The nonsense of Indica, Sativa and Strains in unregulated markets

Bud reviews. Varieties of marijuana.

Do you believe Indica or Sativa or strains have any meaning in an unregulated market? (POLL)

I think strains and Indica / Sativa have meaning
33%
I think strains and Indica / Sativa have NO meaning
17%
I think strains but not Indica / Sativa have meaning
17%
I think Indica / Sativa but not strains have meaning
No votes
Other
25%
Too many options pass me the Sativa Fire Bird OG Cali import.
8%

Total votes: 12

RedGecko58

The nonsense of Indica, Sativa and Strains in unregulated markets

Post by RedGecko58 »

I know this might annoy some people but I think its important to discuss. New users / visitors are often told ‘Go to X Coffeeshop their X Strain is fire’. I think the view of both Sativa and Indica is warped, strain names mean little particularly in an unregulated market.

I would go further to say I reckon most coffeeshops knowingly re-brand what they buy rather than being miss sold products. Some menus are huge. Functionally for growers, it would not make sense to grow products which are finished at different times.

Regarding Indica / Sativa -
Any distinguished effect would be diluted in the Netherlands by strain variability (see below). Overall the research suggests there is no clear morphological or physiological difference between what is sold as Indica / Sativa. Effects come from chemical components which vary plant to plant, grow to grow and are subjective, probably a result of preconceived thoughts and feelings (placebo).
The individual differences may be properly capitalised on over the next few generations with legal stability.

Regarding strains -
with an unregulated market its impossible to know. I also think the differences between strains overall is much less defined than say, varieties of tomatoes due to the number of crosses and line breeding over decades. I remember getting some GG#4 on one trip which was noticeably stronger, I reckon this was simply higher quality mixed with placebo / hype following that strain.
Cali Strains - I put forward that in most cases this is simply dutch grown and hopefully high quality which is repackaged rather than specific strains imported.

Conclusion - I propose that as a community we move towards universal ways of identifying quality - i.e. visual ques, trichome colour, Smell etc (not ash ). I think the difficulty in this thinking becoming predominant is its fun to pick and choose. I also do this, its why I visit the coffeeshops (also the variety of hash, but that is another topic).

When I am outside the Netherlands where there is choice this is how I pick, strains don’t really get pushed, indica and sativa don’t exist and cannabis is cannabis. I suppose this is a long post for legalisation, research and fun.

"It's crazy, it's absolutely nuts. I mean, you couldn't run an industry like this anywhere else, except for an unregulated market"

Willjay

Re: The nonsense of Indica, Sativa and Strains in unregulated markets

Post by Willjay »

I just learned that in the USA there are over 1950 strains listed as medical, how do you even start to look for a strain that works for you
There’s no easy answer to these questions, but discussions on effects as it applies to pain, seizures, inflammation, and other medical uses would be helpful.
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
macky

Post by macky »

Your post may have been more true year,s ago ...maybe? Most shops have seed bank of there own or sell weed they know what seeds where used e.g. soma,s Amniesia and devil.s harvest strain,s are found in different CS . Plus Barny,s ,greenhouse only sell mostly there own strains . Owner,s of Voyager,s has pheno finder,s and like most shop,s grow out of country ,getting harder and harder to find Dutch grown weed
RedGecko58

Post by RedGecko58 »

macky wrote: Mon 1st Jul 2019 04:29 pm Your post may have been more true year,s ago ...maybe? Most shops have seed bank of there own or sell weed they know what seeds where used e.g. soma,s Amniesia and devil.s harvest strain,s are found in different CS . Plus Barny,s ,greenhouse only sell mostly there own strains . Owner,s of Voyager,s has pheno finder,s and like most shop,s grow out of country ,getting harder and harder to find Dutch grown weed
Yes, they have seed banks which survive from consistently producing new 'distinct' varieties - why are they not documenting crosses that don't work? Amongst the coffee shops which either grow or import their products there is no way of know which strains are which, obviously its beneficial to promote their own products. Studies from US dispensary (a more regulated market) have documented little genetic relationship between strain name and product sold.
macky

Post by macky »

