The Plug (formerly Utopia)

Comments on specific shops. Use search to find the topic for a shop.

Rate The Plug (formerly Utopia)

I like The Plug
90%
I don't like The Plug
10%

Total votes: 269

Padge247

Re: Utopia

Post by Padge247 »

Quazer wrote:Simple solution would be to raise the legal entry age for coffeeshops from 18 to 25yrs during the school days. It's too late now though... :evil:
What has been suggested, is that it is not teenagers going into coffeeshops and buying bud during school hours, but them getting adults to buy it for them, as such the age increase wouldn't have the desired effect (well actually it mite, as I guess 'older brother' is often the guilty culprit and I guess they are generally going to be under 25).

TwoCanucks

Post by TwoCanucks »

So yer the guy...lol
Amsterdam dreaming.............
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

Padge247 wrote:
Quazer wrote:Simple solution would be to raise the legal entry age for coffeeshops from 18 to 25yrs during the school days. It's too late now though... :evil:
What has been suggested, is that it is not teenagers going into coffeeshops and buying bud during school hours, but them getting adults to buy it for them, as such the age increase wouldn't have the desired effect (well actually it mite, as I guess 'older brother' is often the guilty culprit and I guess they are generally going to be under 25).
May have been suggested, probably by unknowing stoners... way off the mark friend, so way off the mark.
It's not all about access by teens regardless whether they approach an adult or have one of their 18 yo friends buy... it's exposure in general, like smell for instance.
The initial target age were middle school, 8-12, then expanded considerably.
Sitting in class, I often smell the wafting aroma of cannabis and hash. THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS, for fucks sake... THIS!!! not to mention children walking past open shops, some with stoners sitting out front sunning themselves and getting toasted, or the smoke billowing out whenever the doors or windows are opened. THIS THIS THIS... oh my fuck why do some not understand?
For those who would use bars as an argument, there isn't a comparison, just isn't.
Lastly, it only takes one stoner in or around a coffee shop to be observed harassing kids as they go to/from school to start more shit, and it has happened.

Utopia can exist, however... without man.
... :mrgreen:

Edit - I would be remiss if I didn't mention the factions that are against cannabis culture in general will go to any lengths to close shops down.
Smith2

Post by Smith2 »

Why aren't bars a comparison? Because the smell of alcohol doesn't carry as far as that of cannabis smoke?
Padge247

Post by Padge247 »

I see, well that was my first assumption, but after reading through this thread people seemed to be suggesting that people smoking during their lunch breaks, in an around the school was the main problem that was trying to be addressed.

I guess if the smell is literally drifting into classrooms then that would suggests maybe some interference from the coffeeshop in the education (having never been in the situation I can't comment on how much of a distraction it is, but I certainly know I always tend to stop and have an extra sniff when I get a nose full of bud). However I am surprised that the smell would travel for over 100m, I can always smell a shop before I go in it, but normally I only smell it when I am within say 10m, maybe 25m at a push (this is off the top of my head, but there is no way I can smell one 100m away). So the only exposure would surely be on the way to school and the way home (I don't know about lunch time rules but I guess possibly then as well) ?

Well I get my suggestion does nothing there, but I am not sure closing the shops during school hours will do a great deal either, I mean trying to hide cannabis from kids in Amsterdam ? Not really going to work unless you completely banned it. I kind of get trying to stop consumption amongst youths, and how nearby shops selling during school hours does perhaps increase the ease of access (I still tend to think 21 age minimum and absolute zero tollerance style enforcement of age rules during school hours would be a better option), but I am pretty sceptical that just hiding the problem is the solution. I have always been quite surprised at the average age group in coffeeshops, tourists aside, the average demographic seems to be 30/40's to me (maybe it is the shops I smoke in, or maybe 18-19 years olds tend to buy and fly more often), where as if the presence during school hours was as corrupting as this legislation suggests, I would have thought as soon as kids were old enough they would be crowding into the shops.

In France, traditionally children drink wine from a young age (ok sometimes with added water, but still exposed to alcohol at a young age), yet traditionally (I say this because I read somewhere that France was now facing more and more alcoholism problems, the population as a whole is moving away from wine) there is relatively low alcoholism problems, especially compared to somewhere like the UK (not suggesting kids don't start drinking at a young age, but that maybe lack on a sensible introduction to alcohol is at least partly responsible for abuse). I only use the example, to demonstrate that I don't think exposure to something at a young age necessarily leads to later life abuse. I am not suggesting getting kids to smoke pot, and I appreciate there are other factors at work that my simplistic example ignores, but I think the point that the straightforward option isn't necessarily the most effective does.
banshee beat

Post by banshee beat »

Just clocked that 420 next year is a sunday! So regular hours for the big day!!!
Off is the new on
AmDamMan

Post by AmDamMan »

Smith2 wrote:Why aren't bars a comparison? Because the smell of alcohol doesn't carry as far as that of cannabis smoke?
This argument doesn't work, there are many smoker friendly bars and these are unaffected. The smell of cannabis will still travel just as far. I heard a while ago a couple of the affected shops were considering this route and start selling booze, exposing the kids to a much more dangerous drug. In short, it's a load of bollocks.

On topic of utopia, over the last couple of years it's quickly became my new favourite shop. The service is always friendly and the bud consistently good. Something which combined has become harder to find in the last few years.
I'm gutted it's eventually gonna be forced to close, along with some other shops with many good memories for me. In the short term, I can put up with the reduced opening hours, although I totally disagree with the logic behind it on the councils part. I will miss my morning spliff in the sun watching Amsterdam go by out the window as I tend to visit in the week, but will be there at 6 and carry on supporting the shop as long as it's possible.
Roo-Vee-Bo

Post by Roo-Vee-Bo »

banshee beat wrote:Just clocked that 420 next year is a sunday! So regular hours for the big day!!!
in 2020 it's going to be 420 for a month.

:D :) :shock: 8) :lol: :o :twisted: :wink: :mrgreen:
seouleast70

Post by seouleast70 »

Roo-Vee-Bo wrote:
banshee beat wrote:Just clocked that 420 next year is a sunday! So regular hours for the big day!!!
in 2020 it's going to be 420 for a month.

:D :) :shock: 8) :lol: :o :twisted: :wink: :mrgreen:
+ x 1,000,000
Not long now....
Smith2

Post by Smith2 »

Here at present, first coffee and smoke of the trip, as always. Ice Cream (not previously seen, at least by me, along with Caramello, 1g each, then WW 1/2g. Thanks once again to Ingi for the excellent atmosphere and coffee that means I always start off here. Such a shame it won't be possible as much next year because of some extremely silly legislation.

New menu pics on Dropbox, but I can't seem to do much to display them via the phone. Gutted to have missed the ice, but such is life.
qwr

Post by qwr »

Tried the champagne haze for 15€/g.

Not even in the same league as the citral for 13€/g.

Sadly it's not more on the menu.
seouleast70

Post by seouleast70 »

qwr wrote:Tried the champagne haze for 15€/g.

Sounds like they are getting ready to close for good and not just in keeping with the school hours. Terrible.
Not long now....
Smirks

Post by Smirks »

seouleast70 wrote:

Sounds like they are getting ready to close for good and not just in keeping with the school hours. Terrible.
Based on what? Have you heard something that they have decided to close or are you basing it on a bad batch = imminent closure.
seouleast70

Post by seouleast70 »

Smirks wrote:
seouleast70 wrote:

Based on what? Have you heard something that they have decided to close or are you basing it on a bad batch = imminent closure.
I get a feeling of sadness in some posts. Like they will miss being there entirely. Sad that a strain is no longer on a menu. Like downsizing....

Don't you? If not then for fuck sake liven the posts up a bit, eh?
Not long now....
voosh

Post by voosh »

seouleast70 wrote:I get a feeling of sadness in some posts. Like they will miss being there entirely. Sad that a strain is no longer on a menu. Like downsizing....

Don't you? If not then for fuck sake liven the posts up a bit, eh?
I think they just ran out of the citral and it wouldnt be back on the menu for a little while.