat but because of my house arrest I will be there in spirit."

Source

(You can tell when a politician is lying. His lips move. Obama is turning out to be "just another politician". So much for "change". :twisted: )

Cannabis is The Tree of Life
sh@dy

Post by sh@dy »

now he shows his real face. he is just another politician who works for the big bosses of the industry and not for the people. I really thought something could change in the US, but it seems this was only said to get the votes of the stoners......
TwoCanucks

Post by TwoCanucks »

No US president will ever legalize marijuana. Not unless other countries do it first. The US would only change its laws under international pressure and that simply is never going to happen in our lifetimes.

TC
Amsterdam dreaming.............
Clayman

Post by Clayman »

sh@dy wrote:now he shows his real face. he is just another politician who works for the big bosses of the industry and not for the people. I really thought something could change in the US, but it seems this was only said to get the votes of the stoners......
its amazing what americans will choose not to see if you dress up real nice.
2 punk rockers in the Big Smokey 4/3-4/9
beejun

Post by beejun »

I STRONGLY AGREE WITH YOU!
People expect to much of obama, like he's gona save the world and everything, fuck that!
Most of you know he got people above him and he's just a puppet.
sick of seeing him portrayed as superman by soo many people.
ps i dont dislike the guy and he defo not as thick as bush.
top 3 strainz : NY Diesel, Amnesia and Cheese.
doobydave

Post by doobydave »

This is very unfortunate.

So much for 'democracy'.
:cry:
Clayman

Post by Clayman »

beejun wrote:I STRONGLY AGREE WITH YOU!
People expect to much of obama, like he's gona save the world and everything, fuck that!
Most of you know he got people above him and he's just a puppet.
sick of seeing him portrayed as superman by soo many people.
ps i dont dislike the guy and he defo not as thick as bush.
call me completely disallusioned, i dont trust anyone who rises that far in modern politics, no matter how much their PR guys talk about how 'clean' they are.

my policy is: i'll vote for whoever gets high with me and actually listens to what i have to say. ...i do alot of 'write in' ballots.
2 punk rockers in the Big Smokey 4/3-4/9
Kingdoc

Post by Kingdoc »

The way obama was talking about this so called "war on terrorism" you would have thought it was bush standing there,I thought we were gona break from all this fear & terror level b**lshit.
beejun

Post by beejun »

Kingdoc wrote:The way obama was talking about this so called "war on terrorism" you would have thought it was bush standing there,I thought we were gona break from all this fear & terror level b**lshit.
Sadly true! Mainstream media do not help either!
Sir Niall of Essex-sire

Post by Sir Niall of Essex-sire »

doobydave wrote:This is very unfortunate.

So much for 'democracy'.
:cry:
Churchills statement of democracy nots the best system we got but crucially its not the worse comes to mind?

TBH democracy has worked, the person who the public voted for won, thats democracy.

The situation of the world atm is hugely problematic, therefore mj will take a backseat. Obamas policy is different from Bush's, would he of tried to re-start talks of Iran? Obama is in the target of many republicans and republican biased media, e.g Fox news. I watched the Oreily Factor the other day, and it was something along the lines of liberals will let gay men hold hands in the street and blow mj smoke in your face. So if he was to legalize weed they would jump straight on it. Dont let the power of the media be forgotten here....

He's not doing too bad, difficult times as they are, i dont think hes doing too bad at all. He is afterall in the buisness of politics, he wasnt going to impliment change massively straight away, that would alienate him too much, he has to be coy with this shit.

I hope the gay marriage etc issues are combated by him first, then he should deal with the mj issue. Gay rights are human rights, i think that takes precident. Gone way off point here, but i dont think Obamas doing that bad. I said it before, larger protests will force his hand, perhaps that may be a good use of our spare time??
Defeating evil with a thing called love
beejun

Post by beejun »

I dont agree with gay marriage and dont think gay issues should go first.
I dont want my children to grow up and think its allrite to get married with som1 of the same sex ! It's not something normal.
The MJ issue is much more important than the gay rights! People dont go to jail for beeing a fag or a lesbian as far as i know.
OneForTheRoad

Post by OneForTheRoad »

beejun wrote:People dont go to jail for beeing a fag or a lesbian as far as i know.
They used to in this country and still do in some Countries around the world. As much as I want to see MJ legalized, I feel the world has bigger problems at the minute and unless there is a huge movement to legalize it, it will stay sadly on the backburner for some time :( :( :(
I like stuff
doobydave

Post by doobydave »

doobydave wrote:This is very unfortunate.

So much for 'democracy'.
Crying or Very sad

As in it is unfortunate that these states that have passed laws allowing MM are being overruled by the feds.
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Sir Niall of Essex-sire wrote

TBH democracy has worked, the person who the public voted for won, thats democracy.

Thats absolutly correct. Some one said once "Politics is the art of the do-able" Dont squander your political capital on non runners. which doesn't mean that an issue is forgotten, just that its something to keep on the back burner until the time is right for some incremental movement. So, we have to keep the case on the radar.

Luv & Peace 8)
What a long strange trip it is.
Sir Niall of Essex-sire

Post by Sir Niall of Essex-sire »

beejun wrote:I dont agree with gay marriage and dont think gay issues should go first.
I dont want my children to grow up and think its allrite to get married with som1 of the same sex ! It's not something normal.
The MJ issue is much more important than the gay rights! People dont go to jail for beeing a fag or a lesbian as far as i know.
You dont think Gay issues should go first? You would prefer cannabis rights go first? IMO thats very very short sighted and wrong, homosexuality is not wrong, its a naturally occuring human behaviour, this can be proven by countless studies in which homosexual behaviour has been found in animals. So if it is natural how can it not be normal? It is in fact a natural completely pre-deterimed human condition,cannabis use is not pre-determined and is a choice which people make. So your statement is that rights concerning a choice have precident over rights concerning a natural human condition. Christian and religious bullshit doctrine may convince you that homosexuallity is a choice, but however it is once again predujice hiding behind faith. If your logic is correct, then lets turn back the clocks fifity years and go into the USA, would you of prefered cannabis rights over human rights regarding racism? Before you say its a different situation i would like you to point out how it is different, race is pre-determined and completely natural, black people were subject to prejudice as are homosexuals, it was thought that black people were forcing a culture on the rest of society, same as homosexuals, black people were victims of violence on the streets and guess who that also happens to?

How can you argue a policy of tolerence regarding cananbis but refuse to use it in your own life in regards to fellow human beings. People dont like cannabis use, should that mean that indivituals are banned from using it? In my view no, you may also say no, yet you assert the same logic on homosexuals. You may not want to participate in their lifestyle, but you could tolerate it, after all thats the same result we after for cannabis.

SpiderGawd : your right man, the worlds got alot more issues atm that will get dealt with first to help please the majority and the politicians. We need to keep it on peoples minds, the best way to do this is by a show of force and support at protests. For all UK people, check out the next Pinkys protest.
Defeating evil with a thing called love