Russia Busts Pot Growers… From Space

Puffin13

Post by Puffin13 »

Janurary 21, 2010

ABC's Alexander Marquardt reports from Moscow:

Russia’s drug police now have another weapon in their arsenals -- spy satellites.

A senior Russian counter-narcotics official in Russia’s Far East said Thursday that his forces are teaming up with the country’s space agency -- Roscosmos -- to find and destroy cannabis fields.

"We have been in contact with Roscosmos since late last year," Lt. Gen. Alexander Rolik told reporters, according to state-run news agency RIA Novosti.

Rolik said Roscosmos sends the police the coordinates of the fields, which are then destroyed. So far, the partnership has resulted in the destruction of 119 acres of marijuana and the seizure of 4.4 tons.

“We provide all regional departments of the Federal Drug Control Service with video and photo materials and our monitoring,” Roscosmos spokesman Alexander Vorobjev told ABC News, declining to disclose their methods.

Gen. Rolik told reporters that satellites have been used successfully in the Amur and Ural regions of the country, according to RIA Novosti’s report.

A year ago, Swiss police spotted a hemp field on Google Earth measuring almost two acres.

Source

Cannabis is The Tree of Life
Pauli Wallnuts

Post by Pauli Wallnuts »

:lol: :lol: :lol: if they used every satellite in orbit for detection of cannabis cultivation, it would still probably only make a very small impact on a country the size of russia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXbNLkNh ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kingdoc

Post by Kingdoc »

Commie gits,Seems they only let you do what they agree with there! i want my vote & to travel abroad thanks very much.
echc1

Post by echc1 »

off at a tangent here but; just watched james may on TV and he was at the uk satellite builders....according to the clever guys who build them(at least the 1 on the program) that kind of resolution is not available as each pixel was the equivalent of 2metres by 2 metres....google earth doesnt even show the grows up that well although planting in neat rows would be a bad idea as they are noticed...i googled a buddy's house ...yes i could see a row of dark blobs but not really and definition...................here's the flipside....uk police are looking at UAV's like being used in afghan land....these things would be a problem
Kingdoc

Post by Kingdoc »

Na its not as easy for the growers as it used to be 8).
Dimon

Post by Dimon »

Oh tho crazy Russians! :wink:
H
Pauli Wallnuts

Post by Pauli Wallnuts »

echc1 wrote:that kind of resolution is not available as each pixel was the equivalent of 2metres by 2 metres....google earth doesnt even show the grows up that well although planting in neat rows would be a bad idea as they are noticed...i googled a buddy's house ...yes i could see a row of dark blobs but not really and definition......
as a massive hash fan iv'e used google earth to look for ganja fields on the outskirts of herat in afghanistan, like you say its not possible to say it is definatly ganja, but im pretty sure ive found the location of at least 1field :wink: :lol:
theyr'e hidden in the middle of what looks like normal crops, heres the coordinates tell me what you think, remember nearly all afghan hash comes from the herat province so their is definatly fields out there

34*16'22.23"N - 62*21'31.32"E - Elevation 971m *=degrees
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXbNLkNh ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;