Recommendations for a Portable Vape

Hardware and techniques: joints, pipes and vaporisers.
OneHighMofo

Re: Recommendations for a Portable Vape

Post by OneHighMofo »

talkrum wrote: found some interesting articles during my research –
http://www.hightimes.com/read/studying- ... r-vape-use - “ at 230 °C the Volcano managed to put 77% of the cannabinoids from the original flower into vapor. Smoking cannabis in a joint only yielded 43% of the cannabinoids.” - Wtf?
http://www.weedist.com/2012/07/tailorin ... vaporizer/
http://www.weedist.com/2012/07/tailorin ... ng-points/
http://www.weedist.com/2012/08/tailorin ... is-defined

I have settled on 357f as my sweet spot for the herbs at hand, as I prefer chugging along at a lower temperature to help prolong the flavour. Higher temps give much bigger clouds but make me cough and the taste disappears quicker. I am considering getting a water pipe attachment – are there any Mighty\Glass combos recommended by ACDers?

Very interesting articles there Talkrum thanks for posting those - I've had a quick scan and need to read them properly. It certainly seems like there's a therapeutic benefit from vaping at higher temps. Like you I prefer to maintain taste longer and use a lower setting but the articles are very interesting never the less thanks again.

Back on page 8 of this thread there's some pics of my Mighty / water pipe combo :)

Bob2

Post by Bob2 »

not to be rude but your weed might suck? i get shitty/average weed now and again, but high when vaping average weed give right shit results on any vape ive tried. amazing weed leaves me dribbling all over the carpet. i might be wrong, but always worth thinking when not getting high also ive had weed i vaped and was really crap, then stick it in the bong and your off your tits ??? hope you solve your dilemma
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Hi everyone, I recently bought a DaVinci Ascent, I really like it, but I somehow miss something. Not sure what it is, but I'd say, the vapourcloud is not really dense enough for me lol. So I'm gonna sell my Ascent and ordered me a Crafty as well. The site I was on for orders also sold glass pieces for Crafty/Mighty plus waterpipe adapters for 18 and 14 mm glass bongs, maybe someone is interessted in that ? Not sure if it's ok to post links to shops here.
As for temperature ranges, for the Ascent I had a temperature pattern programmed, which had a first temp step to 100C and rest there for about 3-5 min. Reason for that was to convert THCA into THC first before I raised to 185C and theb to 200C. Found the high different and faster when I vaped this way other then the slow approaching headhigh when going straight to 185C and vape for a while.

Greetz Grendel
dude65

Post by dude65 »

dconstrukt wrote: solo is a pain to clean… you gotta clean the glass stem right away or you're fucked.

a micro grinder (MFLB brand) is amazing with a screen for the solo… takes it to the next level.
I was going to get a Solo when the Air enticed me with the easily replaceable battery and smaller size. I have absolutley NO trouble with cleaning the stems (or the inside of the "oven"). I also have a screen in the stems. I don't see the "you gotta clean them right away" part. Here's how to clean a stem in 2 minutes max, right away or a day later:

Put a little salt into both ends of the stem. Add alcohol (isopropyl, the cleaning stuff) to fill about half the stem, cover both openings with a finger and shake, shake, shake. Repeat if necessary. Flush with water and let dry. Easy peasy.

As for the oven: cotton swab dipped in isopropyl, repeat if necessary. Get the last gunk out with a fresh dry cotton swab. Done in a minute.

Added: Maybe I do see what you mean with the "right away" thing: Yes, you want to remove the vaped herb right after the session, while everything is still hot. Just one tap of the stem on ashtray (or storage jar) will empty everything out. Much more of a hassle when everything has cooled down.
Last edited by dude65 on Wed 20th Jan 2016 06:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob2

Post by Bob2 »

never had a problem cleaning my solo either, same as above (i got a glass stem with a tube. so good for cleaning) also i use tooth pick to run around inside of stem filling part leaves stem 100% lovely
dconstrukt

Post by dconstrukt »

lol... the glass stem is a bit of a bitch to clean if you don't do it when it's hot… 91% iso + salt + letting it sit for a few hours works great for me… but I'm using the mighty mostly now...

