Police 'sniff out £1m cannabis haul' in Portadown

CloudMaster

Police 'sniff out £1m cannabis haul' in Portadown

Post by CloudMaster »

"BBC News Website - Northern Ireland - 16 October 2014 Last updated at 11:56

Cannabis found by officers in County Armagh is now believed to be worth up to £1m, the police have said.

Officers discovered a cannabis factory containing a large number of plants and cultivation equipment after a police patrol noticed a smell in Portadown

The discovery was made on Wednesday, when officers on patrol in Portadown "noticed a smell" of cannabis.

They searched a house on Church Street and discovered a cannabis factory containing a large number of plants and cultivation equipment.

They have arrested two men, aged 36 and 21, who are currently being questioned about the seizure.

During their initial investigations on Wednesday, police estimated the cannabis plants were worth about £500,000.

'Scratch and sniff'

However, following further searches and analysis, officers said they now believe the cannabis has an estimated street value "of between £750,000 and £1m".

Det Ch Insp Stephen Wright said: "We are pleased to have removed this amount of cannabis from circulation in our community and I would urge anyone who has information in relation to drugs to contact us immediately on 101."

The cannabis factory contained lighting equipment and plants believed to have a street value of up to £1m

The officer also reminded the public that they could help to combat the illegal cultivation of cannabis by using "scratch and sniff cards".

The initiative was launched a few weeks ago by the Police Service of Northern Ireland, in a bid to help the public recognised the smell of growing cannabis.

"The cards contain an element that replicates the smell of cannabis in its growing state, which is a different smell to when it is being smoked.

"We hope these cards will help to educate and inform about how you can spot and detect cannabis factories," Det Ch Insp Wright said."

Slip & Sal

Re: Police 'sniff out £1m cannabis haul' in Portadown

Post by Slip & Sal »

Someone please send me 100 scratch and sniff cards pre scratched in seperate enevelopes. I think it would really give the Aussie customs something to do. 8) :mrgreen:
I don't take drugs, I am Drugs.
darkglobe

Post by darkglobe »

This article should be in the UK section...please move.
"That cats something i can't explain"
CloudMaster

Post by CloudMaster »

darkglobe wrote:This article should be in the UK section...please move.
Apologies, I did realise this was NI after I posted and yes it should be in the UK section :oops: .

Sorry But I don't know how to move the topic to the UK thread so once again apologies...
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Thats a fair old set-up in that house :shock:. Bad location I think, you need to be somewhere a bit remote if you're going to get serious. Or change your filters more often :idea:.
What a long strange trip it is.
aktaz

Post by aktaz »

Is that all you can contribute "darkglobe" Ireland has 32 counties, and have you ever been to Northern Ireland or portadown for that matter. I enjoy reading these forums but every now and again people like you put up bigotry posts similar to the time Celtic played Ajax, when one of the members of here didn't follow up on a travel log, the abuse he got on was shameful. I know NI is under UK rule but I don't go jumping on bandwagons and taking pointless digs. Leave religion and politics out of this forum and let everyone enjoy their smoke and get along.
darkglobe

Post by darkglobe »

aktaz wrote:

Is that all you can contribute "darkglobe" Ireland has 32 counties, and have you ever been to Northern Ireland or portadown for that matter. I enjoy reading these forums but every now and again people like you put up bigotry posts similar to the time Celtic played Ajax, when one of the members of here didn't follow up on a travel log, the abuse he got on was shameful. I know NI is under UK rule but I don't go jumping on bandwagons and taking pointless digs. Leave religion and politics out of this forum and let everyone enjoy their smoke and get along.
I knew as soon as i posted the above,that some idiot troll would make some remark. :roll:
Yes,I have been to "The North"many times,seeing as I live on the Island.Although i must admit that I've never been to Portadown,but what that has to do with anything is beyond me.
The reason i made the post was to keep the forum as tidy and accurate as poss.But mostly cos of the headline which mentions "£1 Million "As I'm sure you're aware,The Republic of Ireland uses the Euro and this could confuse people.
I can easily see why so many have left this site...it sure is getting BOOOOOIRING.
"That cats something i can't explain"
Mr&miss

Post by Mr&miss »

spidergawd wrote:Thats a fair old set-up in that house :shock:. Bad location I think, you need to be somewhere a bit remote if you're going to get serious. Or change your filters more often :idea:.
U can't get remote over here fair play its all fields but I live in a really remote area and there a police chopper fly's this area every couple of days more than once a day
MellowStu

Post by MellowStu »

U can't get remote over here fair play its all fields but I live in a really remote area and there a police chopper fly's this area every couple of days more than once a day[/quote]

If your set up properly indoors you shouldnt be worrying about helicopters!
Mr&miss

Post by Mr&miss »

MellowStu wrote:U can't get remote over here fair play its all fields but I live in a really remote area and there a police chopper fly's this area every couple of days more than once a day
If your set up properly indoors you shouldnt be worrying about helicopters![/quote]

u think
Mr&miss

Post by Mr&miss »

Some has no smoke left, wat ya bein a snappy for the dude made a mistake