Voyagers

Comments on specific shops. Use search to find the topic for a shop.

Rate Voyagers

I like Voyagers
449
93%
I don't like Voyagers
35
7%
 
Total votes: 484

joossy
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat 27th Feb 2010 02:13 pm

Re: Voyagers

Post by joossy »

free_phil_spector wrote:To be fair, he has a point. It's not exactly the most salubrious place is it?! It's also on the small and bright side which is not good if you get a little paranoia/anxiety when smoking in strange places (I know I do). Being ID'd when you don't expect it (I still havent experienced this anywhere else in Amsterdam except at Voyagers) can also leave you feeling negative about the place on a first visit. And that bloody great dog doesnt help either, if you're not a bloody-great-dog kinda person.

There's no denying their product is exceptionally good quality but I'll only ever buy and fly from here. There are much nicer places within shambling distance where you can smoke and drink.
+1


the machine rages
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu 25th Oct 2012 07:56 am

Re: Voyagers

Post by the machine rages »

Maybe it's emphasis is for the evening stoner where the approach taken is a less formal one. Like I say, it's a matter of individual taste. I just think that expecting customers to drink out of a paper cup is a bit off.
User avatar
free_phil_spector
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon 4th Jun 2012 09:50 pm

Re: Voyagers

Post by free_phil_spector »

the machine rages wrote:Maybe it's emphasis is for the evening stoner where the approach taken is a less formal one.

I went there at night and it was so bright it was like being on the tube :lol:

Not the kind of environment I wanna get stoned in, but to each their own 8)
It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate - it takes guts to be gentle and kind...
the machine rages
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu 25th Oct 2012 07:56 am

Re: Voyagers

Post by the machine rages »

free_phil_spector wrote:
the machine rages wrote:Maybe it's emphasis is for the evening stoner where the approach taken is a less formal one.

I went there at night and it was so bright it was like being on the tube :lol:

Not the kind of environment I wanna get stoned in, but to each their own 8)
Me neither. After the guy asked this 50 year old man for ID, I thought to myself, this is odd but I'll give it a chance mainly because of the budtenders friendly persona and its much vaunted reputation for quality weed. I then took a step back and trod in what I can only assume was dog shit. Yes, I kid you not. But I decided on the El Cid anyway. After doing the best to wipe the shit from my shoe, I sat down on a worn out chair and ordered a coffee and was handed it in a paper cup. The owners must of spent about 2 bob on the place. To my mind that's not good enough, I'm afraid. It's fine for a late night drinking bar, perhaps, but not for a place that calls itself a coffee shop. Maybe I'm missing something here.
User avatar
free_phil_spector
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon 4th Jun 2012 09:50 pm

Re: Voyagers

Post by free_phil_spector »

I've posted my thoughts on their stupid (and yet still bafflingly arbitrary) "everyone gets ID'd" policy elsewhere on the forum so wont go into that again. But...
the machine rages wrote:I then took a step back and trod in what I can only assume was dog shit.

You're lucky. I took a step back and trod on (and nearly fell over in the process) the actual dog. He stared at me like he didnt know whether to laugh at me or savage me, and I shit a brick and hauled ass.
the machine rages wrote: It's fine for a late night drinking bar, perhaps
nope, that neither - there are far better places around there where you can drink and smoke into the early hours. But hey, I'm knocking on a bit too (turn 40 in a few months) so maybe it's just a younger scene :cry:
It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate - it takes guts to be gentle and kind...
the machine rages
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu 25th Oct 2012 07:56 am

Re: Voyagers

Post by the machine rages »

free_phil_spector wrote:I've posted my thoughts on their stupid (and yet still bafflingly arbitrary) "everyone gets ID'd" policy elsewhere on the forum so wont go into that again. But...
the machine rages wrote:I then took a step back and trod in what I can only assume was dog shit.

You're lucky. I took a step back and trod on (and nearly fell over in the process) the actual dog. He stared at me like he didnt know whether to laugh at me or savage me, and I shit a brick and hauled ass.
the machine rages wrote: It's fine for a late night drinking bar, perhaps
nope, that neither - there are far better places around there where you can drink and smoke into the early hours. But hey, I'm knocking on a bit too (turn 40 in a few months) so maybe it's just a younger scene :cry:
What I meant was, is that maybe the owner is specifically aiming for a rough and ready Camden-style smoke/ pub vibe which explains the lack of attention to detail in terms of decor/ID requirement. Whatever, the place doesn't work during the day in terms of being a comfortable chill out experience irrespective of the quality (or lack thereof) of its produce. I don't think I'd even return to buy and leave for fear of catching some kind of disease. The faint mix of a hint of dog shit with El Cid was not a pleasant combination.
Jonnybol
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue 21st Aug 2012 07:31 pm

Re: Voyagers

Post by Jonnybol »

Tryed pritty much the full menu especially loved the kandy,cld and the blu cheese
User avatar
USbongLord
Posts: 6743
Joined: Tue 19th Sep 2006 07:47 pm
Location: Baltimore,Amsterdam

Re: Voyagers

Post by USbongLord »

hey phil and rage....whaaaaaaaaah,sniff...lol....then PLEASE go somewhere else...dont ruin yer holiday by loosening up and having fun,,by all means,,heres a stick...,lol
rockin into the night
User avatar
Smirks
Posts: 1012
Joined: Mon 28th Nov 2011 01:50 pm
Location: Island in the sun

Re: Voyagers

Post by Smirks »

USBONGLORD wrote:hey phil and rage....whaaaaaaaaah,sniff...lol....then PLEASE go somewhere else...dont ruin yer holiday by loosening up and having fun,,by all means,,heres a stick...,lol
There's nothing wrong with their opinion Bong. Maybe a bit less constant praise by the regs and perhaps things might get a little better in terms of hygiene and quality of drinking vessels.
Neither of these guys is complaining about the standard of weed, so what's so wrong about having an opinion on subjective matters like this?

