Cell Phone

Anything else.

Moderator: Balou

strawberrysoul

Cell Phone

Post by strawberrysoul »

So I called Sprint an my brand new Evo 3D does not work in Amsterdam.. :x
So i been searching on here and on the internet and it looks like i may have to buy a pre-paid phone maybe a vodafone and then buy a sim with internet.. it looks like i may have to spend at least 100 euro..
does this sound right or is there a better (cheaper) option

Also... My phone had a wi-fi thing .. will it work there? i can connect at home or at the airport so i dont see why i cant use the wifi of say .. a shop or just random open wifi i may find there.. ?? am i right or wrong ?

thanks folks

Balou

Re: Cell Phone

Post by Balou »

Most Sprint & Verizon phones don't work outside North America because they use different bands. You can buy an unlocked GSM phone before you leave, should be cheaper. When you arrive just buy the sim card from Vodafone.

Yes you will still be able to use your phone on wifi. I usually set my US phone to airplane mode and leave the wifi on, never had any problems.

Peace
Are you stoned? Like a gravel road bitch, like a gravel road!
cattales1960

Post by cattales1960 »

I thought my droid would work in europe and it did not. but dont buy a phone here. get over there and go to a phone shop (they are everywhere) and you can buy a phone for 25 Euro and the sim for 20 and that gives you alot of hours. Thats what I did.
I need a miracle everyday
Marco

Post by Marco »

A phone with decent internet functionality will cost you more than 100, but the wifi will work just fine.
strawberrysoul

Post by strawberrysoul »

The main reason I want the phone is so I can stay connected to this site for the T&T's and Facebook..loads of friends want an up to date account on my trip...lol they seem to forget I'm useless high lol but maybe I'll find something that won't leave me in a daze.
redeyezman

Post by redeyezman »

Have you considered jail breaking an iPhone/iPod/iPad?

Things to remeber:
US Courts ruled it legal.
This "amazing" technology is 20 years old, and modifications are easy, safe, and stable. (**Theory/programing, NOT hardware dont start flamewar **Reminder: Apple=certified UNIX which is what I'm saying is old theory/programming.))

If you go this route you solve the following issues:

International Wi-Fi works anywhere & everywhere. (Free/hotel Internet is enough for smoke trips)

GPS Apps w/no internet connection required. **The way this works is that the maps are downloaded FIRST, then access your phones GPS and lays on top of the map **IT WILL NOT FIND YOU, YOU HAVE TO TAKE 5 MINUTES AHEAD TO PLAN AND DOWNLOAD MAPS IN YOUR HOMELAND.** i got all A-dam maps (like 3) and ones for the rest of the cities i visited.

**CURRENT OWNERS**
>Interested? Buy the app citymap2go
>Download all the maps you want
>Pull the SIM card from your phone (ATT only sorry Verizon?..i have att)
>Do the same thing described as above, no jailbreak/mod requried
>Turn on wifi when you need and have fun using accurate gps in A-dam using citymap2go APP!

Not an advertiser! I'm bias because this is what I own, used in a-dam, and it was easy! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Shells sink. Dreams float.
Balou

Post by Balou »

That's a bit much IMO for a week in the Dam. Besides she has a phone just with the wrong bands.

SS, if you do want a smartphone to use on your trip buy it before you leave. I have a unlocked Blackberry that's a couple of years old that I use abroad. It cost me $50 on eBay.

Peace
USbongLord

Post by USbongLord »

my iphone 4 works fine in adam
rockin into the night
2rollingstoned

Post by 2rollingstoned »

My verizon wireless service is not working here but the internet still works on my smart phone :) So no phone calls but I can get on the net! I have my laptop to stay connected here tho its what I use and don't even turn the phone on much!
None but ourselves can free our minds - Bob Marley
Marco

Post by Marco »

2rollingstoned wrote:My verizon wireless service is not working here but the internet still works on my smart phone :) So no phone calls but I can get on the net! I have my laptop to stay connected here tho its what I use and don't even turn the phone on much!
If you are using anything but wifi, you may return home with a massive data usage bill.
Balou

Post by Balou »

Marco wrote:
2rollingstoned wrote:My verizon wireless service is not working here but the internet still works on my smart phone :) So no phone calls but I can get on the net! I have my laptop to stay connected here tho its what I use and don't even turn the phone on much!
If you are using anything but wifi, you may return home with a massive data usage bill.
Been there, done that and bought the t-shirt! You might want to look into what the charges are or be prepared for a rude awakening next month.

Peace
DazedandConfusedinOR

Post by DazedandConfusedinOR »

Why don't you just get a pre-paid data plan, say like 200MB or something. They have T-Mobile over there also, but you would need an unlocked GSM phone. Also, you can do your updates from coffeeshops or Bagels & Beans (they have them everywhere and they offer free WIFI). Same goes for McD's.
strawberrysoul

Post by strawberrysoul »

yeah thats my plan im just gonna use the free wifi and keep my phone in airplane mode like Balou said ... sorted :)
cattales1960

Post by cattales1960 »

Marco wrote:
thats what verizon told me so we brought our notebook along.. easy storage to travel with.
cattales1960

Post by cattales1960 »

strawberrysoul wrote:yeah thats my plan im just gonna use the free wifi and keep my phone in airplane mode like Balou said ... sorted :)
yeah thats what they told me at the store, they said be careful oer there you could acrue a big data fee.