Greenhouse Effect

Comments on specific shops. Use search to find the topic for a shop.

Rate Greenhouse Effect

I like Greenhouse Effect
84%
I don't like Greenhouse Effect
16%

Total votes: 118

coconut

Re: Greenhouse Effect

Post by coconut »

popped in here last week and got some SSH was really nice smoke :)

the machine rages

Post by the machine rages »

To the idiot who attempted to derail the thread, I mentioned the GreenHouse Effect bar situated next to the GreenHouse coffee shop because it is effectively the same bar owned by the same owners. You can smoke in both. I thought my review would be helpful to people.

I'm returning to the Dam in December and will check out the bar again.

To the guy who will be staying near the GE, this is the best smoking/drinking bar in Amsterdam in my view and I've been visiting the Dam regularly for nearly 30 years.
Mr nice

Post by Mr nice »

the machine rages wrote:To the idiot who attempted to derail the thread, I mentioned the GreenHouse Effect bar situated next to the GreenHouse coffee shop because it is effectively the same bar owned by the same owners. You can smoke in both. I thought my review would be helpful to people.

To the guy who will be staying near the GE, this is the best smoking/drinking bar in Amsterdam in my view and I've been visiting the Dam regularly for nearly 30 years.

Thanks man, are the drinks cheap?
Yesterday, I Woke Up Sucking a Lemon.
the machine rages

Mr nice wrote:
the machine rages wrote:To the idiot who attempted to derail the thread, I mentioned the GreenHouse Effect bar situated next to the GreenHouse coffee shop because it is effectively the same bar owned by the same owners. You can smoke in both. I thought my review would be helpful to people.

Thanks man, are the drinks cheap?
Yes, the drinks are much cheaper than nearby bars. When I was there last, full-priced local bottled beers were 1.5 to 1.8 euros and pints of Amstel draft 3.5 euros. I recommend the bottled beers, more yeasty and flavoursome and measure by measure better value. They also have long happy hours.

Incidentally, I don't know whether you are into Premier League English football, but directly opposite the Greenhouse Effect there is an excellent sports bar that show all the games on big screens. They let you smoke weed there as well. Here pints are 5 euros but if you're into football like me, its worth spending a few hours here.

If you do decide to go, I recommend you get there 15 minutes prior to KO to get one of the raised seats directly facing the bar. They are really comfortable, you can stretch out with plenty of leg room and you get a perfect view of the giant screen behind the bar. They also do proper Angus steak burgers and chunky chips and it's waitress service. At half time, they blare out the sound system.

This is what I love about the Dam - good service, good sound systems and good weed. In general, the Dutch know how to look after their customers.
the machine rages

Here is some additional info that you might find useful:

The place I regularly stay in when I'm in the Dam is called the Best Western Blue Square Hotel which is a good quality and comfortable a four star hotel. I'm spending 3 nights there in December and in total it's costing me just £117 inclusive of taxes without breakfast.

So for a double room for a couple it works out at under 20 notes each a night, cheaper than many hostels.

It's about a 20 minute tram journey to Dam Square but I personally like staying out of the centre because it gives you a different perspective of the city.

The best coffee shops and places to buy the best quality weed at the cheapest places in the Dam are the ones frequented mainly by locals usually found in the side streets.

As I say, I've been going to the Dam for 30 years and you won't find better places than the following:

Amnesia @ Herengraacht 133
Noon @ Zieseniskade 22 ( near the Paradiso)
De Eerste Hulp @Marnixstraat 194 (the very nice Jordaan district)
The Rookies (close to Noon)

For a map of the location of the above, go to:

https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/Map.html

For the cheapest food of good quality check out the restaurants in China town.

The quality of the food in the Chinese restaurants is much higher than in the UK.

Happy times.
Mr nice

Post by Mr nice »

the machine rages wrote:Here is some additional info that you might find useful:

The place I regularly stay in when I'm in the Dam is called the Best Western Blue Square Hotel which is a good quality and comfortable a four star hotel. I'm spending 3 nights there in December and in total it's costing me just £117 inclusive of taxes without breakfast.

So for a double room for a couple it works out at under 20 notes each a night, cheaper than many hostels.

It's about a 20 minute tram journey to Dam Square but I personally like staying out of the centre because it gives you a different perspective of the city.

The best coffee shops and places to buy the best quality weed at the cheapest places in the Dam are the ones frequented mainly by locals usually found in the side streets.

As I say, I've been going to the Dam for 30 years and you won't find better places than the following:

The quality of the food in the Chinese restaurants is much higher than in the UK.

Happy times.
Thanks again for the advice, regarding football, I am a fan but prefer the glamour of the Scottish First Division as I've been a Raith Rovers fan for over 20 years. I'm also an honorary Wrexham follower.

There's going to be a group of us heading over and although I'm not a big drinker, others are and it's good to know we can have a couple of nights in town without having to spend a fortune. I'll be there between 8th - 10th December so if your around then I'll repay your kindness with a pint and a spliff :mrgreen:
Yesterday, I Woke Up Sucking a Lemon.
the machine rages

Mr nice wrote:
the machine rages wrote:Here is some additional info that you might find useful:

Happy times.
Thanks again for the advice, regarding football, I am a fan but prefer the glamour of the Scottish First Division as I've been a Raith Rovers fan for over 20 years. I'm also an honorary Wrexham follower.

