Vintage Cannabis Photography

Bud reviews. Varieties of marijuana.
EasilySuede

Vintage Cannabis Photography

Post by EasilySuede »

from over at icmag https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=135579
to whet our old dusty whistles. most are from before indicas entered
the scene that began the creation of hybrids, which is most of what's out
there today, like cookies, OGs, glue; even nevilles haze, which was an early one
using northern lights #5- NL5/HazeA x HazeC. Super Silver Haze adds a touch
more indica via the addition of skunk#1 (itself a hybrid).

some examples from there...

check out these market quotes from back then...

quite a few folks over at icmag are still growing these old, many landrace, strains.
Revival of the REVIVAL of the ULTIMATE SATIVA THREAD a.k.a R.U.S.T II
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=326079
from page 1

OneHighMofo

Re: Vintage Cannabis Photography

Post by OneHighMofo »

Fascinating stuff - thanks for posting.

I'd really like to try some of those heirloom '<strike>Sativas</strike> grrr/bullshit Narrow leaf tropical Indica's to see whether they really do have 'no high ceiling' as Ed Rosenthal maintains.

Gonna be honest and call bullshit on that - purely down to the basic science of humans having a physical limit to the amount of CB1 receptors in the brain, so when those are full...

Anyway - cycnism about romanticism aside; it would be good to find out for myself. I see Coinosseur Genetics is about to drop some Original Nevilles cuts (crossed to a variety of strains) this year... So i'm looking forward to trying.
Pierre von Mondragon

Post by Pierre von Mondragon »

Cheers, old High Times are great, I remember buying one in '92 because it had Keef on the cover, and reading it and looking at the photos, and trying to reconcile this incredible dope scene with the one in Aberdeen that revolved around mediocre hash at best, shit soap bar at worst.
macky

Post by macky »

Hard to grow that here ,spider mites and hydro growing makes anything over ten weeks hard.
know a few guys who grow out longer flowering strains ,good morning joint but not thinking many are reaching 30 percent THC?
But you seem to know your stuff so maybe i,m wrong?
macky

Post by macky »

If you go WWW.greenmanspage.com and punch on Seedbanks ,They give good info. Where and who developed which strain . But as I said lots of story,s :D
Like the Idea of Neville’s Shoemaker releasing new cuts ,believe he sold most to Sensi seed when he sold them the Seedbank. Interested in what strains they have ,New Neville’s Haze could be 8) .He also had origanal Northern lights cuts .
EasilySuede

Post by EasilySuede »

OneHighMofo wrote: Wed 2nd May 2018 07:43 pm Fascinating stuff - thanks for posting.
I'd really like to try some of those heirloom '<strike>Sativas</strike> grrr/bullshit Narrow leaf tropical Indica's to see whether they really do have 'no high ceiling' as Ed Rosenthal maintains.
Gonna be honest and call bullshit on that - purely down to the basic science of humans having a physical limit to the amount of CB1 receptors in the brain, so when those are full...
Anyway - cycnism about romanticism aside; it would be good to find out for myself. I see Coinosseur Genetics is about to drop some Original Nevilles cuts (crossed to a variety of strains) this year... So i'm looking forward to trying.
1H- i think your call's probably legit. these old landrace strains aren't that strong THC-wise. it probably equates to drinking session beer. once you get up to a relaxed beery level, the continued consumption of the low-alcohol brew just keeps you there as your body processes it. but, it's not just about the THC. i've seen folks who smoke high-THC kushes all the time get 'noided out on 10% THC columbians before. they was terpene-ified. :shock: also interesting to note how many stony strains have little to no CBD either.
i also respect a healthy cynicism- our old fart's romanticism can veer into fluffy pink unicorn-ism if we're not careful. 8)
Pierre von Mondragon wrote: Wed 2nd May 2018 10:15 pm Cheers, old High Times are great, I remember buying one in '92 because it had Keef on the cover, and reading it and looking at the photos, and trying to reconcile this incredible dope scene with the one in Aberdeen that revolved around mediocre hash at best, shit soap bar at worst.
we had the mexican brick weed instead of soap bar. sad thing is that really cool strains were floating around then (mid- to latter 70's), just not in my neck of the rural backwoods of the east coast. california was where the fun stuff was going on.
macky wrote: Wed 2nd May 2018 10:41 pm Hard to grow that here, spider mites and hydro growing makes anything over ten weeks hard.
know a few guys who grow out longer flowering strains ,good morning joint but not thinking many are reaching 30 percent THC?
But you seem to know your stuff so maybe i,m wrong?
spider mites (AKA the borg). nightmare they are. just sprayed some light webbing off a revegging plant. never ever had a problem with them until 2 years ago, when i brought home some house plants from the garden centre. :?
yeah, not real high in THC. THC/CBD/terpenes lab results in this thread https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/forum/ ... =9&t=34172
but even this low in THC, there can still be more psychoactive/cerebral effects due to the other chemical (e.g., terpenes) contributions. pheno (i.e., cut) selection, with any old or new strain, will be key.

