Boerejongens Centre (formerly Stix)

Comments on specific shops. Use search to find the topic for a shop.

Rate Boerejongens Centre (formerly Stix)

I like Stix
88%
I don't like Stix.
12%

Total votes: 101

FODSmith

Re: Boerejongens Centre (formerly Stix)

Post by FODSmith »

OneHighMofo wrote: Fri 28th Sep 2018 09:26 amWon’t be shopping there anymore.
I'm torn. I go to the Dam for the hash choice, and Boerejongens has always been a part of that. I salve my conscience by saying that I like some of their offerings and hate their marketing, which I've been banging on about for a while.

My attitude towards everything in Amsterdam has always been 'keep your eye on what's good, ignore the shit', which applies to a lot more than smoking. Should I have swerved 1e Hulp for starting the whole moonrock craze, and encouraging their fanboys and girls? Should I ignore every shop selling Cali weed? I'm running out of places to go, and wondering whether it's all worth it.

OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

FODSmith wrote: Fri 28th Sep 2018 09:47 am which I've been banging on about for a while.
You have - and you were right. It's a tricky one. As consumers we should vote with our feet. It's the only power a consumer has.
Personally I'm boycotting Boerejongens because their marketing department is staffed by people with little to no experience in customer relations - or a better way to put it: people who think that outright lies are an acceptable strategy in dealing with complaints. They have an attitude problem akin to most Dutch establishments; "if you don't like it 'fuck off'". Which is what I'm doing.

Interestingly I've discovered that while they hold this attitude - they really don't like being taken to task about it and get all pissy and defensive. AWW diddums. Did the bad man say nasty things?
FODSmith

Post by FODSmith »

Cute tit-bit: as part of their brand image, Boerejongens used to display the quote 'The root of education is bitter, but the fruits are sweet', and attribute it to Aristotle.

This is pretentious, and largely meaningless in a coffeeshop, but more to the point, it's not in Aristotle's works, even if it's all over the internet. I pointed this out on this forum. It was never acknowledged, but if you look at the sign now, the quote is attributed to 'Professor Harvest'. Coincidence? I doubt it, though I was stunned that they'd taken any notice (the internet has filled the world with false quotations, though most are attributed to Einstein or Twain).

Except, although I was right, I was wrong. Even though the words aren't in anything Aristotle wrote, the phrase is attributed to him by Diogenes Laertius. Now that writer lived some 500 years later, and you know what anecdotes are like, so it's quite likely to be wrong, but it's not the modern invention I thought it was.

So, for future generations, that's why the motto looks the way it does in the shop.
monster420

Post by monster420 »

Last edited by monster420 on Sat 29th Sep 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

FODSmith wrote: Fri 28th Sep 2018 11:05 am Cute tit-bit: as part of their brand image, Boerejongens used to display the quote 'The root of education is bitter, but the fruits are sweet', and attribute it to Aristotle.

This is pretentious, and largely meaningless in a coffeeshop, but more to the point, it's not in Aristotle's works, even if it's all over the internet. I pointed this out on this forum. It was never acknowledged, but if you look at the sign now, the quote is attributed to 'Professor Harvest'. Coincidence? I doubt it, though I was stunned that they'd taken any notice (the internet has filled the world with false quotations, though most are attributed to Einstein or Twain).

Except, although I was right, I was wrong. Even though the words aren't in anything Aristotle wrote, the phrase is attributed to him by Diogenes Laertius. Now that writer lived some 500 years later, and you know what anecdotes are like, so it's quite likely to be wrong, but it's not the modern invention I thought it was.

So, for future generations, that's why the motto looks the way it does in the shop.
Highly satisfying reading.
Yes. It's all a bit 'my first marketing campaign'...
Criminals in 'can't really be arsed' shocker. In other news; the world keeps turning.
monster420

Post by monster420 »

OneHighMofo wrote: Fri 28th Sep 2018 12:12 pm
FODSmith wrote: Fri 28th Sep 2018 11:05 am Cute tit-bit: as part of their brand image, Boerejongens used to display the quote 'The root of education is bitter, but the fruits are sweet', and attribute it to Aristotle.

