Marijuana and sperm count

Anything else.

Moderator: Balou

amstajunkie

Marijuana and sperm count

Post by amstajunkie »

I have heard for many years, since I was an adolescent that marijuana decreases your sperm count. I have always accepted this as fact and often see it repeated in literature discussing the effects of smoking marijuana. I know the side effects of any kind of drug can affect people differently, but has anyone seen a source for this research that shows that marijuana decreases sperm count? Could it be that this is just something that got started back in the Reagan propaganda years and has just be continuously repeated and accepted to be true? The reason I am bringing this up is that my wife and I are currently trying to conceive and we are going to use artificial insemination. During this process I needed to give a semen sample to the fertility doctor to ensure that the issue was not with me. The results were that my sperm count was about 2.5 times higher than an average man. About twice the amount of my sperm swam more then normal etc.. etc.. Basically I had about 2-3 times more potent sperm in every category. Now I have relaxed my smoking quite a bit the past couple of years in order to avoid getting fired from my job due to drug tests, but when I last had my semen analyzed I had just completed a 3 week high grade marijuana binge. Surely that would have effected my semen to some extent if in fact the reported side effects were true.

Any theories or sources that support or refute this low sperm count claim?

Slim d

Re: Marijuana and sperm count

Post by Slim d »

Working for a lab so I asked someone
Advice was that THC was known to affect production of testosterone in males.
This could have an effect in the male's ability to produce decent sperm or good levels - which is in turn going to make conceiving a bit more tricky.
That said, there isn't any conclusive studies available but doctors are always going to suggest cutting down or stopping anything that could or does have an effect on sperm production.

Ps. GOOD LUCK
I rolled two spliffs, so I guess I'm double jointed
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

I done my own study, 20yrs smoking weed, after 14yrs I decided to have kids, I have 2, so my test says bull and I know plenty of stoners with kids.

Imho a kick in the nuts will have more effect on yer chunk more than a spliffs.

It's bullshit bro, government propaganda, good luck with the treatment.
redeyezman

Post by redeyezman »

Total bullocks. Why not go the old school route? More fun that way!
Shells sink. Dreams float.
ftcarer

Post by ftcarer »

stoner for 20 yrs , father of 4 , 2 born in the same year & they are not twins :lol: :shock: :wink: so I say it's all crap :wink: Hope it all works out for you & your wifey :mrgreen:
Sending out the good vibes to those that need them right now :-)
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Ah well, it's all bollox either way. :idea: :P
What a long strange trip it is.
geoffk

Post by geoffk »

http://mokum2006.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://mokum2008.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steveierfc1872