Black Star

Comments on specific shops. Use search to find the topic for a shop.

Do you like Black Star cs ?

I like the place
11
69%
I don't like the place
1
6%
I scored good stuff there
4
25%
I scored bad stuff there
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 16

User avatar
DeLekkersteNUGS16
Posts: 1079
Joined: Tue 2nd Jun 2015 08:49 pm

Re: Black Star

Post by DeLekkersteNUGS16 » Mon 29th Oct 2018 01:08 pm

OneHighMofo wrote:
Sat 27th Oct 2018 03:51 pm
I didn't disagree...

'd certainly agree that if anyone - The Plug proprietors have a direct connect to product that might be called legit from DyingBreed or Cookie Fam. Seens as his business partner is now US based and they seem to do enough Zkittles live-resin runs on the regular to supply at least one Spanish club they must either have a very stable F1 (bagseed) or a direct connect. Maybe that filters to one or two other sources sure. I can accept that.

As for everyone else selling Zkittlez until those seeds were released back in Summer? 99.9999% bagseed. Most likely Spanish grown. And don't get me wrong - there will be some keepers (and stable ones at that) amongst those seeds. But we're not calling bagseed legit. Not on my watch :lol:

As for every Cookies bag ever sold in the Dam (until maybe recently - see above). 100% Bagseed. Unless Cookie Fam are lying and are handing out cuts and seeds willy-nilly (hint; they're not).

I don't believe that even the top-shelf is worth more than £5 per gram personally.
I see what you getting out. I guess our differing views stem from what we mean by 'legit' here. I think you mean in a little bit more of a 'brand name' only coming from said producers. Whereas I mean stuff of a certain level of quality, and general genetic lineage(s), and (rolleyes) certain geographic origin. That said to me we don't call Amnesias or other hazes not legit despite the multitude of them being on offer from multiple seed-banks. Much akin to how in fact even among these elite producers in California, they've all got their own variants or cuts of each others strains, so whose cookies or gelato is legit Jungle Boyz or Cookies Fam, is JB's at least kinda legit because they're a big well-known/touted CA. cultivator? My point is when the debate gets to that point it's all just semantics.

Also on the note of the Plug as I said they're also connected tightly with Alien Labs & Connected California who are a bit confusing they seem to very closely linked to one another but also to Cookies Fam, either way they seem to touted as a 'legit' producer or provider of said goods in the States, and I think at least Alien Labs are involved in actual breeding (including cookies, sherb and gelato cross strains). Point is all again all of these guys have their own version of cookies or gelato or purple punch, sherb, etc. but if none are releasing their cuts how's that work, obviously either other breeders have cracked the genetic code or somebody somewhere is releasing cuts, again while still managing to breed their own successful version or at least crosses of many of these strains.

So yes probably 99% is not legit from the big name brand guys, but at least a slightly higher percentage of it is legit in being on the same level of quality and from similarly exotic (to Amsterdam at least) genetic backgrounds.

I wish I could agree about not paying more than 5 quid a gram, but alas I'm not afforded self-sufficient circumstances.



User avatar
OneHighMofo
Posts: 1627
Joined: Wed 25th Feb 2015 06:04 pm

Re: Black Star

Post by OneHighMofo » Tue 30th Oct 2018 09:27 am

You’ve taken a very off-the-cuff remark pisstake that I made very seriously mate ha ha ha but that’s okay!

The point i make. Is that when an establishment charges six times the going rate for a product, my feeling is if that product isn’t legitimate. Both the product, and the shop-and indeed the customer deserve some derision.

Because when you’re selling me a gram of Smarties at €30 I want to know that it’s fucking Smarties. You feel me bro?
When it isn’t ‘insert strain name here ‘ and in fact it’s just grown from bagseed. Any rational human being should be asking why am I paying more for this?

This hype is largely bullshit mate, for a whole host of reasons we’ve discussed elsewhere. Not just the supposed legitimacy of the products whether some of it is legitimate or not. The bullshit has reached epic proportions and deserves derision.