Highly satisfying reading.
Yes. It's all a bit 'my first marketing campaign'...
Criminals in 'can't really be arsed' shocker. In other news; the world keeps turning.
Last edited by monster420 on Sat 29th Sep 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WLow

Post by WLow »

It's nothing new, it's a chain that pulls kilos for years now.

The name game on the strains has not always been that strong, they actually were crossing cuts.
White Choco is a real cut, the AK Og they had was genuine too.

Dutch people love it because it's cheaper, when you ask a 20 year old dutch guy where to go for weed he tells you about boer.
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

FODSmith wrote: Fri 28th Sep 2018 11:05 am tit-bit
Silly me I've been getting my information in tidbits and snippets all this time, however these tit bits sound quite intriguing, where might I find them? De Wallen?
FODSmith

Post by FODSmith »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Sat 29th Sep 2018 09:16 amSilly me I've been getting my information in tidbits and snippets all this time, however these tit bits sound quite intriguing, where might I find them? De Wallen?
I suggest the dictionary. You'll find that both spellings have been in use since the 17th century.
no_way

Post by no_way »

SSH block good as usually but I-m starting to hate the vibe down there....all budtenders are acting like wannabes (and a lot of them just repeat like a machine what somebody else told him/her to say) and what make me mad every time is that they like to `play` with changes (but this is typical in town unfortunately)
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Over the last week I had the Red Velvet Cake, the Brownie and several of their more limited edition tarlettes. They are all 0.33g so won't kill you, but my god do they taste amazing and the packaging etc. is very fancy. Boerejongens really killing the old space cake stereotype.
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Soithpaw22

Post by Soithpaw22 »

RoMoney wrote: Fri 28th Dec 2018 09:22 am Over the last week I had the Red Velvet Cake, the Brownie and several of their more limited edition tarlettes. They are all 0.33g so won't kill you, but my god do they taste amazing and the packaging etc. is very fancy. Boerejongens really killing the old space cake stereotype.
I would imagine there was next to no effect with there only being 0.33 grams In the cakes ?
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Soithpaw22 wrote: Tue 15th Jan 2019 01:27 pm
RoMoney wrote: Fri 28th Dec 2018 09:22 am Over the last week I had the Red Velvet Cake, the Brownie and several of their more limited edition tarlettes. They are all 0.33g so won't kill you, but my god do they taste amazing and the packaging etc. is very fancy. Boerejongens really killing the old space cake stereotype.
I would imagine there was next to no effect with there only being 0.33 grams In the cakes ?
You get a buzz off them but they are not very strong, it also depends how much you usually consume.
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Skull_Kid1888

Post by Skull_Kid1888 »

But isn't the box something to behold? Easy Times have pretty good cakes if you make sure that the guy knows your not pissing about and need something strong. Also Flower Powers bon bon, both €10 and far better than Paradox's offering.
It's all about THC for me.
smokini

Post by smokini »

I had a rather bad experience a Boerejongens last year. I registered for the smoker session when they were relatively new and still took place in the Centre Shop. One day before the smoke session should took place, it was cancelled due to the guy who runs it being ill.
I was a bit sad, but they offered me and my companion to still come the shop. We would get 1 Gramm of weed of our choice, a free drink and the smoking area would be reserved for us, to chill out there. Very nice of them, i thought.

When we arrived at Boerejongens next day, the budtender did not know what we were talking about so he talked to manager. The manager was very annoyed by our request and denied that we got offered any of the beforementioned compensations. She then said "Show me those email, to proof we were not lying to get free weed. After she read the email she agreed to give me and my girlfriend one gram of the cheepested weed they had, despite the email clearly stating we could choose the strain we want. We then had a another discussion whether both of us get the weed or only of us (we both got the email). In the end, after showing both emails, and arguing another five minutes after that, she said something to her budtender which we couldnt hear and the budtender then gave us our weed. The manager disappeared without another word.

It was a very akward experience as she constantly made us feel we were begging for free weed. I did not demanded it, they offered it to me- If they would just have cancelled the smoking session, and said sorry that would have been totally fine with me, since the smoke session is free anway.

And of course the smoking area wasnt reserved of us, but instead full of litter, and packed with a group smoking cigarettes the whole time. We quickly left the shop after that.