if you wanna take that solo or air to the next level, like I said, use a screen and get a MICRO grinder…. then thank me later :)
mowie

Post by mowie »

just a small update with my "I don't really get high" problem:

I DO get high (horray!), it's just that I wasn't used to the "clear" high of pure cannabis consumption.
I used to smoke my weed with tobacco before, and although it was just a bit of tobacco, it greatly influenced the high.
tried to smoke some of the same weed with tobacco, pure and vaped some through my flowermate.
the tobacco+weed high is a own kind of high, more relaxing, tired... never noticed that before although I tried some volcanoes over time... no direct comparison I think.
when I smoke pure I get a more clear high, same with vaping, only a bit stronger (as more cannabinoids are extracted)
I really got used to the "new" experience quickly, smoked a tobacco mixed joint yesterday and was very disappointed. not my kind of high anymore.

adjusting my "toke technique" (calm, slow breathing, playing around with the vapor) and setting the vape to medium temperature (violet) also did a lot.

what I don't like about the flowermate:
the mounting thread of the mouthpiece wears off a bit, so the mouthpiece isn't in line with the case no more but about 90° rotated.
that means you have to hold the device in a different way which looks a bit douchey... :D

the standby mode is awesome because of the LED light in the herb chamber... but you only get to standby mode after 5 mins of using it.
I'd like to put it from off to standby mode straight to have the LED light on while packing the first bowl without it heating up.
Mr Incognito

Post by Mr Incognito »

Hi mowie - the mouthpiece in the flowermate will turn in the metal bit (if you get what I mean), so you can screw it in then adjust which way round the glass is. Also, it is worth cleaning the screw thread with something small - I use the corner of a small screwdriver. I find it gets gunk in the thread which affects how well the mouithpiece screws in. I usually vape hash, so this is probably more of an issue for me.

Peace!
mowie

Post by mowie »

Mr Incognito wrote:Hi mowie - the mouthpiece in the flowermate will turn in the metal bit (if you get what I mean), so you can screw it in then adjust which way round the glass is. Also, it is worth cleaning the screw thread with something small - I use the corner of a small screwdriver. I find it gets gunk in the thread which affects how well the mouithpiece screws in. I usually vape hash, so this is probably more of an issue for me.

Peace!
ah, you're right, stupid me.
I clean my flowermate using isopropyl (99,9%) and cotton sticks, it just works! :D

how do you vape hash with the flowermate? do you use the capsules?
Mr Incognito

Post by Mr Incognito »

No - just crumble it into the chamber - similar amount to if you were making a joint - heat it on blue to start. Give it a quick stir with the little spoon thing or something similar (thats optional, but it increases the size of the cloud), then vape away. After a couple of goes, increase to purple, then to red. Worth giving it another stir, and its finished when the clouds are finished. Make sure to empty it out before its gets completely gold, and I do that either with the Flowermate tool thing or a small flat head screwdriver. I find I get a better result with hash in my Flowermate than flowers, and it is also ultra-stealthy this way.

Some hashes work better than others, mind you. My favourite for this method is twizla/tbisla, or something like the white choco block from Boerejongens.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Quick update:
My Mighty power button packed in on me again last night after a further two years of constant use.
I contacted Storz and Bickel immediately - this morning I have a message saying they'd be delighted to replace it. They've sent me a pre-paid UPS label.

Can't speak highly enough of this companies approach to post sales customer service.
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

OneHighMofo wrote: Thu 2nd Mar 2017 03:14 pm Quick update:
My Mighty power button packed in on me again last night after a further two years of constant use.
I contacted Storz and Bickel immediately - this morning I have a message saying they'd be delighted to replace it. They've sent me a pre-paid UPS label.

Can't speak highly enough of this companies approach to post sales customer service.
Well good to hear, guess you got lucky on the timing then (?) Because I think if you pass that two year mark they will (would've) told you to kick rocks.