I will not let this slide, apologies if that offend your sensibilities, I refuse to stop taking the piss out of anybody who’s shopping in Amsterdam coffee shops for Californian import and paying those prices. (And yes I know that you’re not paying those prices and yes I realise that you potentially have a legitimate source)

But I’m afraid I cannot let this slide 🤗 I fundamentally refuse to stop taking the piss out of anybody who is shopping in Amsterdam coffee shops for Californian import and convincing themselves they’re smoking ‘te best’ 😂😂😂

If that market isn’t worth taking the piss out of I’m not sure what is! 👍😂🤪

User avatar
DeLekkersteNUGS16
Posts: 1079
Joined: Tue 2nd Jun 2015 08:49 pm

Re: Black Star

Post by DeLekkersteNUGS16 » Tue 30th Oct 2018 09:47 am

OneHighMofo wrote:
Tue 30th Oct 2018 09:27 am
You’ve taken a very off-the-cuff remark pisstake that I made very seriously mate ha ha ha but that’s okay!

The point i make. Is that when an establishment charges six times the going rate for a product, my feeling is if that product isn’t legitimate. Both the product, and the shop-and indeed the customer deserve some derision.

Because when you’re selling me a gram of Smarties at €30 I want to know that it’s fucking Smarties. You feel me bro?
When it isn’t ‘insert strain name here ‘ and in fact it’s just grown from bagseed. Any rational human being should be asking why am I paying more for this?

This hype is largely bullshit mate, for a whole host of reasons we’ve discussed elsewhere. Not just the supposed legitimacy of the products whether some of it is legitimate or not. The bullshit has reached epic proportions and deserves derision.

I will not let this slide, apologies if that offend your sensibilities, I refuse to stop taking the piss out of anybody who’s shopping in Amsterdam coffee shops for Californian import and paying those prices. (And yes I know that you’re not paying those prices and yes I realise that you potentially have a legitimate source)

But I’m afraid I cannot let this slide 🤗 I fundamentally refuse to stop taking the piss out of anybody who is shopping in Amsterdam coffee shops for Californian import and convincing themselves they’re smoking ‘te best’ 😂😂😂

If that market isn’t worth taking the piss out of I’m not sure what is! 👍😂🤪
Well again I think rereading what you wrote just now we agree here on most points. I think pretty much all the shops claiming to carry Cali are full of shit, except again to an extent/maybe the Plug - and I only think that's a few items on their menu that are 'certi' legit, and a few others that aren't 'certi' but like what I get of a certain level of quality/genetic profile(s), and actual geographic origin (rolleyes).

I think where both of us laugh, cringe and fume all at the same time is when shops like well all of them, but of note Club Media touting their Gelato as being cheap at 25 EUR/g, whom were subsequently torn a new asshole by some 'community members' on the gram, a few months back (including the breeder of said strain). Or lest we forget a certain name-slinging chain of shops who made a post saying "Other people wanna sell Cali for a lot, ____ does it for less: Blue Magic Shoreline Haze 18 EUR/g"

I guess my sensibilities were the uncertainty of whether you're throwing all 'purveyors' of "cali" under the bus here, non-CS sources included - because that's where I disagree at least a little. The local "plugs" like the shops are also rife with fakers, charging pisstake prices, but there's a higher percentage of them than shops, whose product I trust as legit (albeit still almost exclusively at pisstake prices). And like I said, I know what I get is legit enough in origin, genetic background and level of quality or else I would laugh even the (very relatively) cheap prices I pay out of the room.

I can grant the statement that all coffeeshops are selling this fake cali at pisstake prices - with the caveat (even though I don't shop there) that Plug likely has a few bits that are legit in origin, and definitely has more than a few that are legit on genetics/level of quality - again at prices that I do not condone - I don't think there's any other shop I really trust as having worthwhile Cali weed.

Edit: but yeah come to think of it, gun to my head if I had to spend over 20/EUR per g on some "Cali" the only lone CS I would do this laughable deed at would be the Plug, not a single other one that I think is remotely legit ...maybe Toermalijn in Tilburg (never been though, so not sure).

User avatar
OneHighMofo
Posts: 1627
Joined: Wed 25th Feb 2015 06:04 pm

Re: Black Star

Post by OneHighMofo » Tue 30th Oct 2018 10:20 am

Well, I’m not throwing all purveyors of Californian import under a bus. But I do hold a very healthy scepticism of the entire market. And personally I would never buy it unless it was at the same price as all the other indoor I’m buying.

