Leidseplein (Leiden)

Comments on specific shops. Use search to find the topic for a shop.

Rate Leidseplein

I like Leidseplein
100%
I don't like Leidseplein
No votes

Total votes: 7

hippy_man99

Leidseplein (Leiden)

Post by hippy_man99 »

ACD Page: Leidseplein

I thought I'd throw in some "off the beaten track" shops in here to veer away from the central Amsterdam area... This is a lovely little coffeeshop smack dab in the middle of Leiden. (Approx. Half an hour outside of Amsterdam... take the train thats going to rotterdam or Den Haag...they all stop in Leiden)

For those who don't know, Leiden is what some call a smaller version of Amsterdam, at least in the way it looks... all the canals and narrow streets with tall crooked buildings. It has quite a large student population from the University and theres quite a few bars and maybe 10-11 coffeshops in the town. (takes a little wandering but you can find them)

Leidseplein is a quaint little shop close to the Pieterskerk (the big church by the university.) I enjoy it because of the ample light streaming in through the windows, the lively people who go there, and the overall atmosphere. The prices are relatively cheap, usually approx. 7 euro per gram and they have a wide variety. I'd suggest the Bio Northern lights, as well as the shiva, both are quite a beauty.

It's also one of the few coffeeshops in Leiden which will let you sit and smoke inside... a number of them are just stop and go...

The only downside I can think of, (aside from leiden's ridiculous rule on not opening before 4 PM...) is that the place is far too small. Only 2 booth tables and some counter space and it gets busy.

Plus Leiden is a wonderful city to wander around in. it's small enough to travel the whole of it within a few hours. There are also a number of fun and quirky museums and bars you can chill out at.

If you are taking a day trip outside of Amsterdam, heading through to Rotterdam, I'd say stop by and have a look... There are a number of other shops in town and I'll write a review on them as well later on.

peace,
hippy

hippy_man99

Post by hippy_man99 »

Finally got a nice picture for the Sign
Leidseplein coffeeshop in Leiden... the best in the country in my humble opinion... 15 months on and still the best

peace

NedFlanders

Post by NedFlanders »

hello hippyman
i will probably soon be in leieden for some days. could you pleas tell something about the actual menu of the leidseplein. do have a special recommendation?
Pierre von Mondragon

Re: Leidseplein (Leiden)

Post by Pierre von Mondragon »

This placeis the bomb, had Silver Haze, Cheese and Sour Deisel here last month, and Manali as well, always excellent, plus a good vibe location.

This is soon to become my local...
ed the head
Location: New Amsterdam of my mind and of my making. Trips:3, Haj:14

Post by ed the head »

hippy_man99 wrote:ACD Page: Leidseplein

... This is a lovely little coffeeshop smack dab in the middle of Leiden.
...Leiden is what some call a smaller version of Amsterdam, ... all the canals and narrow streets with tall crooked buildings. It has quite a large student population from the University and theres quite a few bars and maybe 10-11(5?) coffeshops in the town.
... rule on not opening before 4 PM..5PM. ..
... Leiden is a wonderful city to wander around in. it's small enough to travel the whole of it within a few hours. There are also a number of fun and quirky museums and bars you can chill out at.

peace,
hippy
Agreed Leiden is a fantastic town, great summary and endorsement.
In 2015, the CS all opened at 5 PM :shock: This took some adjustment.
I didn't find that there was a marked difference in cost as compared to Amsterdam. At best 2-3 E per gram. Quality was excellent.
He who tries to shine dims his own light
macky

Post by macky »

Was there last week, big shopping area same old shit :D Suggest you you do Lieden loop ,great walking tour of old parts and buildings. Roll some joints lovely walk ,good resteronts. Walked in to small local bar with 4 women ,freaked the locals out. Where are you guys from? surprised bartender asked. Soon as we said Canada ,whole place broke out big hello and welcome :D Had very nice day out ,plus we seen tulip fields on train ride. Still think for short train ride for different weed ,Harlems where it's at :D If you had a bike would even be better.
Mr Incognito

Post by Mr Incognito »

Agreed - this was the best coffeeshop I spent time in when I was in Leiden (see my "Mr Incognito Goes Off Piste" trip report). I got better gear elsewhere (Le Palais, highly recommended), but this is a cracking spot for a sit with a spliff.

And just to confirm, it definitely didn't open until 5 pm in March. Same for all the coffeeshops in Leiden that I went to. But there are some fantastic museums, boat trips and walks round the town if you are into all that.
Pierre von Mondragon

Candy and Sweet Kushes nice, Manali excellent, Charas and Tbisla also good, worst quality stuff was alright, NYD smelt nicer than it hit, but still...

As of last fortnight.
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Yesterday -

Was in Leiden with the missus so I stopped in.

Line was forming rapidly within 5 minutes before opening (moreso than HS last time), good sign. I had heard good things on here about their Menali Cream so that was my intended purchase, plus maybe a cheeky bag of some flower, if anything jumped out at me.

Looked at three different kushes. The Sweet Kush & Kandy Kush, 11.50 per gram, no smell pass. Kosher Kush 12.50 per gram, a faint sweet smell, better than the previous two, but still bust – pass again.

Made the mistake of ordering the Menali Cream without inspecting due to previous reviews on here. 12 euro one gram. They do prebags here.

Took my purchase with me to the one of the few booth tables, and rolled up some of my actual weed for a to-go jointje and inspected the charas. Looked more like a mediocre and not-so-fresh Nepali hash rather than a top-grade Indian charas. Becomes malleable with some handling but feels "stale" at room temp, i.e. snaps if bent quickly. When smoked later the hash tasted better than expected, and offered a nice buzz but when cleaning the ash out of the bong bowl I noticed that there was "sparkling" bits within the ash (little specks of sheen) and that was certainly cause for concern in my book!

The place itself was ok, very small – nothing unique to win it any special ambience points in my book. Hell I thought HS was more unique because of their watercooler if anything ha...

Can't think of any remotely safe to consume thing it could be so it's on standby to be thrown out and will almost assuredly not be being smoked by me. Any ideas what it could be anyone, maybe OHMF? or maybe someone well-versed in import hash? Oh Kingbee, Kingbee where art thou, my thirst for hash knowledge hath dry commeth...

TL;DR – unimpressive, and maybe contaminated gear, go to High Society instead!
Pierre von Mondragon

I was probably a bit over enthusiastic in retrospect, I've not been much recently. Manali was better the first than second time, Le Palais Double Zero is my favoured budget option these days in town...
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Pierre von Mondragon wrote:I was probably a bit over enthusiastic in retrospect, I've not been much recently. Manali was better the first than second time, Le Palais Double Zero is my favoured budget option these days in town...
Do you live in Leiden then?
Pierre von Mondragon

Yeah, uni innit! A lovely wee town, smallest place I've stayed, am enjoying it, probably need to get a job next year though...
Pierre von Mondragon

Some nice Peppermint Kush in at the moment...
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

I would kill to eat dinner at Sumatra in Leiden right now. Best Indonesian food on the planet!

Leiden loop was really nice. Good walking town and University. Beautiful windmills all around town. Overall great scene.

Wife and I stayed a couple days there over Easter last year.