I would say S&B maybe have some of the best (if not the) customer support of major vape manufacturers. Ploom, the makers of PAX are pretty great and are the only ones I'd say have them beat, I had a delay in my shipping order, and I contacted their rep through the fuckcombustion forum and he made sure my order was fast-tracked and everything so big ups to them as well. My experience aside I think the PAX's 10 year warranty (verus 2 years for S&B) is where I really vest my stock in their competency for customer-support.

I'll chime in that after around 3 weeks or so of heavy use I'm still loving both the PAX 3 & Sticky Brick Junior so those are also two excellent portable models to consider for anyone in the market!

Stay crispy and combustion free out there potheads!
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Thu 2nd Mar 2017 04:10 pmMy experience aside I think the PAX's 10 year warranty (verus 2 years for S&B) is where I really vest my stock in their competency for customer-support.
Yeah that 10 guarantee is the don for sure. Looking forward to trying those bad boys out soon :)
Bob2

Post by Bob2 »

cant speak highly enough about s&b customer care, mates 10 year old volcano packed and said worth ago seeing if you can send it back and he got a brand new one. was a bit shocked at that. his mighty packed up a replacement was sent to him, i think he had to pay p&p for sending. so pax 3 i have the pax somewhere, i did not really like it at all in a few various areas. so hows the pax 3 then, does it require lots of cleaning is the air path way better? and do you get hammered also how much do use roughly to fill.

anyone got the da vinci IQ yet ???
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

stuart1976 wrote: Fri 3rd Mar 2017 06:24 pm cant speak highly enough about s&b customer care, mates 10 year old volcano packed and said worth ago seeing if you can send it back and he got a brand new one. was a bit shocked at that. his mighty packed up a replacement was sent to him, i think he had to pay p&p for sending. so pax 3 i have the pax somewhere, i did not really like it at all in a few various areas. so hows the pax 3 then, does it require lots of cleaning is the air path way better? and do you get hammered also how much do use roughly to fill.

anyone got the da vinci IQ yet ???
Quick head-to-head breakdown Mighty verus PAX 3

Stealth/Portability - PAX 3 mostly wins this for obvious reasons, though it is smellier in-use as it's a conduction-style unit.

Draw resistance/technique - this falls into "ease of use" category as well I suppose, but the Mighty is extremely easy to get a good draw of tasty vapor regardless of draw speed/tech etc. PAX 3 requires a little more maintenance, but if you stay on top of it, cleaning it is fairly easy and takes 15-20 minutes done right; however I find if you use the right pack, consistency/dankness of herb and draw tech you easily end up with comparable (I swear bigger IMHO) clouds to the Mighty, but it does of course put forth more resistance but if you do the draw tech right you'll get those big clouds with minimal effort.

Battery life - both excellent, I would say the PAX 3 wins here if at least by a hair. I seem to charge this thing every other day, and seems to last around 8 sessions or so. Takes between 90-120 for a full charge dependent upon just how dead the battery is/was. Can't speak highly enough about the battery life on this thing, I think it's an industry leader on that front!

Vapor-quality/Flavor - the Mighty is more consistent and less strain-dependent/finicky than the PAX 3, so it wins this one overall. That said, I think proper use is a big factor of getting optimal performance on the PAX. The important things to remember are daaank bud, dryer is better, fine grind, pack firmly full but not airtight and using a slow steady "sip" draw and you'll be rewarded with abundant, tasty, potent vapor. I actually think the flavor holds it's own with the Mighty (most don't agree) though I still realize the that both at peak performance Mighty wins in the flavor department. Though, I think the post "prime-flavor" hits are more tolerable on the PAX because the "roasted/robust" flavor profile you get from the conduction heating tends to mask/kill the "popcorny/nutty" taste that dry herb-vapers know all too well.

Potency - IMHO I would give this one to the PAX 3, I really do feel it gets me more blasted, but again most will disagree I suspect.

Efficiency - ONLY use the half-pack oven lid with the PAX and it becomes almost neck-and-neck with Mighty in terms of efficiency, though the Mighty still wins this one by a hair I reckon. The full-pack is horrible and makes it a much less efficient device, leading me to understand one of the previous models' major flaws although there was a jerry-rigged folded (pipe) screen hack that apparently mitigated this problem for the PAX OG & 2.