Katsu

Comments on specific shops. Use search to find the topic for a shop.

do you like coffeeshop katsu?

i like it
92%
i don't like it
8%

Total votes: 254

FODSmith

Re: Katsu

Post by FODSmith »

There's probably an entire thread in this. Underweighting is a serious accusation, because it's a systematic pisstake on the part of a shop. And if they do it carefully and don't get too greedy, they can get away with it, generally speaking.

But how often does it happen, at any shop? I can't say with any certainty, and I doubt many can, unless they regularly carry your scales with you and nip off somewhere discreet to check every time they buy. Some places get a rep for it, but how much of it is real, and how much trust do you put in a random reviewer, who may be a tad paranoid, or bad at estimating, or have some other grudge, or may even be working for a competitor?

Paradoxically the prepackaging at Katsu reassures me: lots of people who live in Amsterdam go there, so unless they've got two sets of bags, you're getting exactly what a local would get. And lots of locals are B&F types, ideally placed to check what they're getting when they go home. I've always found they're a basically honest shop, if you ask about what's good or explain what tastes you're after, and though I haven't been there for maybe about a year, it's been like that since I rediscovered the Dam in 2012 or so. So I'm hoping for some recent reports in the expectation that it's basically one of the better places (which isn't to say you might never be disappointed with a purchase, but in my experience not massively).

Billyjoe

Post by Billyjoe »

Hello dear fellas,

first of all I doubt Katsu is cheating, they are one among so little that are still there, I really think that is about wet weed, the weight can drastically change, let’s see if haschich buyers had the same experience.

About the 5 grs minimum it’s just busllshit, last summer I went to Katsu, got 20 euro of Paroc, then the blond woman advised me about their marocan haschich at 20 euro/4 grs, then I said naively that it would be over the 5 grs rule and she told me that it’s not a problem at all.

I was not surprised because in the morning I went to Dampkring, ordered 5 grs of super tbizla then asked if I could take 5 grs more of another hash, it was 14 euro/grs, can not remember, I think it was mush something, the guy told me “if you don’t stay in the coffee shop, that is no problem at all”.

Also same morning I was in Kandinsky and bought 5 grs of Nepalese hash, then after sitting ask for 5 grs of weed, no problem at all.

If you think a bit, what can prove the bartenders wrong when no pass is needed ? Could any authorities blame them for not remembering each customers that maybe came twice ? Of course not and it’s also in the coffeeshop interest, they want to sell as much as possible.
Marok21

Post by Marok21 »

Billyjoe wrote: Sun 28th Oct 2018 10:37 pm first of all I doubt Katsu is cheating, they are one among so many that are still there, I really think that is about wet weed, the weight can drastically change, let’s see if haschich buyers had the same experience.
I dont think that they are cheating, too... like told before wet weed that dries in the baggy could be the reason for that. It would be stupid to rip off the customers for only a little bit more profit and get a very bad reputation... on the other hand I can´t say it for 100% and there are also coffeeshops that rip off but I don´t have that feeling with Katsu.
Billyjoe wrote: Sun 28th Oct 2018 10:37 pm About the 5 grs minimum it’s just busllshit, last summer I went to Katsu, got 20 euro of Paroc, then the blond woman advised me about their marocan haschich at 20 euro/4 grs, then I said naively that it would be over the 5 grs rule and told me that it’s not a problem at all.
Yeah there are shops that sell more than 5g and there are also shops and budtenders that really sell not more than 5 gram each person. In other cities of the NL they look much more on that 5 gram rule... in Amsterdam it´s a bit more chilled like you said :mrgreen: If I would own a coffeeshop I wouldn´t sell more than 5 gram because why should i risk to loose my license? A coffeeshop is like a money making mashine also without selling more than 5 gram each person especially in Amsterdam.
Billyjoe wrote: Sun 28th Oct 2018 10:37 pm If you think a bit, what can prove the bartenders wrong when no pass is needed ? Could any authorities blame them for not remembering each customers that maybe come twice ?

