Cafe Batavia 1920

Comments on specific bars. Use search to find the topic for a bar.

Rate Batavia

ImageImageImageImageImage 5/5
76%
ImageImageImageImageImage 4/5
18%
ImageImageImageImageImage 3/5
6%
ImageImageImageImageImage 2/5
No votes
ImageImageImageImageImage 1/5
No votes
ImageImageImageImageImage 0/5
No votes

Total votes: 33

MJ420

Re: Cafe Batavia 1920

Post by MJ420 »

My favorite smoker-friendly bar. Food is great and they have a good selection of beer to choose from.

madmaxxx

Post by madmaxxx »

Went there twice last week.ribs where 10/10 fell off the bone.and the roast was lovely.allways get a big platefull
macky

Post by macky »

madmaxxx wrote: Thu 28th Sep 2017 01:52 pm Went there twice last week.ribs where 10/10 fell off the bone.and the roast was lovely.allways get a big platefull
An you had a trip too Spider,s garden all in one week 8)
free_phil_spector

Post by free_phil_spector »

Front end of its face has been ripped off :(
It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate - it takes guts to be gentle and kind...
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Indeed the front room (wooden "box") was taken down.

It was part of a longstanding mandate by the Gemeente.

Was there until the wee hours of Friday night (Saturday morning) and it was there. Returned the next afternoon it was already gone, I walked up to the bar and thought I was in parallel universe or some shit for a second. Was very jarring to say the least.
GreenGhirl

Post by GreenGhirl »

Was in for a while today for the first time and its a cracking place. Bar tender sorry I didnt catch your name went through all the beers with us and we got a seat in the corner next to the window at the back and had a smoke and beer. Going to try the food :D
private_press

Post by private_press »

Ate twice here over the weekend. Ordered the Beef 'Pie' stewed in La Chouffe. Amazing nosh. Wasn't really a 'pie' but more of a 'really really big, triangular pastie' however no complaints were made at all. Beef chunks were just so soft and falling apart, AND, stewed in one of my favourite beers! Puff pastry was top notch and buttery. Decent helping of roast veg and creamy mashed potato! Loved it so much, I returned the next day, ordered the same + Bitterballen (I maybe recall they were on the menu as being 6pcs but received about 9 or 10!)

Class atmosphere, they were playing Mr Scruff tunes on when I arrived which was brilliant. Quick run around to Voyagers to topup as well. Staff all seemed very friendly; however a lady did have a bit of a kick off at some customers as nobody was returning their dirty plates to the kitchen, which was totally fair enough and justified. That's their system, and allows the smoking room to operate!

Wish I could handle beer + weed, or else I'd have sampled a few beers too!
Dave near London

Post by Dave near London »

Increasingly busy , tricky to get a seat last night - so left) , an absolute quality place and very "democratic" - always enjoyed a modest pint or two with a a smoke , much as a couple of glasses of red wine after a smoke, keeps the enjoyment going.

Batavia is a very special place , - decent enough food and beer and that special tolerance....must really help their economics.
HashyH

Post by HashyH »

Was closed Friday and Saturday nights due to a Northern Soul fest.
Went in there on Sunday after a full day of walking, museums, bongs etc and had the Sunday Roast. Top notch roast. Went down to the basement for a couple of spliffs, chilled vibe.

Went back yesterday and had the bbq burger, mrs had the ribs. Both dishes were great quality pub grub.

It's the ideal place to take a non smoker. No smell upstairs at all, lovely pub feel to it. Something for everyone.
deebzy75

Post by deebzy75 »

great place always a frst stop...nice grolsch \and a great basement with european football on and fuckin lovely food
twistednerve

Post by twistednerve »

Nice place. Just like a good friendly pub upstairs. Checked out the smoking room but it was heavin'. Definately a good stop for a drink or smoke if there's room.
squidgyblack

Post by squidgyblack »

twistednerve wrote: Thu 29th Mar 2018 01:45 pm Nice place. Just like a good friendly pub upstairs. Checked out the smoking room but it was heavin'. Definately a good stop for a drink or smoke if there's room.

Plentry of room still for the mice!
Kenshiro

Post by Kenshiro »

Batcave....the more comfortable option.

No pushiness with drinks, staff are fucking ace, food is good value. You can dab, glob, dollop whatever floats your boat without hassle.

Breakfast excellent value, Sunday roast also great value.

Name me a more comfortable, less pushy place for all your needs and I'm all ears🤔🤯💚🇱🇺 (don't dare compare it to Hill Street crack den), I love Hill Street but it's no Batavia.....
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Kenshiro wrote: Mon 10th Sep 2018 11:04 pm Batcave....the more comfortable option.

No pushiness with drinks, staff are fucking ace, food is good value. You can dab, glob, dollop whatever floats your boat without hassle.

Breakfast excellent value, Sunday roast also great value.

Name me a more comfortable, less pushy place for all your needs and I'm all ears🤔🤯💚🇱🇺 (don't dare compare it to Hill Street crack den), I love Hill Street but it's no Batavia.....
#MicDrop 🎤⬇️
👏👏👏
Like HSB as much as the next guy, but Batavia tis certainly not - better staff, better food, better drink prices and less excess of rolling suitcase luggage if ya catch my drift...
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

like comparing chalk and cheese.

those sofas in hill st are ya more comfortable than any of the seats in batavia.

the service and atmosphere in batavia is way more relaxed than that of hill st.

the addition of non toastie food makes batavia my goto spot on a rainy day.
ignoring spellcheck since 1986