Whats everyone reading?

Anything else.

Moderator: Balou

ftcarer

Re: Whats everyone reading?

Post by ftcarer »

Got myself 2 new reads :mrgreen:

Leadbelly - The True Inside Story Of An Underworld War - John Silvester & Andrew Rule
&
Mellow Pages - A Smokers Guide To Amsterdam - Kip :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
1985 version very happy to have found this (any version of this really been looking since I read about it here) yes it's out of date & the Map it should have is missing but still all good :mrgreen: there's 2 copies of the 1980? version on amazon for £200 +p&p , I got this on amazon for just under £8 +p&p :D :D :D

Sending out the good vibes to those that need them right now :-)
HasAnyoneSeenMyPipe

Post by HasAnyoneSeenMyPipe »

A Storm of Swords, George R. R. Martin, book 3 in the Game of thrones series, simply outstanding.
redeyezman

Post by redeyezman »

Shells sink. Dreams float.
pengaldinho

Post by pengaldinho »

Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Dutch Football by David Winner - really good read - looks at the roots of total football in Dutch history and culture. Not just for football fans - "If this is a book about Dutch football, at some stage you'll probably wonder why it contains pages and pages about art and architects, cows and canals, anarchists, church painters, rabbits and airports, but barely a word, for example, about PSV and Feyenoord."
http://www.youtube.com/user/HinduDeathCabbage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
toker31

Post by toker31 »

The World Until Yesterday - Jared Diamond
treetop

Post by treetop »

Live by night by Dennis Lehane

Read all of his stuff. Can't get enough.
How much did you produce?
exceluk1

Post by exceluk1 »

Bardo Thodol. well worth a read if your have an open mind.
If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite.
treetop

Post by treetop »

Just finished Live by Night by Dennis Lehane. Barnstormingly good prohibition gangster tale. Even better it is not set in NE USA for a change!

Taking suggestions as what to read next. Anyone suggest a way I can read Foundation IV online?
How much did you produce?
EasilySuede

Post by EasilySuede »

toker31 wrote:The World Until Yesterday - Jared Diamond
Thanks for this. I've got GG&S and C in my collection. Maybe his latest will be my travel read.
cheers
pengaldinho

Post by pengaldinho »

Recently read:
Stand outs
El Narco: The Bloody Rise of Mexican Drug Cartels by Ioan Grillo – really well written and interesting insight into Mexico's drug war. The history chapters are particularly good.
Futebol: The Brazilian Way of Life by Alex Bellos – Great read! Explores Brazilian identity through football and shows the sport as a microcosm of Brazil and all its contradictions. Loads of great stories and tales.

Others
Glorious by Paul Gascoigne – lots of nice pics
George Best by Ivan Ponting – nice pics and stories of goals and dribbles
Puskas on Puskas – good football/political biography
Dynamo by Andy Dougan – Crazy story of 'The Death Match' where a group of Dynamo Kiev players refused to loose to the Nazis.
The Damned Utd by David Peace – strangely written, not great
Underdogs: The Unlikely Story of Football's First FA Cup Heroes by Keith Dewhurst – history of toffs vs working class fa cup football game.
Robbed by Rob Jones – pretty simple, good easy reading
Ronaldinho: Football's Flamboyant Maestro by Jethro Soutar – good book about great player.
Cultivating Exceptional Cannabis by DJ short – some of the stuff about breeding is fucking complicated.
Organic Marijuana by Soma – ok, but pretty basic.
Blood Ties : The 'Ndrangheta : Italy's New Mafia by Gianluigi Nuzzi and Claudio Antonel – good but no Gomorah.

Having read lots online articles about the 'Steve Jobs of methamphetamine' and other crazy goings on in the Mexican cartels – I ordered Dying for the Truth by Blog del Narco but I am unable to read it because almost every page has a hi-res colour picture of a skinned human body with their cock cut off & in their hand, faces sown to footballs, messages written in intestines and much much more. It does have a 'warning graphic pics inside' yellow tape wrapped around the book when you get it but I was not prepared for what I saw!
http://www.youtube.com/user/HinduDeathCabbage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Colino

Post by Colino »

pengaldinho wrote: Blood Ties : The 'Ndrangheta : Italy's New Mafia by Gianluigi Nuzzi and Claudio Antonel – good but no Gomorah.
If you are interested in the topic you can read "Vaticano spa" which is a book about the recent financial and politic scandals in the church from Gianluigi Nuzzi. It's a bit complex as it's also related to italian politic but he did a great job indeed
pengaldinho

Post by pengaldinho »

Colino wrote:
pengaldinho wrote: Blood Ties : The 'Ndrangheta : Italy's New Mafia by Gianluigi Nuzzi and Claudio Antonel – good but no Gomorah.
If you are interested in the topic you can read "Vaticano spa" which is a book about the recent financial and politic scandals in the church from Gianluigi Nuzzi. It's a bit complex as it's also related to italian politic but he did a great job indeed
Thanks for the recommendation but I don't think its out in English :(
Colino

Post by Colino »

pengaldinho wrote:
Colino wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation but I don't think its out in English :(
maybe some opposition from the vatican milieu ? :twisted: