Cafe Batavia 1920

Comments on specific bars. Use search to find the topic for a bar.

Rate Batavia

ImageImageImageImageImage 5/5
24
80%
ImageImageImageImageImage 4/5
5
17%
ImageImageImageImageImage 3/5
1
3%
ImageImageImageImageImage 2/5
0
No votes
ImageImageImageImageImage 1/5
0
No votes
ImageImageImageImageImage 0/5
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 30

User avatar
DeLekkersteNUGS16
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue 2nd Jun 2015 08:49 pm

Re: Cafe Batavia 1920

Post by DeLekkersteNUGS16 » Tue 11th Sep 2018 11:57 am

Hmmm, overall they're different. But a lot of parallels warrant conparison between the two. They're the most revered "stoner pubs/bars" in town for one, same part of town, similar layout especially regarding downstairs smoking room with canal side windows, a lot of overlapping regulars (myself included) whom frequent both. Etc.

HSB's seating though may look to be more comfortable (under the layers of spilled beer graffiti, ganja and bodily fluid grime) but only 1 in 5 of the plus-chairs/loveseats/couches doesn't have a spent cushion spring trying to violate you.

HSB lost some major points when they upped their prices a few months back, gone are the 3€ Happy Hour pints of yesteryear (cheapest in town basically).
Last edited by DeLekkersteNUGS16 on Wed 19th Sep 2018 06:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
DjShaggy
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat 3rd Sep 2011 09:04 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Cafe Batavia 1920

Post by DjShaggy » Tue 11th Sep 2018 01:27 pm

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote:
Tue 11th Sep 2018 11:57 am
HSB's seating though may look to be more comfortable (under the layers of spilled beer graffiti, ganja and bodily fluid grime) but only 1 in 5 of the plus-chairs/loveseats/couches doesn't have a spent cushion spring trying to violate you.


this isnt far from the truth, tho i find the upstairs area is in quite better condition than the tobacco area downstairs.
DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote:
Tue 11th Sep 2018 11:57 am
HSB lost some major points when they upped their prices a few months back, gone are the 3€ Happy Hour pints of yesterday (cheapest in town basically).


wouldnt know.

hill st play better music tho :lol:
ignoring spellcheck since 1986

User avatar
RoMoney
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu 26th Oct 2017 10:58 pm
Location: EU

Re: Cafe Batavia 1920

Post by RoMoney » Tue 11th Sep 2018 01:37 pm

I still struggle with Batavia, I know it's great to be able to dab there but it's still a boozer that does pub food, something I've got every few hundred meters at home. That said, I think the big thing they hold over HSB as was mentioned is the lack of hassle to buy.

User avatar
matty223
Posts: 3436
Joined: Sun 22nd Jun 2008 03:22 pm
Location: new york

Re: Cafe Batavia 1920

Post by matty223 » Tue 11th Sep 2018 01:56 pm

Miss the good ole NES

User avatar
DeLekkersteNUGS16
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue 2nd Jun 2015 08:49 pm

Re: Cafe Batavia 1920

Post by DeLekkersteNUGS16 » Tue 11th Sep 2018 02:47 pm

DjShaggy wrote:
Tue 11th Sep 2018 01:27 pm
DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote:
Tue 11th Sep 2018 11:57 am
HSB's seating though may look to be more comfortable (under the layers of spilled beer graffiti, ganja and bodily fluid grime) but only 1 in 5 of the plus-chairs/loveseats/couches doesn't have a spent cushion spring trying to violate you.


this isnt far from the truth, tho i find the upstairs area is in quite better condition than the tobacco area downstairs.
DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote:
Tue 11th Sep 2018 11:57 am
HSB lost some major points when they upped their prices a few months back, gone are the 3€ Happy Hour pints of yesterday (cheapest in town basically).


wouldnt know.

hill st play better music tho :lol:
I agree upstairs is nicer when it's busy due to the no tobacco policy as well.

However I'm quite partial to that downstairs window couch, when I have it all to myself or with select company to enjoy.

Regarding music I respectfully disagree but I know you Brits are often keen on the drum & bass so to each their own 😁

User avatar
DeLekkersteNUGS16
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue 2nd Jun 2015 08:49 pm

Re: Cafe Batavia 1920

Post by DeLekkersteNUGS16 » Tue 11th Sep 2018 02:49 pm

RoMoney wrote:
Tue 11th Sep 2018 01:37 pm
I still struggle with Batavia, I know it's great to be able to dab there but it's still a boozer that does pub food, something I've got every few hundred meters at home. That said, I think the big thing they hold over HSB as was mentioned is the lack of hassle to buy.
But how many boozers that do pub-food and are cool with the most blatant and open cannabis consumption back home?