Good question... personaly I don´t think that the budtenders can get trouble if they didn´t remember a person but that don´t mean that the police or later the court think like we do... well there was for example a coffeeshop that got real trouble because on a routine inspection by the police there was found a bit of cocain in the bag of a customer :shock: also stupid how should the coffeeshop know that a customer has hard drugs with him :wtf:
Billyjoe

Re: Kats

Post by Billyjoe »

The thing is, how could anyone prove that they sold more than 5grs to the same person if no wiet pass ?

Not anyone, being from the government, if any agent like that ever existed, could prove it ?

Because only maybe the cameras could prove it, but the budtender could easily say that he can not efficiently remember, thus filter, when he has 100 customers an hour...

Also cameras are not proof at all, so when the primary goal of a coffeeshop is to sell as much as possible...
Billyjoe

Post by Billyjoe »

Cocaine is another matter.
Billyjoe

Post by Billyjoe »

Billyjoe wrote: Sun 28th Oct 2018 10:37 pm About the 5 grs minimum it’s just busllshit, last summer I went to Katsu, got 20 euro of Paroc, then the blond woman advised me about their marocan haschich at 20 euro/4 grs, then I said naively that it would be over the 5 grs rule and told me that it’s not a problem at all.
Yeah there are shops that sell more than 5g and there are also shops and budtenders that really sell not more than 5 gram each person. In other cities of the NL they look much more on that 5 gram rule... in Amsterdam it´s a bit more chilled like you said :mrgreen: If I would own a coffeeshop I wouldn´t sell more than 5 gram because why should i risk to loose my license? A coffeeshop is like a money making mashine also without selling more than 5 gram each person especially in Amsterdam.

Yes I do agree that in another cities, especially at the border, it’s in my experience impossible to buy more than 5grs, because of the wiet pass I guess, if any authority would control, it would be too easy to spot, I went to Venlo, to “nobody’s place” coffeeshop, their limit is 4 grs, my selection was in total at 4.1grs and they said no, I can not not, 4grs max.
GanjaGod

Post by GanjaGod »

DjShaggy wrote: Sun 28th Oct 2018 02:43 pm
GanjaGod wrote: Sat 27th Oct 2018 11:53 am
no_way wrote: Thu 18th Oct 2018 06:08 am just found this `shocking` feedback on google
`Got ten grams here when I weighed it at home came in at 8.7 g all the deals are under weight by 0.1-0.2 if you buy ten you end up losing 1.3 g , complete rip off no morals shop avoid~

I really hope Katsu will not become just a normal fkn A`Dam coffeeshop, but in my opinion in the last 5-6 years it really looks like they are triyng to become just a standard centrum CS, based on staff rudeness and underweight deals :(

They pack the weed when its still a bit wet, the moment you buy it its dried to the bone and obv a bit lighter in weight
That’s right, weed dries really well in plastic bags :lol:
not when the bag is sealed propely, but most times the bags are slightly ''open'' not well pressed on the zipline.
Jesscass

Post by Jesscass »

December, 2018:

Nothing interesting on the menu but sat down for a couple of beverages and having a bite nearby.

