Cafe Batavia 1920

Comments on specific bars. Use search to find the topic for a bar.

Rate Batavia

ImageImageImageImageImage 5/5
76%
ImageImageImageImageImage 4/5
18%
ImageImageImageImageImage 3/5
6%
ImageImageImageImageImage 2/5
No votes
ImageImageImageImageImage 1/5
No votes
ImageImageImageImageImage 0/5
No votes

Total votes: 33

Sanchez_

Re: Cafe Batavia 1920

Post by Sanchez_ »

Still a good central spot with excellent canalside seat that catches the sun. With the recent exodus of the most of the familiar staff it doesn't quite have the feeling it did before, for me anyway.

The wood panelling veneer over the rear room walls and flange/I beam is ugly and takes away from the previous painted walls, it also makes it feel smaller and somewhat like a cheesy old school UK Barber shop done on a budget in the late 80's.

Panelling above the seats is now obstructing the power sockets behind so it's a less convenient place for charging up and relaxing.

Food is still good, staff friendly enough and it still holds a strong position as the most centrally situated, smoker friendly Mokum hideout with a capacity to fit the majority of the ACD crew all at the same time.

RvanSteensel

Post by RvanSteensel »

tried Bangers & Mash last visit .
i wanted something cheaper so i had a little extra change for a second order :twisted:
it kicked ass ! was just as expected .
Relax and take notes , as I take tokes of the marihuana smoke
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Lots of changes as of late, some for the worse (cough* paneling out the access to electrical outlets) That said, the new manager Robert is a sound guy, and they'd have been hard pressed to find a better replacement.

Still easily my regular watering hole, and hands down my #1 420-friendly bar in the Netherlands. Good staff that give good service and aren't pushy with drinks like at a certain other place. Also better music selection...

(side tangent: I'll still never forgive that staff member I heard from downstairs one morning at HSB exclaim loudly "ugh this music is shit" referring to the 2pac tunes blaring from the PA. I thought she just didn't like hiphop, then she proceeds to switch tracks/artists to some god-awful British rap, that immediately sent her to the seventh rung of hiphop hell in my book)

...and played mostly at a more reasonable volume than said other place. Finally it's at least a little less grimey than pretty much all Mokum competitors.

Hehe sorry Ro, HSB still handily nabs my silver medal of accolades in this category but yeah, living in Mokum for so long tends to make one increasingly averse the whole Wallen/Warmoestraat area, it's just so damn sleazy.
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

Well it (Hsb) should be a drum and bass bar like it always was

Uk hip hop is pretty shit, reserved especially for the plug.

I find Batavia (upstairs) to be much more chill and I like the fact that it isn’t filled with tobacco smoke. I like that I can roll a joint and just step outside to smoke it when I’m with a group of drinkers.

If I’m looking for somewhere to smoke indoors then hsb is one of the choice spots, especially the comfortable(ish) sofas, Batavia is not comfortable.

Pros and cons
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Per the manager's own words, dabbing is no longer permitted, nor are ciggies. As it stands pure joints are still allowed. Though there's talks of Gemeente workers probing the air readings of smoking rooms for tobacco-content going forward; and subsequently fining establishments in violation of the ZERO tobacco ruling.

So all you Euro-trash baccy-laced joint smokers thinking you're oh-so "slick" will probably ruin a good thing for the rest of us soon enough... 🙄😏

HSB is still dab-friendly, as far as I know.
Last edited by Nuggz on Tue 14th Jan 2020 09:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smirks

Post by Smirks »

Are bongs still allowed?
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Smirks wrote: Tue 14th Jan 2020 07:53 am Are bongs still allowed?
Good question actually, I'll ask Robert next time I see him...
AudioKush

Post by AudioKush »

Lame. This was always a nice place to dab and get a good bite to eat. Sad to hear that the new management has caused these issues. The place has slowly been steering away from the canna community for the past year.
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

AudioKush wrote: Tue 14th Jan 2020 11:01 am Lame. This was always a nice place to dab and get a good bite to eat. Sad to hear that the new management has caused these issues. The place has slowly been steering away from the canna community for the past year.
Yeah it's definitely not management dude, it's you know the looming national law/regulation among other things - please check yourself and facts before spouting such fucking nonsense, I can assure you Robert is a chill dude and it wasn't his call...

HSB is too dependent upon grungy stoners and all other things grimy or they'd have followed suit already, and eventually they will anyway and their business (model) will crumble...
AudioKush

Post by AudioKush »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Tue 14th Jan 2020 11:54 am
AudioKush wrote: Tue 14th Jan 2020 11:01 am Lame. This was always a nice place to dab and get a good bite to eat. Sad to hear that the new management has caused these issues. The place has slowly been steering away from the canna community for the past year.
Yeah it's definitely not management dude, it's you know the looming national law/regulation among other things - please check yourself and facts before spouting such fucking nonsense, I can assure you Robert is a chill dude and it wasn't his call...

HSB is too dependent upon grungy stoners and all other things grimy or they'd have followed suit already, and eventually they will anyway and their business (model) will crumble...
The new management has caused changes to this place. I am not "spouting such fucking nonsense". Watch your tone with me, guy.
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

AudioKush wrote: Tue 14th Jan 2020 02:36 pm

The new management has caused changes to this place. I am not "spouting such fucking nonsense". Watch your tone with me, guy.
Alright asshole, you're wrong but whatever. And I'll speak to you in any way or tone in which I damn well please, check yourself.
AudioKush

Post by AudioKush »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Tue 14th Jan 2020 03:54 pm
AudioKush wrote: Tue 14th Jan 2020 02:36 pm

Alright asshole, you're wrong but whatever. And I'll speak to you in any way or tone in which I damn well please, check yourself.

"And I'll speak to you in any way or tone in which I damn well please".... and I am the asshole. Right...
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

DjShaggy wrote: Tue 14th Jan 2020 04:36 pm Image
What'd you post? Link seems to be broken...
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »