Rick's Cafe

Comments on specific shops. Use search to find the topic for a shop.

Rate Rick's Cafe

I like Rick's Cafe
85%
I don't like Rick's Cafe
15%

Total votes: 52

Lemming
Site Admin

Rick's Cafe

Post by Lemming »

ACD Page: Rick's Cafe

Please vote in the poll and click on PostReply to add a comment.
Last edited by Lemming on Fri 2nd May 2008 08:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hitonda_Obong

Rick's cafe has its attractions

Post by Hitonda_Obong »

Personally, I really like Rick's Cafe. BTW, I found out last time its named for the Humphrey Bogart character in Casablanca :-)
For me, the special think about Rick's is an aspect of the gear - they have great imported hash. There I have purchased Reb Leb, King Hassan Morrocan and Gold (Blonde) Leb. The Red Leb was the best I ever found in Amsterdam, IMO, but its not always in stock. Its my first choice there.

This is not a pre-weigh shop, the whole feeling is really "old school", if that makes sense. Another thing about Rick's is that it opens early. I've never been able to find a time when its closed :-)

For some people, maybe the atmosphere seems not so great - when you enter you have to go through the bar to the shop all the way at the narrow stairs in the back. The bar itself is narrow so if there are people at the bar drinking it can seem a little intimidating. Just politely push through to the very chill area in the back.

Anyway, they do serve alcohol so I wonder what will happen to them come April 1. Their cannabis product section is fully separated from the bar area so maybe they will be ok.

Every time I went there it seems like the same bud-tender is on duty. He must never sleep! Anyway, he is a nice enough guy, but not the talkable type. Also, he is prone to suddenly disappear from the dealer desk for 5-10 minutes for no obvious reason. Don't be pushy with him, just sense the flow and go with it. Have a brew while you are waiting.
sirphobose

Post by sirphobose »

didn't stay in the cafe itself just grabbed some gear from their of which 2 out of the three wasn't very good (white rhino and nepalese hash) and the budtender wasn't especially friendly got a bit of a buy and fuck off vibe :(
"Change down, man. Find your neutral space."
mrwurzal

Ricks...

Post by mrwurzal »

Ricks cafe - My base whenever i'm in the Dam...

100% Love this place, Prices are what to be expected for most C/S for drinks etc, if i am right in remembering, it was 4 Euro's for a large beer, and a lot cheaper in their daily happy hour.

The happy hour runs between 4-6 i think every day... Its a nice place to chill out, and close to Dam SQ and of course on the outskirts of the Red Lights, but you are outside that high prices tourist zone which is always a good thing!

My partner & I used this shop several times a day and i have used many times prior to that, its a little dark and if you like dingy, getting to look very rough around the egdes in there these days and really could do with a lick of paint or something, but after all the decor has been now ripped to bits i will go on to tell you what i think of ricks...

The entrance is not the most invited as you walk into ricks and even once inside, you can be made to sometimes feel a little unwelcome, as you are very unusually spoken to, but all the various staff are helpful if required to be.

On the second day of our trip my partner wasnt feeling too great, and straight away there was water brought to the table and some food, which was a really good of the,. we did pay for the food, but they were asking all the time how she was feeling... so 10/10 for thiss amazing effort.

The dealer i have seen in here for a few years running now, nice bloke dont say very much but will help you if you want the help.

Many people say to me they dont know how to approach this dealer, but i have never had any issues at all with him, he is and the cafe has very ye olde approach to serving both at the bar and at the dealer desk.

All this said, if you have never been to ricks, or are thinking about it, it is worth a trip, give it chance and believe me you will see what there is to like about ricks!!

I went in June (2007) and it was HOT HOT HOT there, very sticky, the people watching from the upstairs balcony wasnt great, due to the heat, it was roasting, so we mainly during this trip sat on the seats outside next to the canal.... people watching whilst enjoying some of the greatest memories of all trips that have occured in Amsterdam and of course, where my heart and soul is, Ricks Cafe, Amsterdam...

Dan
AL

Post by AL »

yeh like ricks as very close to my accomodation :wink: allways friendly staff(maybe as we pop in everyday when there :roll: :roll: :) ) as to closing times its around 1am,ish,we were looking for skins 1 time and blo at yon time noticed ricks was putting chairs etc back inside but even though they were closing up 4 the nite still made time too sort us out too get us through the night,RESPECT.............as most c/s would in same situ; would not entertain you :x ,GREAT WEE C/S WELL WORTH A VISIT..............peace.....................................
need a spliff......
craggy

Post by craggy »

Rick's was great when I was over this last week. My mate drinks more than smokes, so we needed a smoker friendly pub. Rick's was great in that respect. The booth's at the back are good and there is always someone smoking in there it seems. Barmaid's are not too bad on the eye as well. Sure some drinks are expensive, but when I was in on Friday a lot of people were coming in to buy weed, so it must have something that the coffeeshop next door doesn't to attract those folks.
tLL

Post by tLL »

I'm undecided on Ricks Cafe, It seemed like a nice friendly place when I was there, the guy serving was cool and helpful, but the gram of Top44 I got has to be one of the worst I've ever smoked.

It tasted fine and the buzz was great at first, but after about 20 minuets it changed and was very unpleasant. I was shaking pretty bad, was nauseous and had to lie down. I tried some of the same baggie again a few days later in a smaller amount but had very similar effects.

This may have just been a reaction I had to that particular strain and so I'm not marking Ricks down.
bishy69

Post by bishy69 »

people this place wasn't open in january can anyone tell me if its open again as im off out in 3 weeks
DC

Post by DC »

Yep, it's open.
Dave J

Post by Dave J »

Depending on who has been going on the trip this used to be 1 of our starters. Mainly as a place to meet at the start of the evening of due to some in the group prefering to be happy hour hopping slags!.

Never bought from here, but it does seem to be a decent place to meet (along with Hill Street Blues) and have a first smoke of the evening before going to hunt down some food.

As they either dont sell the cannabis or beer any longer I guess things might not feel the same any more.
Themindwanders

Post by Themindwanders »

:)

I Like this place, it has decent hash and a pretty good atmosphere. However I must admit my favourite thing to do these days if buy weed elsewhere and smoke it in the bar upstairs - the best part of the place!
clunk

Post by clunk »

we wasted ourselfs on a saturday night here pretty cool sitting outside by the water.... smoke from ricks cs and next door is the bar so you can have a drink aswell ....DONT TAKE YOUR DRINK INTO THE COFFE SHOP, THEY GET A BIT EXITED i did buy a tshirt from herer though
P@RÁNOID

Post by P@RÁNOID »

Also if ricks is packed outside you can sit next door smoking your weed outside rock planet with a beer.
high high 20 minutes in the sky
the happy hacker

Post by the happy hacker »

the very first coffee shop i visited 17 years ago was a great place for a smoke and a beer ah those were the daze 8)
Boognish............
happydaze777

Post by happydaze777 »

I too loved this place for the fact you can drink a large beer and smoke. The upstairs windows are fab for people watching! Went in there last month to be told no smoking. I asked to smoke just a pure joint but the bar lady was having non of it! Always seemed to me like the place where the rules didn't really count, so was shocked tbh...