Cannabis To Be ‘Fully Legal In UK Within Years’

AzLaker

Cannabis To Be ‘Fully Legal In UK Within Years’

Post by AzLaker »

By Adam Forrest -July 29, 2019010

"I want the market legalised, regulated and taken away from crime gangs," says Labour MP David Lammy after trip to Canada Photo;

A group of cross-party MPs said the UK could completely legalise cannabis use within a decade following a research trip to Canada.

Labour’s David Lammy, the Liberal Democrats’ Sir Norman Lamb and Conservative MP Jonathan Djanogly visited the country to study the legal weed market, set up after the drug was decriminalised there last year.

Both Sir Norman and Mr Lammy, who funded their own flights and accommodation, said they believed the drug would be legalised in about five years.

The Tottenham MP said he had changed his stance on the drug, deciding to back legalisation in a departure from his party’s official position.

“I want the market legalised, regulated and taken away from crime gangs,” the Tottenham MP told BBC’s Newsbeat. “I want to see the strength of the stuff reduced, labelled and properly organised in this country.”

Sir Norman has become the first serving British MP to openly take a cannabis product on camera after sampling the drug’s oil – which unlike its form in the UK included THC – for Newsbeat’s documentary on the Canada trip.

The Lib Dem, who has led his party’s official backing for the legalisation of cannabis, spoke openly about how he uses cannabis oil “for sleeping” and “for relaxation”.

He said it was “ridiculous” he had to flush cannabis oil containing THC down the toilet before returning home because bringing it back into the UK would have been a criminal act.

THC is a compound within cannabis which gets users high. Cannabis is illegal for recreational use in the UK, although it can be prescribed for medicinal purposes.

Support for legalising cannabis grows among British public

Mr Djanogly differed in his estimations of the length of time it would take for the UK to allow recreational use of cannabis, predicting legalisation would take at least 10 years and possibly as long as 15 years to happen.

“I think we have got a lot to learn before the legalisation of recreational cannabis, which I think will happen at some point,” he said.

The Tory MP said building legal cannabis factories in the UK could help boost employment in former industrial cities. “I don’t know about the scale involved, but cannabis is now roughly half a per cent of GDP, so it must be creating jobs somewhere,” he said.

The MPs’ research trip was organised by UK harm reduction group Volte Face.

AzLaker
8)

If you never do, you'll never know.
Essexturk420

Re: Cannabis To Be ‘Fully Legal In UK Within Years’

Post by Essexturk420 »

It would be good to see it legal in the uk i just cant see it happening . Shame really but i rekcon if it was going to become legal it would defo be overpriced and the medical card would be thousands
Smirks

Post by Smirks »

Yeah, for sure he flushed it down the toilet before coming back to the UK, more likely he downed the lot before boarding.
FODSmith

Post by FODSmith »

Smirks wrote: Wed 31st Jul 2019 02:30 pm Yeah, for sure he flushed it down the toilet before coming back to the UK, more likely he downed the lot before boarding.
I hope so. Or gave it to someone deserving. I hate waste, particularly that kind of waste.
Not_the_monk

Post by Not_the_monk »

Of course with our delightful new Home Secretary (backwards-ass UK anyway having drug policy run from that dept rather than Health) there's no chance of a change in the law for the better any time soon... in fact the progress made in a few local areas thanks to sensible thinking by local police chiefs is about to take a significant hit unfortunately;
The Guardian wrote:Patel indicated a return to a hard line on drugs offences after some forces had apparently not been taking action on possession.“Any form of drug use – you don’t turn a blind eye to it at all. It has a corrosive impact on people and communities,” she said.
Yay! :evil:
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Not_the_monk wrote: Sat 3rd Aug 2019 03:39 pm Of course with our delightful new Home Secretary (backwards-ass UK anyway having drug policy run from that dept rather than Health) there's no chance of a change in the law for the better any time soon... in fact the progress made in a few local areas thanks to sensible thinking by local police chiefs is about to take a significant hit unfortunately;
The Guardian wrote:Patel indicated a return to a hard line on drugs offences after some forces had apparently not been taking action on possession.“Any form of drug use – you don’t turn a blind eye to it at all. It has a corrosive impact on people and communities,” she said.
Yay! :evil:
When the police have given up not sure politicians posturing will change much. She's a Tory, she's just banging out the party line. Something has to give.

Meanwhile in Ireland, the government are changing the law so that personal possession of all drugs (on the first two instances of possession) will be seen as a medical issue and you will be offered help. It seems to be mainly aimed at harder drug users to get them into programs. Currently for personal possession of cannabis you go to court and get fined, so this will mean two chances before you have to go to court and get fined.
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Sanchez_

Post by Sanchez_ »

Eventually it will come around but certainly not under a Tory government, Labour haven't been exactly out and out supportive of it either over the years, closest we've had of clear party backing/manifesto is the liberal democrats in the last election, but their reputation is in tatters after the abysmal coalition they and with the Tories.

Times will change and essentially money talks, once they're done with selling all public services off, need some cashflow and decide how they're going to totally control it and fuck everyone over they'll plough ahead.