Because when anyone tries to sell me something that I can visibly identify as indoor And tries to inflate the price due to a supposed rise in quality due to a tenuous understanding of terroir ( or indeed what constitutes quality in general) I’m looking at that person like they’ve got their hand in my underpants uninvited.

If it’s outdoor it’s almost unquestionably (It’s at least statistically likely) full of pesticides. If it’s indoor then it’s worth no more than the other commercial product everybody is smoking

User avatar
DeLekkersteNUGS16
Posts: 1079
Joined: Tue 2nd Jun 2015 08:49 pm

Re: Black Star

Post by DeLekkersteNUGS16 » Tue 30th Oct 2018 10:31 am

Hmm yeah I'm not fully buying into the terroir bit either, though in certain cases it may have some merit.
OneHighMofo wrote:
Tue 30th Oct 2018 10:20 am
And personally I would never buy it unless it was at the same price as all the other indoor I’m buying.
Regarding the quoted statement above, in your direct personal example, the quality and price are likely at a level where your statement is overwhelmingly reasonable.

However:
OneHighMofo wrote:
Tue 30th Oct 2018 10:20 am
If it’s indoor then it’s worth no more than the other commercial product everybody is smoking
I have to disagree because you're assuming personal circumstances of the user, and the pricing/quality on the the local cannabis market is at least somewhat uniform worldwide, and that is very much not the case - even here in Amsterdam.

User avatar
OneHighMofo
Posts: 1627
Joined: Wed 25th Feb 2015 06:04 pm

Re: Black Star

Post by OneHighMofo » Tue 30th Oct 2018 11:52 am

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote:
Tue 30th Oct 2018 10:31 am
I have to disagree because you're assuming personal circumstances of the user, and the pricing/quality on the the local cannabis market is at least somewhat uniform worldwide, and that is very much not the case - even here in Amsterdam.
Unsure what personal circumstances of the consumer have to do with this exorbitant pricing? If the quality were measurable, quantified and consistent; MAYBE then I could label it a 'luxury product' and agree that the consumers demographic is a useful factor in arriving at fair pricing. But I think we both know the truth of that matter.

The pricing is ridiculous. Even at >€10 p/g. For indoor? Really? Knowing it costs less than a Euro p/g to produce.... Even if it's from a 'legit' source - You still think that price is fair? Without the over-head of running a coffeeshop? Outdoor costs even less to produce. Good outdoor growers take 40 POUNDS off a plant... You still want to pay over 10? We'll have to disagree on that one.

Furthermore that pricing is clearly and 100% not based on quality Just like the rest of Amsterdams pricing 'structure' (laughable). It's clearly based on nothing but trend and the knowldege that the demographic has lots of disposable income to waste on standard product with a ridiculous price-tag: precicely because the seller knows his consumers cannot (for the most part) tell the difference because they know that 90% of the consumer base has never even come into contact with anything other than commercial quality.

User avatar
DeLekkersteNUGS16
Posts: 1079
Joined: Tue 2nd Jun 2015 08:49 pm

Re: Black Star

Post by DeLekkersteNUGS16 » Tue 30th Oct 2018 12:15 pm

OneHighMofo wrote:
Tue 30th Oct 2018 11:52 am
DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote:
Tue 30th Oct 2018 10:31 am
I have to disagree because you're assuming personal circumstances of the user, and the pricing/quality on the the local cannabis market is at least somewhat uniform worldwide, and that is very much not the case - even here in Amsterdam.
Unsure what personal circumstances of the consumer have to do with this exorbitant pricing? If the quality were measurable, quantified and consistent; MAYBE then I could label it a 'luxury product' and agree that the consumers demographic is a useful factor in arriving at fair pricing. But I think we both know the truth of that matter.

The pricing is ridiculous. Even at >€10 p/g. For indoor? Really? Knowing it costs less than a Euro p/g to produce.... Even if it's from a 'legit' source - You still think that price is fair? Without the over-head of running a coffeeshop? Outdoor costs even less to produce. Good outdoor growers take 40 POUNDS off a plant... You still want to pay over 10? We'll have to disagree on that one.

