Virus

Anything else.

Moderator: Balou

RoMoney

Re: Virus

Post by RoMoney »

Lemming wrote: Mon 27th Apr 2020 05:39 pm I posted this a while ago on Facebook:

Imagine if a country like this one managed to infect 60% of its population only to discover that those people have not gained immunity. Not only would that country have wasted countless lives for nothing, they would also have created a massive reservoir of infected people to endanger those countries that had taken a more responsible approach.
I see even WHO have said infection doesn't guarantee immunity or at least they can't say that it does at this point.....if you could get this multiple times it would NOT be good!!

Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

DjShaggy wrote: Mon 27th Apr 2020 06:30 pm Ok so stop complaining. What’s the answer? Obviously locking everyone up in their houses for the rest of their lives isn’t going to work.
Obviously not. Ideally you don't let things get so out of control that you have to resort to that.

Also, I was passed an article yesterday arguing that strict lockdown doesn't really help. According to that it's school closures, travel restrictions, centralised quarantine, avoiding mass gatherings and using masks that make the difference.

It's UK government's 4-stage plan that I have the biggest issue with. Way back in January they said that their strategy would pass through four phases: contain, delay, research and mitigate. I've always thought that we should try to contain at all costs and, if that failed, we were in deep shit. The idea that we needed to divide deep shit into three more phases always seemed ridiculous to me.
Comus

Post by Comus »

it was bound to be disasterous having a political party in charge of a healthcare crisis that is predominantly made up of economists and ex-financial industry types. the few ex-healthcare professionals that they do have voted relentlessly for the dismantling of the NHS over the last decade. they've prentended to have a 4 phase plan where in reality they just had a single phase of nothing
I'm in shocks and stares
Comus

Post by Comus »

Willjay wrote: Mon 27th Apr 2020 10:07 pm
DjShaggy wrote: Mon 27th Apr 2020 06:30 pm Ok so stop complaining. What’s the answer? Obviously locking everyone up in their houses for the rest of their lives isn’t going to work.
Science and Patience is the answer,
this ... especially patience as science will take a wee while
I'm in shocks and stares
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

Comus wrote: Tue 28th Apr 2020 11:51 pm
Willjay wrote: Mon 27th Apr 2020 10:07 pm
Science and Patience is the answer,
this ... especially patience as science will take a wee while
How long has it taken to find a cure for hiv?
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
macky

Post by macky »

The best reason I heard for lock down ,flatten curve. ER Doctor “If you came in my ER two months ago you probably would die ,now you probably live and two months from now there will be a better chance you live.”
Witch makes sense when you listen to the science...there’s more they do not know about virus then they do right now .
Patience is the name of the game you probably will get it in the next year but hopefully science will save you :D
CruMember

Post by CruMember »

Comus wrote: Tue 28th Apr 2020 10:41 pm it was bound to be disasterous having a political party in charge of a healthcare crisis that is predominantly made up of economists and ex-financial industry types. the few ex-healthcare professionals that they do have voted relentlessly for the dismantling of the NHS over the last decade. they've prentended to have a 4 phase plan where in reality they just had a single phase of nothing
...you're right, with special thanks to Soulmates Donald and Boris! Not to forget denier Bolsonaro catching up with/for Brazil... Sorry for any cynism.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... e-pressure
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

