Ordinary Mexicans may soon have legalized marijuana

Puffin13

Post by Puffin13 »

8th September, 2010

The government of Mexico, tired of drug war violence, is considering the legalization of marijuana and possibly other drugs.

With Mexicans everywhere, exhausted by the deadly drug wars, asking for answers, the debate has grown more urgent.

Discussion about legalization has already been put on the public agenda by President Felipe Calderon, who has held a series of open forums with politicians and civic leaders.

The president is also known to be watching the neighbouring US state of California, to see if the state approves an initiative on November 2nd to legalize marijuana for recreational use.

Calderon has said that Mexico will not be able to act alone in legalizing drugs, saying if the cost of drugs is not levelled, at least in the United States, the black-market price will still be determined by US consumers.

Former President Vicente Fox, a member of Calderon’s conservative National Action Party, recently wrote that the country should consider legalizing the production, distribution and sale of drugs, to "strike and break the economic structure that allows the mafias to generate huge profits in their business."

Counternarcotics officials have said several Mexican cartels are deeply involved in marijuana production and sales in California .

Source

Cannabis is The Tree of Life
Marco

Post by Marco »

'Ordinary' Mexicans? WTF?
sh@dy

Post by sh@dy »

so as we all thought, everyone is just waiting for the US....

Please California, make it, make it for the rest of us!
Pauli Wallnuts

Post by Pauli Wallnuts »

sh@dy wrote:so as we all thought, everyone is just waiting for the US....

even if its legalized in US why do u think others will follow, im a gambling man, &id put every penny i own that the UK wont legalize in the next 50years (at the very least), where does this idea of america leading the way come from?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXbNLkNh ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hardboiled

Post by hardboiled »

Pauli Wallnuts wrote:, where does this idea of america leading the way come from?
boundless optimism man. A smoker needs it :)

When a nation state uses armed force and incarceration against its' citizens in a hypocritical and unjust war....well...one can hope :lol:
Ingwey Gooblebogger

Post by Ingwey Gooblebogger »

where does this idea of america leading the way come from?
Boundless optimism, yes, but also my guess is that since the US started both drug prohibition and the unwinnable so-called "war-on-drugs", if they come to their senses other countries may also follow.

One reason Canada's own legalisation/decriminalisation was stalled in 2003 was due to the fact that the Yanks would threaten severe sanctions on Canada.

Since both Canada and the US are each other's biggest trading partners, these sanctions might not be very realistic, but our governement shits its pants when the Yanks issue such threats or over the possiblitiy of these threats.

Other countries (i.e. Holland, Jamaica, etc) have also been warned of the sanctions that would be leveled against them if legalised it, so without the threat of US actions, these countries may feel free to follow their own saner drug policies.

However, the idea that the US will legalise cannabis, strikes me as a very extreme longshot. (Even if California does so, that is state law and not a federal law, so it would be limited to California and I am still pessimistic about Cali legalising. I hope to be proven wrong on this issue.)
sh@dy

Post by sh@dy »

Pauli Wallnuts wrote:
sh@dy wrote:so as we all thought, everyone is just waiting for the US....

even if its legalized in US why do u think others will follow, im a gambling man, &id put every penny i own that the UK wont legalize in the next 50years (at the very least), where does this idea of america leading the way come from?
countless countries where weed has been accepted for hundreds and thousands of years are only waiting for the US to legalize, like Jamaica,Thailand.....all those "little" countries just dont want to be sanctioned by the US just because of their drug laws.
There was Jamaica 2-3 years about to legalize, then the US told them they would treat them like they did with Cuba and of course they got scared and let down on the idea.
I am not saying after Cali legalises, on the next day all others will follow, but it will make it a lot easier for them countries who already want to legalise