User avatar
Willjay
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri 2nd Oct 2009 08:28 pm
Location: The keystone state, in the land of prohibition

Re: Cafe Batavia 1920

Post by Willjay » Tue 11th Sep 2018 04:16 pm

matty223 wrote:
Tue 11th Sep 2018 01:56 pm
Miss the good ole NES
me too matty223 :mrgreen: I also miss the guilder :D
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org

User avatar
AzLaker
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat 21st May 2005 01:13 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Cafe Batavia 1920

Post by AzLaker » Tue 11th Sep 2018 04:52 pm

Willjay wrote:
Tue 11th Sep 2018 04:16 pm
matty223 wrote:
Tue 11th Sep 2018 01:56 pm
Miss the good ole NES
me too matty223 :mrgreen: I also miss the guilder :D
Dave always said " if they turn it into selling booze only, it wasn't going to last very long."

They should have kept the cannabis and got rid of the alcohol. :wink: :wink:
If you never do, you'll never know.

User avatar
TwoCanucks
Posts: 4719
Joined: Tue 10th Feb 2009 01:03 am
Location: Amsterdamage

Re: Cafe Batavia 1920

Post by TwoCanucks » Sat 15th Sep 2018 08:19 pm

matty223 wrote:
Tue 11th Sep 2018 01:56 pm
Miss the good ole NES
I was racking my head trying to remember NES, couldnt think of the name. :oops: :(
Amsterdam dreaming.............

CopenhagenCouple
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu 14th Jul 2016 10:49 am
Location: Take a wild guess...

Re: Cafe Batavia 1920

Post by CopenhagenCouple » Sat 15th Sep 2018 08:51 pm

AzLaker wrote:
Tue 11th Sep 2018 04:52 pm
Dave always said " if they turn it into selling booze only, it wasn't going to last very long."

They should have kept the cannabis and got rid of the alcohol. :wink: :wink:
As far as we know it wasn't an option to stop selling beer there (legal matters), and sadly there was no other way for that to go... If it was up to Franz they would have kept it as a CS, not a bar as we understand it.

CC

P.s. RIP good ole NES, favorite cannarelated place of all time :(
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:

worldcitizen1723
Posts: 1128
Joined: Mon 1st Mar 2010 12:10 am

Re: Cafe Batavia 1920

Post by worldcitizen1723 » Sun 16th Sep 2018 07:50 am

Willjay wrote:
Tue 11th Sep 2018 04:16 pm
matty223 wrote:
Tue 11th Sep 2018 01:56 pm
Miss the good ole NES
me too matty223 :mrgreen: I also miss the guilder :D
me too!!!

Jaochoo
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun 27th Dec 2009 08:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: Cafe Batavia 1920

Post by Jaochoo » Wed 19th Sep 2018 09:22 am

Nice to have this place close to our hotel. The beers and service was good. Vibe was great considering how many people inside.

Had a few nightcap spliff on the canal seat...daydreaming of previous trips to the dam.

Btw The apple pie there was delicious 😋

User avatar
RvanSteensel
Posts: 1882
Joined: Wed 15th Feb 2012 08:51 pm

Re: Cafe Batavia 1920

Post by RvanSteensel » Wed 9th Jan 2019 04:33 pm

i totally forgot about Nes
till you mentioned it here ...... :cry: :cry:
Relax and take notes , as I take tokes of the marihuana smoke

User avatar
Lafe
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue 13th Dec 2005 07:55 pm
Location: Location! Location!

Re: Cafe Batavia 1920

Post by Lafe » Tue 15th Jan 2019 04:47 am

RvanSteensel wrote:
Wed 9th Jan 2019 04:33 pm
i totally forgot about Nes
till you mentioned it here ...... :cry: :cry:
On my first trip back after ‘t Nes closed I was lost in the evenings, truly gutted. I still have not found anything that brings the joy like Nes did.
"Laif" with a long "a".

User avatar
AzLaker
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat 21st May 2005 01:13 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Cafe Batavia 1920

Post by AzLaker » Tue 15th Jan 2019 01:26 pm

Lafe wrote:
Tue 15th Jan 2019 04:47 am
RvanSteensel wrote:
Wed 9th Jan 2019 04:33 pm
i totally forgot about Nes
till you mentioned it here ...... :cry: :cry:
On my first trip back after ‘t Nes closed I was lost in the evenings, truly gutted. I still have not found anything that brings the joy like Nes did.
+1 :(

AzLaker
8)
If you never do, you'll never know.

Post Reply

Return to “Smoker-Friendly Bar Reviews”