The Plug Coffeeshop - LOUNGE

Comments on specific bars. Use search to find the topic for a bar.

Rate The Plug Utopia Lounge

ImageImageImageImageImage 5/5
50%
ImageImageImageImageImage 4/5
13%
ImageImageImageImageImage 3/5
13%
ImageImageImageImageImage 2/5
13%
ImageImageImageImageImage 1/5
No votes
ImageImageImageImageImage 0/5
13%

Total votes: 8

Smirks

Re: The Plug Coffeeshop - LOUNGE

Post by Smirks »

Ned is short for non-educated delinquent, I believe Chav is derived from Chatham Average. What’s the roots of Knacker?

RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Smirks wrote: Wed 7th Nov 2018 07:30 pm Ned is short for non-educated delinquent, I believe Chav is derived from Chatham Average. What’s the roots of Knacker?
Haha, did not know the root of either of those, they are quite funny! Knacker was historically a derogatory term used to refer to Irish travellers (gypsies) but I don't know why. It was then transferred to urban scumbags in more recent times.
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Pierre von Mondragon

Post by Pierre von Mondragon »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Tue 6th Nov 2018 09:58 pm
RoMoney wrote: Tue 6th Nov 2018 09:27 pm
Pierre von Mondragon wrote: Tue 6th Nov 2018 11:43 am Neddy as fuck
Proper Scottish phrase right there :mrgreen:
Well no good then as I reckon these cunts are from Essex innit?!
Proud Nedwards army??
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Either way whatever god-awful chavvy accent was pouring out of their mouths, it made want pull a "Van Gogh" on my ears - and quite honestly an Alabama trailer-trash accent would've been a welcome change.
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

RoMoney wrote: Wed 7th Nov 2018 07:52 pm
Smirks wrote: Wed 7th Nov 2018 07:30 pm Ned is short for non-educated delinquent, I believe Chav is derived from Chatham Average. What’s the roots of Knacker?
Haha, did not know the root of either of those, they are quite funny! Knacker was historically a derogatory term used to refer to Irish travellers (gypsies) but I don't know why. It was then transferred to urban scumbags in more recent times.
I've heard the Chav and Ned bits are "Backronyms" (acronyms made retroactively out of convenience/coincidence but don't bear the true etymology of a word e.g. TIPS = To Insure Proper Service, not true as "ensure" would be the correct word usage in any matter) as I had heard C.H.A.V. = Council Housed And Violent
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Thu 8th Nov 2018 11:02 am as I had heard C.H.A.V. = Council Housed And Violent
This is what I had heard too

(Edit to actually put the reply in)
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
Smirks

Post by Smirks »

Is “I’ve heard” code for “I’ve just googled it?”
FODSmith

Post by FODSmith »

As a general rule, if anyone tells you a word is derived from an acronym, it isn't. There are exceptions, but they're few and far between, and I don't think there are any in English before the 20th century.
macky

Post by macky »

Smirks wrote: Thu 8th Nov 2018 03:00 pm Is “I’ve heard” code for “I’ve just googled it?”
I doubt Trump has google anything :D
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

Smirks wrote: Thu 8th Nov 2018 03:00 pm Is “I’ve heard” code for “I’ve just googled it?”
I may have googled it when the saying was in common use 10+ years ago. Or maybe it was on the front of the daily mail. Either way your right I heard, with my eyes!
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

No it's code for this is what actual Brits using these words in the moment and in context have told me, but your snarky presumptions did not go unnoticed be rest assured good sir... :wink: 8) 👍
Last edited by Nuggz on Fri 9th Nov 2018 04:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

DjShaggy wrote: Fri 9th Nov 2018 02:36 pm
I may have googled it when the saying was in common use 10+ years ago. Or maybe it was on the front of the daily mail. Either way your right I heard, with my eyes!
Nugs like this message.
macky

Post by macky »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Fri 9th Nov 2018 03:04 pm
No it's code for this is what actual Brits using these words in the moment and in context have told me, but your snarky presumptions did not go unnoticed be rest assured good sir... :wink: 8) 👍
You noticed I tried to deflect with Trump comment :D
Not to worry Nug,s some forget your still young and full of piss and vinaigre ,Noticed I didn,t say young dumb and full of c.... :D I find you well read.
FODSmith

Post by FODSmith »

People talk a lot of crap (the word Macky didn't quite say, I assume) about language. They'll tell you that "bloody" is a contraction of "by Our Lady", and that "SOS" means "save our souls/ships", and that "posh" comes from "port out, starboard home". And, you know, they don't.
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

FODSmith wrote: Fri 9th Nov 2018 09:06 pm People talk a lot of crap (the word Macky didn't quite say, I assume) about language. They'll tell you that "bloody" is a contraction of "by Our Lady", and that "SOS" means "save our souls/ships", and that "posh" comes from "port out, starboard home". And, you know, they don't.
When etymology meets urban mythology :lol:
Bring back Imelda Marcos!