There's going to be a group of us heading over and although I'm not a big drinker, others are and it's good to know we can have a couple of nights in town without having to spend a fortune. I'll be there between 8th - 10th December so if your around then I'll repay your kindness with a pint and a spliff :mrgreen:
Very kind. Sadly, our 3 days don't clash. One final piece of advise: A great place to go when you've got the munchies is the cafe connected to the Victoria Hotel on the Damrak close to Centraal Station who do amazing apple strudles and cream with coffee for 6 euros.
Kev kirk

Latest greenhouse effect menu

Post by Kev kirk »

Hi has anyone got any pics of the latest greenhouse effect menu got a trip coming up and are staying here so will be buying my first bud here
FlyByNite

Re: Latest greenhouse effect menu

Post by FlyByNite »

The newest I have is a year old.

http://www.coffeeshopmenus.org/Greenhou ... ffect.html

You could remedy this. Ask first, then get a picture of the menu and email it to CoffeeshopMenus@gmail.com .
I will post it and credit you or whoever you want.

All the menu browsers out there will have a new menu to check out.

If you haven't yet been posted on the Whos In Town page, Get your dates in town to me and I will post you.

Enjoy
FlyByNite - Travel preference, not business practice
Coffeeshop Menus - Let your Mouse do the walking
Stiff Spliff

Post by Stiff Spliff »

I've known Amsterdam for 12 years and of all the coffeeshops in Warmoesstraat the GE is the only one I buy from, guaranteed that you are purchasing what is says on the menu 8)
I find it too small to sit for any length of time; you soon get fed up of people trailing or more often bumping past you. Always found the staff sound tho' and you do need a never-ending patience to deal with dumb tourists :roll: Hash cake is worthy also :D
'Life is like an ashtray, full of little doubts'
skeeta

Post by skeeta »

This is the first ever coffee shop i visited for my three days in dam over qeensday 2011.

I was really nervous (virgin nerves), the budtender was a sound guy sitting on a high stall wearing glasses and had scales next to him (he was like the weed god, all high and mighty). I asked for some drinks, orange juice was good x2. Then he said 'any weed?' Oh yes, the main reason I came here to be honest, didnt even want a drink, hadnt done my research before hand so didnt even know if this was a decent coffee shop, i just wanted a god dam spliff (oh how nieve), thought the drink was compolsary so that I didnt pee anyone off. 'Eeerrrmmm' was all i could think of saying cos as i glanced to my right at the weed god i saw a menu, a friggin menu i ideally should have studied before going to the counter. My girlfriend saw the orange juice making machine as we walked in and said i'll have an orange juice and i thought ok and went straight up to the counter. Im blaming the nerves. The weed was even there on the side in front of him labelled! I really did not plan this well at all.

So panic buy i did, pretending to be a pro (fully aware this is not a sport and simply buying weed, plus got a D in drama at school, so pretty sure he could tell i was a first timer). 'Eeeerrrmmm' gave me about 2 seconds to realise we did the buying and selling in grams (wow, i know, no need to comment) ' A gram of Lemon Haze (i like lemon) and a gram of Greenhouse special (the night before i had a special chow mein from my local chinese, normally have beef curry but thought i would try some different, to be fair it was really nice with all the mixed meats. This is the sole reason for choosing this bud)'. Oh and i got the mrs some cake.

A joint of each and 2 orange juices later, i was no longer a virgin, leaving this dark narrow coffeeshop, i felt a sense of pride and i was also pretty friggin high, me and the mrs had the giggles and the bright sunlight of dam bounced off the cobbled roads into my eyes and the world was a better place. Both weeds were a good smoke, would buy them again.

Thanks Greenhouse for my first experience!!
se7enty2wo

Post by se7enty2wo »

Mr nice wrote:
A Super Furry Animals avatar, and a love for a shite, provincial Scottish fitba team.

Are you married? :oops:

I had one of my best days out at the football ever up at Starks 5 seasons ago, the year you beat us to the Second Division title. We won 1-0 towards the end of the season and went top briefly.
Uh, I'm just gonna go find a cash machine....
Kev kirk

Post by Kev kirk »

Anybody purchased anything from greenhouse effect lately?goin to be staying here on my next trip so will probably be lookin to buy in there coffeeshop lookin for any recommendations
DRA

Post by DRA »

Kev kirk wrote:Anybody purchased anything from greenhouse effect lately?goin to be staying here on my next trip so will probably be lookin to buy in there coffeeshop lookin for any recommendations

Nice that you'll be staying at the Hotel, one of the better 2-star hotels in the centrum. I like the Hotel and the coffeeshop a great deal and I have stayed there many times. Last year they gave me vouchers to get a discount off my weed purchase at the coffeeshop. The menu at the coffeeshop is one of the better menus in many ways, not just with the variety but also with the information on the menu about each strain. It is a good way to help choose what you like, a haze or a kush or you're looking for indica or sativa, or you want something for during the day or you want something for the evening or you're strictly looking for taste or you're looking for the heavy stone... Ask the budtender for recommendations if you have any questions but I'm sure you won't be disappointed as long as you stay away from "ïmported" varities.

Wow... I got high and rambled on!

Party On! Light Up the Night!
DRA

Post by DRA »

Kev kirk wrote:Anybody purchased anything from greenhouse effect lately?goin to be staying here on my next trip so will probably be lookin to buy in there coffeeshop lookin for any recommendations
I forgot to post this link for you, it's from February of this year:

http://www.coffeeshopmenus.org/Greenhou ... 13Elmz.jpg

Enjoy!

Party On! Light Up the Night!