It's easy to be wise in hindsight but nevertheless ...
---
Imagine you're running the UK at the end of January 2020.
---
For several weeks you and your people have been watching a horror story unfold in China.
Wuhan has been in lockdown for a week.
There's little information available but a few things are known: the disease is deadly and highly infectious.
It's been calculated that it probably started at the beginning of December and spread so explosively that after less than two months the situation was so bad that the only solution was a draconian lockdown.
---
Meanwhile, in the UK your scientists have done really well.
They were given the genetic data by the Chinese via the WHO and have already used that to develop a test for the virus.
The bad news is that, when they deployed that test, they discovered that the virus is already in the UK.
You can assume that the detected person was probably infected at least a week earlier so the UK is now in the same position as China was around the second week of December.
You can therefore assume, if you do nothing, in about seven weeks time the UK will be in the same position as Wuhan was at the point it went into lockdown.
---
Repeat, if you do nothing, by mid March your country will be in the same state as Wuhan.
You don't need a fancy model or a crystal ball to predict that.
Unless there is something fundamentally different about the UK compared with China or you take some drastic action, it's safe to assume that the story here will follow the same plot.
---
The feeling amongst government and people is that a lockdown like the one you're watching in China wouldn't be possible here.
Anyway, the economic damage of such a lockdown would be so severe that it's really not an option.
The people assume that you'll get it under control long before it gets anywhere near that bad.
---
To summarise your scenario:
The virus is loose in your country.
You have the technology to test for it but your testing capacity is very limited.
The economic cost of following Wuhan could be worse than the Great Depression so you can give yourself a virtually unlimited budget for whatever action you choose to take.
---
So, what are you going to do?
Are you, for instance, going to get every laboratory in the country, every university, wherever it's possible, to get into the testing business?
That could allow you to see where the virus is, where the clusters are, to give you a chance of containing it.
Or are you maybe going to tell people to wash their hands?
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

We got some more freedom this weekend in Spain after 7 weeks. I was out and about shortly after 7am on Saturday morning and surprisingly for Spain (or unsurprisingly given the lockdown) there was a lot of people out and about......hours for excercise are 6am to 10am and 8pm to 10pm.

Some places open today, barbers etc. but are by appointment only. Interesting to see what it does to the numbers over the next few weeks. Looking at what the science people say we are nearly guaranteed a second wave, so my main objective is to get a shave before the second lockdown starts :lol:
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Lemming wrote: Wed 4th Mar 2020 02:23 pm Maybe we should start a rumour that cannabis is the miracle cure and encourage large scale cultivation and consumption to defeat the epidemic.
Canadian scientists are testing whether compounds in marijuana can prevent coronavirus from 'hijacking' human cells
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Lemming wrote: Thu 21st May 2020 12:36 pm
Lemming wrote: Wed 4th Mar 2020 02:23 pm Maybe we should start a rumour that cannabis is the miracle cure and encourage large scale cultivation and consumption to defeat the epidemic.
Canadian scientists are testing whether compounds in marijuana can prevent coronavirus from 'hijacking' human cells
aHA! Not a rumor, scientific fact (well, soon hopefully) ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

CopenhagenCouple wrote: Fri 22nd May 2020 03:27 am
Lemming wrote: Thu 21st May 2020 12:36 pm
aHA! Not a rumor, scientific fact (well, soon hopefully) ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
So trips to Netherlands and Spain may be essential travel soon? :mrgreen: Bit of medical tourism!
FawnWitmer

Post by FawnWitmer »

Europe is in second lockdown phase, but I feel sorry for my friends who are suffering because of it. Yes, it is easy for many of us to work from home, but it is not same for all people. My UK friend who conducts holistic therapies closed his clinic for one month on government's orders, but still, there is no clarity when they would be allowed to open them again. This virus is not bad for the health sector, but its actual target is the economy.
AgripinaEmano

Post by AgripinaEmano »

The virus affected different people in a different manner. The president of the United States was roaming here and there when he was infected but all of us are imposed to use face masks. WHO is super confused and still we didn't hear anything about the vaccine.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

It's nearly a year since I posted in the 4/20 2020 thread on 24th February that I was a bit worried that 2020 might turn out to be the 'Virus Year' much like the 'Volcano Year' of 2010 when planes were grounded and stopped most of us getting to Amsterdam in April.

My concern at that time was that there might be border closures. It was obviously already too late for that but the principle of doing everything late had already been established. Unbelievably, those arguments are still going on a year later.

A year ago Wuhan had been in lockdown for a month and a local lockdown had just begun in northern Italy. Cases were popping up all over the place and it seemed to me that each of those was probably the tip of a different iceberg.

The immediate reaction on the forum was that surely the problem will be solved by April. It was only February after all. Sadly over the subsequent weeks it became clear that the situation was far from under control.

And so here we are a year later going around in the same circles.