Furthermore that pricing is clearly and 100% not based on quality Just like the rest of Amsterdams pricing 'structure' (laughable). It's clearly based on nothing but trend and the knowldege that the demographic has lots of disposable income to waste on standard product with a ridiculous price-tag: precicely because the seller knows his consumers cannot (for the most part) tell the difference because they know that 90% of the consumer base has never even come into contact with anything other than commercial quality.
Well I guess it's important we distinguish between CS prices for Cali and prices from certain other sources, in the first place. The CS prices I've said several times are utter bullshit. And to be clear, I don't "want" to pay more than 10 a gram at any point..ever (hell even your 5 a gram threshold would be nice while we're at it), but I don't know how many times I have to scream this from the soapbox, not everyone gardens, has the means to do so, or is best mates with one that can supply them regularly, so getting quality weed that cheap (under 10 EUR/GBP/USD/CAD per g,) anywhere in the world that's not say the US, Canada or Spain is very rare outside of said circumstances. I've procured weed in quite a few countries at this point and I can tell you the offerings in most are of low quality and (relatively) high prices - as in often not even curated sinsemilla, let alone indoor. Or to put this another way in many other countries you can pay these prices (north of 10 per g) for quite awful weed. And even what's good in the UK, locally grown on the more 'open' market, goes for more than I pay for Cali for the record - at least for those again who don't garden or are close mates with some kind soul that does.

In Amsterdam even outside of the shops it's increasingly rarer to find anything worthwhile under ten a gram, even the nicer small batch bits that are around these days outside the shop fetch more than that, there are exceptions but they're becoming increasingly just that - exceptions, that's when you can even find small batches. So being relegated to coffeeshops, where most worthwhile stuff is north of 12 if it's even really worthwhile. I mean you've lambasted the rate I told you I get the cali for, but I've seen you pay the same (and even more) for far shittier weed from CS's when you've been here on visits and relegated to the same selection, so you actually have paid more than that.

Edit: also, you do have to consider the increased risk-factor aka "import tax", which actually does apply since it has be sent in smaller quantities at a time, with postage applied, etc. - that is a imho much more tangible cost-factor that deserves consideration, obviously not worth the coffeeshop markup, but the local markup (at least that I'm familiar with), isn't that much in the end.

Second edit: and finally, no it's really not just the name brand with the stuff that resembles what I get (e.g. Plug's selection) when there's no local produce of similar quality, regularly available or at a comparable price, that's what drives this.

When passionate smaller batch growers find a way to get their foothold back in the market, and churn out something of comparable quality - then the Cali bubble will burst quite quickly, until those who are a bit more fussy with their weed will pay more - whether it's the CS or non-CS rate for Cali. But nobody around here seems to be stepping up to the plate to do so, and thus we're stuck with a bunch of mid-grade sensi grown by drug-gangs.

I mean think about it, why do you think canal-side the most cynical coffeeshop ever, switched their trading habits, and inventory - because there's nothing exciting to buy these days locally, sad truth of it...

User avatar
OneHighMofo
Posts: 1627
Joined: Wed 25th Feb 2015 06:04 pm

Re: Black Star

Post by OneHighMofo » Tue 30th Oct 2018 01:18 pm

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote:
Tue 30th Oct 2018 12:15 pm
When passionate smaller batch growers find a way to get their foothold back in the market, and churn out something of comparable quality - then the Cali bubble will burst quite quickly, until those who are a bit more fussy with their weed will pay more - whether it's the CS or non-CS rate for Cali. But nobody around here seems to be stepping up to the plate to do so, and thus we're stuck with a bunch of mid-grade sensi grown by drug-gangs.

I mean think about it, why do you think canal-side the most cynical coffeeshop ever, switched their trading habits, and inventory - because there's nothing exciting to buy these days locally, sad truth of it...
Agreed, Indeed - and quite a sad tale.

And from what I hear - the same is becoming true in Californian dispensaries. I heard someone who's opinon I trust very much say recently on the question about Jungle Boys quality:
"It's good commercial weed". Says it all really.

