Recommendations for a Portable Vape

Hardware and techniques: joints, pipes and vaporisers.
dconstrukt

Re: Recommendations for a Portable Vape

Post by dconstrukt »

hard to beat the solo.. + a micro grinder… especially since its half the price of the mighty.

haven't been able to really smoke due to some nerve pain issue in my neck… smoking makes the pain 10x worse. :(

OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Ouch - that sucks dude. Hope that gets better for you real soon.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

So after about six months of contstant daily use the power button on my Mighty stopped working, Considering that she's taken some considerable knocks and I'd dropped her a number of times - the case was cracked in a couple places I emailed Storz and Bickel requesting a price for a refurb - being completely honest about the punishment I'd given her. I figured I'd contributed significantly to its demise.
What happened next blew my mind.

S&B emailed back ten minutes later asking for my address so they could arrange a UPS collection that they'd pay for.
UPS arrived the next day. I sent only the unit (sans cooling & mouthpiece part).
Five days later I received a boxed brand new replacement Mighty. Complete with a full set of of accessories!!

Hands down the best customer service I've had from any company - ever.

I'd purchased a Crafty in the meantime as a buddy owns a head shop and gave me a great price. The Mighty is great at home but just that bit too large for subtle outdoor use. The crafty fits the bill perfectly - the battery life is average, I get five to seven heat-ups and the app is a pain in the arse to use but otherwise the unit is just as tasty and easy to load as the bigger Mighty.
That customer service is the icing on the cake though. Excllent stuff
talkrum

Post by talkrum »

Birthday and Xmas pressy cash - Just ordered a Mighty (Amazon £225) - having used a Flowermate 5s (£60) for about 9 months. I will report back if spending nearly 4x on a vape is worth it.
mowie

Post by mowie »

I just orderer a flowermate v5.0s because of the reviews in this thread, should arrive today. Seems like the best value device out there. Will give a short review if I find some time for it.
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

You cant go wrong, the flowermate is the handiest I've had so far. Mines in constant :mrgreen: use since last april and the battery is still as good almost, still getting 5 or 6 sessions from a charge. £60 is a good price for a daily machine.
I've used other more expensive ones some quite good, the Acsent and the Mighty, but this is good value for money.
What a long strange trip it is.
Bob2

Post by Bob2 »

so tried my mates mighty (thought hed get the crafty cause of the app thing) thankfully Not.. so well first off its more convection than my solo but is 100% exactly the same as solo same high same coughing same front of head high with the lemon i got. battery seems to heat up quicker, but battery life isnt as good as solo from full charge only got 5 full bowls then it was nearly dead, mate even said he might return as the battery life sucks.(less than a week old) he loved grinding the weed and loading with that weird orange bowl filler thing. i told him crap gimmick and showed him filling my stem easily in one go 100 times quicker than he did. it looks impressive but the solo is impressive. i know alot will not agree to this. but i love simple straight forward. every aspect of solo is so simple. i still will buy the grasshopper vape when its ready for shops (saw on vapefiend, but out of stock) but pay for it years in advance NO..
as spider says the flowermate is a great solid vape for every first time vape owner. i think there is a brand new version of it coming out with more options bet its comes with price tag over £100.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

stuart1976 wrote:only got 5 full bowls then it was nearly dead
Yeah deffo get that Mighty sent back - I get at least 15ish full heats from totally cold before mine needs a re-charge. At least. If I don't let the unit cool down too much between bowls (I let it drop to about 70°c so it doesn't instantly start toasting my newly loaded bowl) - I can vape for quite literally 3 hours at a time on a single charge. Not so with the crafty which overheats after it's been on for 15 mins or more.

I only use the filling tool when I'm out and about with either vape - I find it's a great way to carry a bunch of ground up flowers that are easily loaded quickly into the unit - I can load it while walking without breaking a stride these days :)

I agree about the app on the crafty - total nonsense. No-one could convince me that there isn't room for buttons on the device itself. Gimmicky - totally out of character for both Storz and Bickel and German design methinks.
mowie

Post by mowie »

spidergawd wrote:You cant go wrong, the flowermate is the handiest I've had so far. Mines in constant :mrgreen: use since last april and the battery is still as good almost, still getting 5 or 6 sessions from a charge. £60 is a good price for a daily machine.
I've used other more expensive ones some quite good, the Acsent and the Mighty, but this is good value for money.
In germany, it's about 110€.
Got mine last week and I have mixed feelings about it. Seems to work great, steady vapor, weed looks evenly "cooked" after two 5-minute sessions, battery life is decent, glass mouthpiece is great, easy to clean, etc...