Ah! Document strain crosses that do not work? :lol: Like the name say,s pheno finder ..there looking for the one .
All I know is most hazes in the Dam are SSH and called something else ...ok with me as long as good . A lot of people here know weed strains by smell and taste ..looking for god buzz and nice taste ..what,s in a name tomato taamaatoo :D
Not sure where there getting the new Cali strains grown (not the 30euro meh!) The 15euro stuff :mrgreen: But I like the way there going .
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

The BCBubbleman always says they are not strains, they are cultivars.
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
RedGecko58

Post by RedGecko58 »

RoMoney wrote: Tue 2nd Jul 2019 08:29 pm The BCBubbleman always says they are not strains, they are cultivars.
Yes, Cultivar is a variety or 'strain' produced by selective breeding via crosses and line breeding - it is distinctly evident in species with multi generational development but not over shorter periods. Good example is apples grown in specific regions of the UK since 800AD.
TwoCanucks

Post by TwoCanucks »

I buy strictly by terps now. Indica Sativa mean nothing to me. I’ve never been happier with purchases since I started learning about terpenes. Everything has been crossed and crossed and crossed.

If someone can give me a device that measures indica and Sativa percentages, then tell me how that makes a difference, would love to know.

India and Sativa are now main stream marketing tools.

Edit: forgot it was talk about unregulated. Still mostly applies but you can’t always believe the labels.
Amsterdam dreaming.............
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

TwoCanucks wrote: Mon 15th Jul 2019 02:31 pm I buy strictly by terps now.
If you asked me what's my ideal start to a day I would say, vaping orange terps, so I can relate to this.
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Rafiki

Post by Rafiki »

Last edited by Rafiki on Mon 9th Sep 2019 12:51 pm, edited 8 times in total.
macky

Post by macky »

What a bunch of shit ‘ you really need experience growing ,horticulture to tell by looking at bud :lol:
Every hear of Trichomes ( hint colour will tell when to harvest to get effect your after e.g. Amber gets you couch lock :mrgreen:
Best budtender James from Utopia always ask,s if they wish to get high or stoned (man knows his product) not sure what you mean by ‘mere drug abuse ) another of your read between the lines . Lot of grower,s here don,t need your made up thoughts or info taken from net you think is deep :roll:
Rafiki

Post by Rafiki »

Last edited by Rafiki on Mon 9th Sep 2019 12:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
macky

Post by macky »

Finally we agree ...it,s ScheiBhaufen :D
Kay Noosh

Post by Kay Noosh »

My first look is still on the indica / sativa orientation. A first rough overview - not enough but already helpful! (Remember those times you had to smoke your way through the whole menu and had no idea how to identify the good ones among some undefined crap such as Skunk...?)

Next thing is the strain name. Some signal words indicate what it might be like - hazes on one side or kushes on the other, landraces, or pure phantasy names. Some deeper key words too: "mango" or "pineapple" or "blue" often stand for a little indica-leaning effects, "lemon" more for sativa... or everything connected to "Jack" refers to the sativa-leaning Jack Herer strains. Even if it's often the taste that's mentioned here I mostly found that true, and breeders refer to strains that already are on the market or that they cross-bred with and take up the respective names.

Of course I always ask the budtender - if I'm after landraces or trippy sativas he might know best what's on the menu. Best if he has smoked the strain himself and can give a first-hand impression.

Because there's more: The names, seed varieties, cultivation & harvest methods can lead to very different results. I had for example different kinds of Chocolope and of Casey Jones that were not very much alike each other, so it's testing anyway.

And then one last thing... there's something like a character or soul of a specific batch: "You can't know". I was recommended some Kashmir weed by one of my fav coffee shops (Oasis in Groningen). Normally not anything I would go for as it's said to be indica-leaning - but they were so right, soulful wonderful stuff! :wink: (And no couch-lock at all.) On the other side, the sativa-leaning mainstream-as-strong-as-it-can-get-super-mega-amnesia-silver-white-whatsoever strains, I seldom found any soul in them. Had an Amnesia lately with really doubtful spirit... :roll:
"God's herb, puts you in the moment. Smoke a little and let it do its thing!" (H. Diltz)