Moderator: Balou

macky

Re: Virus

Post by macky »

“Man makes plans....God laughs” :mrgreen:

Comus

Post by Comus »

macky wrote: Sun 22nd Mar 2020 08:08 pm “Man makes plans....God laughs” :mrgreen:
"now i don't want to start any blasphemous rumours, but i think that god's got a sick sense of humour, and when i die i expect to find him laughing" - depeche mode
I'm in shocks and stares
macky

Post by macky »

Comus wrote: Sun 22nd Mar 2020 08:24 pm [quote=macky post_id=426162 time=<a href="tel:1584907713">1584907713</a> user_id=112449]
“Man makes plans....God laughs” :mrgreen:
"now i don't want to start any blasphemous rumours, but i think that god's got a sick sense of humour, and when i die i expect to find him laughing" - depeche mode
[/quote]
Comes from Jewish proverbs ...people who know it can always get worse :)
EasilySuede

Post by EasilySuede »

hope everyone's staying healthy and reasonably happy during these strange times.

the worldometer is giving near-real time updates (just refresh the webpage) of the
number of CV-19 cases, as well as by-country breakdowns, trend graphs, symptoms, etc.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

here's a little more detail re: those who are most severely effected by CV-19
from: https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/ ... cials.html

the text:
People with previously existing ailments have been told to take extra precautions against coronavirus — avoiding large crowds, staying away from anyone who appears ill and other forms of social distancing.

Older adults in particular and those with underlying health conditions are more at risk for severe illness from COVID-19. That is why officials are pressing a “stay home, stay healthy” message because people who have the virus but no symptoms might inadvertently infect these higher risk people.

Those who are 60 or older and have an underlying health condition are at higher risk. And people over 60, generally, have immune systems that are naturally weaker than their younger counterparts.

Here are the risk factors, no matter the age of the person, according to a news release Sunday from the Oregon Health Authority:

- Lung disease, including asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (chronic bronchitis or emphysema) or other chronic conditions associated with impaired lung function or that require home oxygen
- Compromised immune system (immunosuppression) (e.g., seeing a doctor for cancer and treatment such as chemotherapy or radiation, receiving an organ or bone marrow transplant, taking high doses of corticosteroids or other immunosuppressant medications, HIV with a CD4 count <200)
- Blood disorders (e.g., sickle cell disease or on blood thinners)
- Chronic kidney disease
- Chronic liver disease
- Current or recent pregnancy (in the last two weeks)
- Diabetes, or other endocrine disorders
- Metabolic disorders (such as inherited metabolic disorders and mitochondrial disorders)
- Heart disease (such as congenital heart disease, congestive heart failure and coronary artery disease)
- Neurological and neurologic and neurodevelopment conditions

But age alone also puts someone at risk. A massive study by the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention surveyed nearly 45,000 cases in the country as of Feb. 11. It found that the mortality rate for COVID-19 was zero for children in their first decade of life, and 0.1% for people 19 and younger.

That compares to the overall death rate of 2.3% in China. (Scientists now think the worldwide death rate might turn out to be closer to 1 percent).

By far, it was youngsters’ grandparents or great grandparents who were the ones who were dying because of the virus: about 15% of people 80 years and older who were infected ultimately died. The death rate was 8% for people in their 70s, 3.6% in their 60s, 1.3% in their 50s and 0.4% or lower for people 49 and younger.

Additionally, early data show men may be more prone to coronavirus illness and complications than women.

be well ACD
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Italys increases are reducing, could this be a glimmer of hope? Could the lockdown be paying off? Korea and China did manage to do it. If it is helping hopefully Spain should soon see reductions in increases too.

13 year old died in Panama too BTW today.

If this clears up the far side of the summer? Should ACD consider rescheduling 420 to a date in Q4?
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

A little something to amuse you as you shelter in place. - http://www.notpron.org/notpron/

Enjoy
FlyByNite
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

As the UK goes into full lockdown to suppress transmission.
I think it's worth trying immediately.
They'd be driven to it sooner or later as the curve turns upward.
We're already on Italy trajectory a couple of weeks behind.
Some suggestions that there might be a peak there now after 2 weeks or so of lockdown.
So we can see where we'll be in a couple of weeks, even with a lockdown.
It buys some time but we still need mass testing to get out of this I reckon
(or cure or vaccine of course)

Take care. Look after each other. We're all in this together.
hulldj

Post by hulldj »

FlyByNite wrote: Mon 23rd Mar 2020 08:51 pm A little something to amuse you as you shelter in place. - http://www.notpron.org/notpron/

Enjoy
FlyByNite
Its like an escape room in your own home.

Stuck getting through to floor 3.. I will come back to that later, got an Ark server play with.

Thanks FBN
Live.. Love... Laugh and dance more. Stay safe ACD
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

hulldj wrote: Mon 23rd Mar 2020 09:58 pm Stuck getting through to floor 3
Only 137 more to go, lol.

Enjoy
FlyByNite
hulldj

Post by hulldj »

FlyByNite wrote: Mon 23rd Mar 2020 10:23 pm
hulldj wrote: Mon 23rd Mar 2020 09:58 pm Stuck getting through to floor 3
Only 137 more to go, lol.

Enjoy
FlyByNite
Only 134
Live.. Love... Laugh and dance more. Stay safe ACD
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Just shy of three quarters of a million infected and numbers just getting going.

I think when Africa and India ramp up it's gonna be good night vienna. If it brough that much suffering to Italy and Spain I can only imagine what it will be like in the developing world.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

It's poignant to read back through the posts here, especially as we know we're always living through the results of mistakes made at least a couple of weeks earlier.

Most countries seem to have made the same mistakes.

China was initially in denial and allowed the virus to get established. By the time they realised it was serious, they had to implement a total lockdown to slow it down.

When infections were detected all over the world, a couple of months ago, different countries reacted in different ways.

Korea, and other countries that had experienced scary viruses before, jumped into action. They did loads of testing and rigorous tracking. At least so far, this seems to have worked for them. They seem to have managed to contain it without having to resort to a lockdown.

Europe and USA, on the other hand, were much slower to react. They did exactly the same as China. They let the virus get established and, by the time they realised it was serious, they had to implement total lockdowns to slow it down.

It seems to me that a lockdown is an admission of failure. We should never have let it get this far and now we're going to pay an enormous price in lives and economic damage. Questions will need to be asked of our leaders when this is all over.

We've also blown any chance of criticising China for not reacting fast enough because we've done exactly the same thing. Possibly more so.
Comus

Post by Comus »

does any of it matter? really? people ask me, 'aren't you worried?' .... i reply, 'would it help?' :-|
I'm in shocks and stares
Tokeing tom

Post by Tokeing tom »

I met a chap earlier that told me it's all a cover up that they have just switched on 5 g and that's the cause of it... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Comus wrote: Mon 30th Mar 2020 10:11 pm does any of it matter? really? people ask me, 'aren't you worried?' .... i reply, 'would it help?' :-|
Fair comment. Stay stoned and carry on :D