BUT:

I know you get a different high from vaping, which I like. More head-high, less body-high, right?
The Flowermate DOES get me high, but I use a LOT more bud than I do when I smoke.
On normal evenings, I only smoke about 0,5g bud, but now I vape like 2g.

Is it because I'm so used to the "smoke-high" that I want to achieve that kind of high with the vaporizer and therefore tend to use much, much more?
I'm packing the bowl with about 0,3-0,4g, press it down a little and do two 5 minutes sessions. I try to take tokes as big as I can without coughing. That way I should be getting enough cannabinoids out of it, shouldn't I?

Any advices? Do I just have to get used to vaping? Is a (volcano) desktop vaporizer much more efficient than a portable one? Because I read a lot about people saving up to 75% of their bud using vaporizers.

I'm keeping the vaped bud to make some butter though, maybe then it's worth it overall :D :?:
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Most people generally find that the amount the consume goes down when switching to vaping - purely down to the lack of losses through combustion. I.e., you're inhaling more cannabanoids when vaping so something is definitely amiss.

I can't offer much perspective on your question - personally I don't experience a difference in highs between vaping and smoking. As I understand the science - ultimately when you're smoking a joint or bong bowl - the cannabanoids you're inhaling (and absorbing) are the molecules being vaporised by the heat of the cherry, any molecule that combusts is destroyed and isn't available for absorption.

I do think that the quality of the vapour is device dependent though - certainly when it comes to taste.
I have the flowermate - it's a fantastic unit for the price but ultimately it doesn't quite deliver a satisfactory experience for me at the side of the Mighty or Crafty which just seem to deliver a bigger hit.
dconstrukt

Post by dconstrukt »

i'm loving the mighty

still fucking around with the temp settings.

lately i've got it on 401 F … had it on 365 F before… what are you guys finding the best temps?

the clouds at 400F are huge!

i need to try the solo again… haven't used it much since i got the mighty…. but the airflow on the mighty is so much better, makes it easier to get bigger clouds.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

dconstrukt wrote:lately i've got it on 401 F … had it on 365 F before… what are you guys finding the best temps?
For flowers I don't generally go higher than 370 / 380°f
For rosin or full melt bubble I turn her all the way up to the top.
dconstrukt

Post by dconstrukt »

thanks dude. i'll lower it down and try it out.
talkrum

Post by talkrum »

I have used the Mighty for just over 1 week - Vorsprung durch Technik – met slagroom - and with knobs on!. Great advice from all the ACDers – Again – Thanks.
I originally bought the Flowermate as I needed to convince myself that vaping could help me kick combustion completely. Its a good cheap unit and it works, I even managed a full week in Dam without sparking up once. The next step was to choose another vape – and initially I decided on the Ariser Solo or Air – I have never used one but I imagine that it would be easy to get pure clean hits every time by having a handful of spare mouthpieces – cleaning can be a big issue with vapes imo – its pain with the Flowermate. Extra birthday funds meant I could look at the Storz & Bickel range – and as my mobile phone runs on gas not Android – I discounted the Crafty and got the Mighty. Precision and ease of use, great tasting herbs – sip it or chug – big clouds – all great. Is it worth £225 – hard to say – the Solo is £100 cheaper – but I don’t regret spending the money. Volcano next for me – I like the idea of vaping the herb at higher temps – found some interesting articles during my research –
http://www.hightimes.com/read/studying- ... r-vape-use - “ at 230 °C the Volcano managed to put 77% of the cannabinoids from the original flower into vapor. Smoking cannabis in a joint only yielded 43% of the cannabinoids.” - Wtf?
http://www.weedist.com/2012/07/tailorin ... vaporizer/
http://www.weedist.com/2012/07/tailorin ... ng-points/
http://www.weedist.com/2012/08/tailorin ... is-defined

I have settled on 357f as my sweet spot for the herbs at hand, as I prefer chugging along at a lower temperature to help prolong the flavour. Higher temps give much bigger clouds but make me cough and the taste disappears quicker. I am considering getting a water pipe attachment – are there any Mighty\Glass combos recommended by ACDers?
dconstrukt

Post by dconstrukt »

dude good choice.

i have a solo for a few years. it was my default vape… but the mighty is even better i think…

solo is a pain to clean… you gotta clean the glass stem right away or you're fucked.

a micro grinder (MFLB brand) is amazing with a screen for the solo… takes it to the next level.

but the airflow on the mighty and the temp. settings…. wow.

i'm at 390F for mine now… i like the clouds!