I spent a lot of time in squats in Hulme (Manchester) in the early nineties and Voyagers is quite similar. I like this, its a bit of nostalgia for me, even though my Trainspotting days are long behind me. I can see why some don't like it though and it does seem a bit odd that a shop that is OTT about IDing doesn't pay much attention to other factors that could also result in a forced closure. I'm not a dog hater but a dog's presence does have a way of imparting a feeling of unleanliness in a lot of people. On second thoughts, better to stick with paper cups...
Last edited by Smirks on Sat 29th Dec 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
treetop
Posts: 3197
Joined: Mon 18th May 2009 12:48 am
Location: with the sun occasionally on my back

Re: Voyagers

Post by treetop »

the machine rages wrote:
free_phil_spector wrote:I've posted my thoughts on their stupid (and yet still bafflingly arbitrary) "everyone gets ID'd" policy elsewhere on the forum so wont go into that again. But...
the machine rages wrote:I then took a step back and trod in what I can only assume was dog shit.

You're lucky. I took a step back and trod on (and nearly fell over in the process) the actual dog. He stared at me like he didnt know whether to laugh at me or savage me, and I shit a brick and hauled ass.
the machine rages wrote: It's fine for a late night drinking bar, perhaps
nope, that neither - there are far better places around there where you can drink and smoke into the early hours. But hey, I'm knocking on a bit too (turn 40 in a few months) so maybe it's just a younger scene :cry:
What I meant was, is that maybe the owner is specifically aiming for a rough and ready Camden-style smoke/ pub vibe which explains the lack of attention to detail in terms of decor/ID requirement. Whatever, the place doesn't work during the day in terms of being a comfortable chill out experience irrespective of the quality (or lack thereof) of its produce. I don't think I'd even return to buy and leave for fear of catching some kind of disease. The faint mix of a hint of dog shit with El Cid was not a pleasant combination.

Voyagers definitely is not Barney's. Not a lot can be done with that space. What they have got is sufficient. Better than Grey Area.

'Dive with character' is what it should be heading towards but to achieve real character takes time.

ps The dog shit story sounds like bs :P
How much did you produce?
User avatar
RvanSteensel
Posts: 1913
Joined: Wed 15th Feb 2012 08:51 pm

Re: Voyagers

Post by RvanSteensel »

Coffeeshops aren't meant to be big imo

This size is good , greyarea is a bit too small lol.
Relax and take notes , as I take tokes of the marihuana smoke
User avatar
hasj
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed 24th Nov 2010 10:55 am

Re: Voyagers

Post by hasj »

Rough and ready with great music is what Voyagers is, plus the weed of course!
# on #! on #
User avatar
Sailor59
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat 18th Feb 2012 08:17 pm
Location: La a'Bhlair s'math n Cairdean

Re: Voyagers

Post by Sailor59 »

While there is no doubting the quality of the weed or the service I prefer to sit in Paradox or one of the quieter shops out of the Centrum. Perhaps it is the age group (I'm well over 50). Also, I've always been asked for ID, never a problem. Last time there were no paper cups in evidence and the place was rammed. Buy and fly over to Paradox or down to De Pipj. Still a top shop though.
Matroos negenenvijftig
User avatar
USbongLord
Posts: 6743
Joined: Tue 19th Sep 2006 07:47 pm
Location: Baltimore,Amsterdam

Re: Voyagers

Post by USbongLord »

Smirks wrote:
USBONGLORD wrote:hey phil and rage....whaaaaaaaaah,sniff...lol....then PLEASE go somewhere else...dont ruin yer holiday by loosening up and having fun,,by all means,,heres a stick...,lol
There's nothing wrong with their opinion Bong. Maybe a bit less constant praise by the regs and perhaps things might get a little better in terms of hygiene and quality of drinking vessels.
Neither of these guys is complaining about the standard of weed, so what's so wrong about having an opinion on subjective matters like this?

I spent a lot of time in squats in Hulme (Manchester) in the early nineties and Voyagers is quite similar. I like this, its a bit of nostalgia for me, even though my Trainspotting days are long behind me. I can see why some don't like it though and it does seem a bit odd that a shop that is OTT about IDing doesn't give a shit about other (hygiene) factors that could also result in a forced closure.
cause the whole thing was bullshit....yeah...dog shit on floor...not for a sec..and ya stepped in it?....bs meter is pegged..and one last giant whaaaa for the paper cup comment...next time let em pour the coffee in yer pocket ...sorry they didn't pull out the French periwinkle majolica for ya :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D. And btw the coffee machine was spotless and clean as ALWAYS....and the 2 days it worked was wonderful :mrgreen:
rockin into the night
User avatar
Smirks
Posts: 1012
Joined: Mon 28th Nov 2011 01:50 pm
Location: Island in the sun

Re: Voyagers

Post by Smirks »

I've edited my original comment, as it was of course unfounded that there was ever dog shit on the floor, but its also possible that there was shit on the floor, dog or human, or that it was puke, dog or human, but it would then presumably be fresh as the shop keepers would of course have cleaned it up immediately upon discovering it. This can happen anywhere. Risk you take is with perception (whether true or not) when you keep a big dog in small premises.
Last edited by Smirks on Sat 29th Dec 2012 01:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply

Return to “Coffeeshop Reviews”