cool thing about these paleo-, near-hemp landracy strains is that you can grow them in any size pot (small ones will contain their size), and they rarely need to be fed- just use straight soil. i did a pack of oldtimers haze by vegging them in pint-sized pots, and moved into one-liter/quart pots for flowering. here's two of them, the tall one eventually turned purple at the very end. the squatter finished a little faster, and remained green. it was a sample from her that i recently posted in the "what are you smoking now thread".

you can do a project like this on the side while your hydro-, quick-finishing, high-yielding stains (btw, what strains?) are doing their thing.
from these potted plants, find ones that work for you and grow those out to a fuller size next time around. this is how i do my "closet breeding". also easy to keep the mites off 'em when they're this mobile.

like food (e.g., sushi and FEBO), okay and alcohol, i like a wide variety of cannabis- from new school poly-pheno mad science to old school landrace sativas and indicas, and everything in between.

vintage photo from the thread i posted at the top...

btw, there was a time when you could buy thai sticks in mokum.
or at least, they were advertised to be thai sticks.
macky

Post by macky »

Like the Colombian red picture ,My first purchases was that strain 8) (about 1978)
I hear you on the Borg thing ,had to do total clean down in feb. and start new seeds .
I,m growing Humbolt in bud room pineapple skunk,mango shapprie and blueberry head band.
I,m budding them out to make sure the cutting moms I have in super airation pails are not hermies
Nothing worse then putting 100 in a corn field and it all goes to seed.
I brought blue cheese and bitty early back from 420 ,all sprouted in 4days and are rocking .
Freind gave me Bubba clones and blueberry Kush clones all work well here outside .
Going to grow in big half barrels coco in my garden,never seem to be able to use more then half strength (advanced nutrients) in side .Interested to use full strength on big outside plants.
Have friends growing in greenhouse ,try to tell them go with Amniesia or some Sativa .
Less Nuc,s and need less ....well everything :mrgreen:
EasilySuede

Post by EasilySuede »

macky wrote: Sun 6th May 2018 12:53 am Like the Colombian red picture, My first purchases was that strain 8) (about 1978)
back then i had no idea what we were getting, but most likely the mexi-brick. were you in CA?
that's the year i grad'd and went into the military for four. last one was in ankara, turkey,
(where my cannabis situation finally improved for the first time in my life) where the embassy
brats would bring hash around to the apt. and use our place for an after-school hangout.
thinking back, i wonder if my roomate and i were sending the wrong message to the children. 8)
macky wrote: Sun 6th May 2018 12:53 amI hear you on the Borg thing ,had to do total clean down in feb. and start new seeds. I,m growing Humbolt in bud room pineapple skunk,mango shapprie and blueberry head band.
I,m budding them out to make sure the cutting moms I have in super airation pails are not hermies
Nothing worse then putting 100 in a corn field and it all goes to seed.
I brought blue cheese and bitty early back from 420 ,all sprouted in 4days and are rocking .
Freind gave me Bubba clones and blueberry Kush clones all work well here outside .
Going to grow in big half barrels coco in my garden,never seem to be able to use more then half strength (advanced nutrients) in side .Interested to use full strength on big outside plants.
Have friends growing in greenhouse ,try to tell them go with Amniesia or some Sativa .
Less Nuc,s and need less ....well everything :mrgreen:
very nice. good to see someone scaling out the operation. outdoors even. i think the strength
suggestions on the side of the nute bottles are intended to sell more product, than be good for plants.
i live downtown, and can't grow anything outdoors due to the rules about plant visibility. but i'm
surrounded by dispensaries here w/inexpensive weed, so... fair enough i guess. speaking of bubba,
i've got these two packs o' seeds i'll get rolling at some point-
bubba hash https://www.aceseeds.org/en/brands/ace- ... hpfem.html
and bubba citral https://www.aceseeds.org/en/brands/ace- ... ckfem.html
but need to wait until the fall, when i won't be opening windows any more until spring. 8)
i usually get my indicas from the dispensaries, but these seemed different enough that i'd
try a run.

yesterday i popped some "double Jams" (jamaican lambsbread x jamaican blue mountain)
https://www.sanniesshop.com/double-jam.html
in water and will be putting them in little soil pots later today, after the seeds sink.
it uses jahgreenlabel's lamb...
from https://www.opengrow.com/topic/49101-lambsbread/

a modern photo of a vintage strain. the oldtimers haze revegs/keepers will get the courtesy of
a larger grow/flower now, while the dub jams'll do the bonsai-sized selection process the hazes just got thru.
that frosty and fast-finishing sage F2 i posted in "what are you smoking now" will also get a bigger
grow. if she works out this next selection round i may use her as a breeding tool, kinda like a
skunk#1 stand-in. she, and some durbans that'll get started a little later, will be my tools for
crossing with the lambs, hazes, etc. for faster-finishing offspring. it's all just hobbyist pollen-chucking,
but a lot of fun/challenge working with these old strains.

EDIT: modern photo of a vintage strain (lambsbread) hybrid, double jam-
like a newborn fawn,
taking her first steps on wobbly legs...
marijuana bambi