User avatar
DjShaggy
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat 3rd Sep 2011 09:04 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Black Star

Post by DjShaggy » Wed 31st Oct 2018 07:23 am

Bag seeds matter
ignoring spellcheck since 1986

macky
Posts: 1574
Joined: Fri 14th Mar 2014 12:13 pm
Location: great white north

Re: Black Star

Post by macky » Wed 31st Oct 2018 12:44 pm

Cali or Canadian weed? They just caught big smuggling ring shipping 20 kilo,s a month over there :shock:

User avatar
OneHighMofo
Posts: 1627
Joined: Wed 25th Feb 2015 06:04 pm

Re: Black Star

Post by OneHighMofo » Thu 1st Nov 2018 10:18 am

macky wrote:
Wed 31st Oct 2018 12:44 pm
Cali or Canadian weed? They just caught big smuggling ring shipping 20 kilo,s a month over there :shock:
It's DEFINITELY Cali mate - says so on the menu :lol: :wink:

macky
Posts: 1574
Joined: Fri 14th Mar 2014 12:13 pm
Location: great white north

Re: Black Star

Post by macky » Thu 1st Nov 2018 10:55 am

OneHighMofo wrote:
Thu 1st Nov 2018 10:18 am
[quote=macky post_id=418153 time=<a href="tel:1540989874">1540989874</a> user_id=112449]
Cali or Canadian weed? They just caught big smuggling ring shipping 20 kilo,s a month over there :shock:
It's DEFINITELY Cali mate - says so on the menu :lol: :wink:
[/quote]
Needed that laugh thanks bud :lol:

User avatar
OneHighMofo
Posts: 1627
Joined: Wed 25th Feb 2015 06:04 pm

Re: Black Star

Post by OneHighMofo » Thu 1st Nov 2018 12:47 pm

macky wrote:
Thu 1st Nov 2018 10:55 am
OneHighMofo wrote:
Thu 1st Nov 2018 10:18 am
[quote=macky post_id=418153 time=<a href="tel:1540989874">1540989874</a> user_id=112449]
Cali or Canadian weed? They just caught big smuggling ring shipping 20 kilo,s a month over there :shock:
It's DEFINITELY Cali mate - says so on the menu :lol: :wink:
Needed that laugh thanks bud :lol:
[/quote]

Your comment made me realise something ... of all the 'californinan import' I've seen over the past twelve months. Even the stuff that comes in a tin with an 'offical' label: Not ONE example of that 'import' bud has come anywhere near the quality of even the WORST bud I've bought many many times quite literally from homeless/hippy/hard-to-tell dudes out in the open on Granville Street in downtown Vancouver. For less than $10CDN p/g.

User avatar
DeLekkersteNUGS16
Posts: 1079
Joined: Tue 2nd Jun 2015 08:49 pm

Re: Black Star

Post by DeLekkersteNUGS16 » Thu 1st Nov 2018 12:59 pm

OneHighMofo wrote:
Thu 1st Nov 2018 12:47 pm
macky wrote:
Thu 1st Nov 2018 10:55 am
OneHighMofo wrote:
Thu 1st Nov 2018 10:18 am
[quote=macky post_id=418153 time=<a href="tel:1540989874">1540989874</a> user_id=112449]
Cali or Canadian weed? They just caught big smuggling ring shipping 20 kilo,s a month over there :shock:
It's DEFINITELY Cali mate - says so on the menu :lol: :wink:
Needed that laugh thanks bud :lol:
Your comment made me realise something ... of all the 'californinan import' I've seen over the past twelve months. Even the stuff that comes in a tin with an 'offical' label: Not ONE example of that 'import' bud has come anywhere near the quality of even the WORST bud I've bought many many times quite literally from homeless/hippy/hard-to-tell dudes out in the open on Granville Street in downtown Vancouver. For less than $10CDN p/g.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: but tinned weed (whether true to its claimed geographic origin or not, spoiler alert: likely not) is always the worst, not sure what guy made that seem like a hip packaging for weed, but fuck them seriously! Also,just what are they trying to sell as import up there then? If it's that bad, something isn't right...that's assuming you aren't being hyperbolic...

User avatar
OneHighMofo
Posts: 1627
Joined: Wed 25th Feb 2015 06:04 pm

Re: Black Star

Post by OneHighMofo » Thu 1st Nov 2018 02:24 pm

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote:
Thu 1st Nov 2018 12:59 pm
Also,just what are they trying to sell as import up there then? If it's that bad, something isn't right...that's assuming you aren't being hyperbolic...
Dude I thought UK commericial quality was shite until I saw what most people are peddling as 'cali' over here.
Honestly mate the stuff I've seen rarely even looks the part nevermind tastes of anything.

I'm sure there's a decent bit about somewhere - but you are literally the only person I know that says the product they're buying is worth the money.

Post Reply

Return to “Coffeeshop Reviews”