@Prattlers

I'm about those members here unashamedly talking about how much they supposedly buy at coffeeshops. Out of touch with the real world? If that really is the case why you don't keep that to yourselves? I think some might even post about that with good
intention so others can profit, too. Though this is a public forum!
Keyword public here.
This means authorities and fuck knows who else is reading as well.
Instead of that you selfishly report about stuff as devil-may-care is your agenda.
I think you guys spend too much time in front of a computer or what ever device and badly need a reality check. Are you so used to this online crap that you think this forum is a secret place? Oh my.
Personally I'm from an age where you talked about such stuff eye to eye with people you trust and not everyone and his dog.
I could go into detail myself about that topic but I won't(and generally only speak about legal things and keep the rest dead sure to myself as the internet no matter
where isn't the right place for such informations so others as for example NetworkingCouple spring to mind certainly whine about such behaviour as they seemingly don't like to think for theirselves and prefer being passive. Again, no insider here and at best just trying to
encourage people to think for theirselves. ) but really can say that no one of you touched that topic at all and I'm pissing myself laughing if people really buy bigger amounts at coffeeshops(no matter if with discount or not).
E.g.: Noticed some seedy activity going on in town this year(lets say offering illegal and sought-after products) as well and on the previous two trips checked back on that but I'd never post about such stuff online(which I still find unbelievable and also approached them on that to be sure).
This has nothing to do with me not wanting others to have fun but to protect the innocent people involved offering stuff or running a risky business.
Personally in that case I find that quite shameless and not worth the trouble but as long as nobody gets hurt it is not my business so live and let live, right(Note: I don't use said wares they offer but still it is all about live and let live while not breathing
a word in public)?
Same goes for coffeeshops even though I think they're outdated big time as said many times before ; though.
I remember a time on here when minors opened up threads asking how to get served at a coffeeshop nonetheless. I suggest you give them some hints. Point taken(hint: I'm not about 'I don't care, live for the moment')?
So please act responsible!
Totally look down on you.
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

New menu for Katsu dated February 19, 2019. Thanks to Stan.

http://www.coffeeshopmenus.org/Katsu/Menus/Katsu.html

Enjoy
FlyByNite
GanjaGod

Post by GanjaGod »

Had the parvatti cream, it was fucking horrible, the hash was cut with something🤮
Marok21

Post by Marok21 »

GanjaGod wrote: Sun 24th Feb 2019 09:46 am Had the parvatti cream, it was fucking horrible, the hash was cut with something
That sounds bad :evil: :? How did you notice that it was cut? taste... black smoke?

I remember a post from CC about their Amnesia Hia Hash which was pretty awful, too :? While some of their hashes
like their Choco Maroc was pretty good to me. Hopefully only a bad batch... but they must tried it themselves... I can´t understand why a well known coffeeshop sell such crap...
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Marok21 wrote: Sun 24th Feb 2019 09:56 pm I can´t understand why a well known coffeeshop sell such crap...
Fully agreed, had several examples of bad smoke from there, the Hia (although no amnesia IWRC), trizulu and others that ranged from bad to horrible... Then again, the triple zero and some other bit we had last time we visited were very nice, so more of a hit and miss shop nowadays than the sure bet it once was for a solid selection of imports and consistent good or at least fair quality (mostly when it comes to hash though).

CC
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

To be honest I had never been here, so I popped in the other night, there was quite a few people in so I grabbed a menu and waited as others got served. Nothing on the menu shouted out at me and the bud tenders were taking ages (which is ridiculous since half the job is already done for them) so I voted with my feet and left. The atmosphere inside did feel nice and the decor is bright and colourful so I will probably be back at some point.
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

I first went there in 2007 and always remembered it as the Coffeeshop with a Verdamper (it was only last year I saw Verdampers in other coffeeshops) and the inventor of it Everett hangs out there sometimes.

Katsu has been mentioned on the Hash Church podcast a few times one in particular when they were recalling the Cannabis Cups of the 90s... and it was interesting hearing the history, apparently it was one of the first coffeeshops in the 90s pushing the envelope with hazes (along with the more widely publicised Greenhouse).
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Best Nepali I've ever had was at Katsu, a very certain batch of their Tri-Sulu, because every reviewer since has slammed it as utter garbage, alas...

They also used to have some great classic Marocs for a fair price but it seems their once laud-worthy hash stock has been compromised with tainted wares.

Also have decent scraps of bud here and there. Nice front seating/terrace and nice decor and ambiance inside as well. All in all, at least a solid hangout shop, if you stop by on the right day (i.e. not too crowded).