Beth Tweddle
No votes
Tom Daley
No votes

Total votes: 10

Kermit

BBC Sports Personality of the Year nominees

Post by Kermit »

Lets see who is ACD sports personality of the year using the BBC nominees. Poll will run until the night the winner is announced.

David Haye (Boxing)

Jenson Button (F1)

Andrew Strauss (Cricket)

Ryan Giggs (Football)

Mark Cavendish (Cycling)

Andy Murray (Tennis)

Jessica Ennis (Athletics)

Phillips Idowu (Athletics)

Beth Tweddle (Gymnastics)

Tom Daley (Diving)
Last edited by Kermit on Tue 1st Dec 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boner

Post by Boner »

I'm going to think about this before voting.

David Haye is obviously a strong contender but so is Jenson & even Ryan Giggs, tough decision.
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
colinzeal

Post by colinzeal »

I've gone for Jenson because he put his critics to rest. He suffered in the British media because he "failed to shine" in his first nine years in F1. How quickly they forget 2004 when he put his BAR in third place in the driver's championship behind only the two dominant ferraris. He won the championship in what was truly the first year he had a car capable of doing so, kudos jenson. Consistency is key in F1 and he has that in spades.

He has now moved to Mclaren and the media believe he will be trounced by Lewis. While I do actually think that Lewis is the faster driver I dont think he will have an easy time against Jenson in any way. It will be a great fight.

TBH though F1 is one of the few sports i follow and since i dont really know who some of those people on the list are my opinion is hardly a good representation. :roll: However I reckon Jenson has a fair chance at winning this. For what its worth though Lewis drove like a champion all year in an (initially) uncompetitive car and possibly preformed even better than Jenson considering the equipment. :)
Pauli Wallnuts

Post by Pauli Wallnuts »

i used to love f1 but now its whoever has the best car wins, driving ability is still a big factor, but no matter how good a driver you are if the car aint up 2it you dont stand a chance, e.g alonso - great driver - shit car, vettel, o.k driver - excellent car, who had the most points? vettel, by a country mile
jenson button deserved it because he is a quality driver whose underperformed for many years, but lets be honest it was ross brawns brains that won it, if button had been driving a toyota or renault he wouldn't have got anywhere near,

david haye would never get my vote after the stunt he pulled when setanta collapsed
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=20398
the fight was a sell out, what about the fans from the uk that had booked flights, hotel & bought their tickets? he didnt give a f**k about them, he just wanted to make his pot of gold &nothing else

my vote as you can all guess goes to 1of the last remaining gentleman left in football, Sir (if kelly holmes can be knighted for 2medals, then this is a no brainer) Ryan Giggs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXbNLkNh ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sir Niall of Essex-sire

Post by Sir Niall of Essex-sire »

Strauss. Ashes won again, deserves it in my book.
Defeating evil with a thing called love
Twichaldinho

Post by Twichaldinho »

Anyone except Andy Murry :wink:

I'd like to vote for Giggsy, but the man doesn't appear to own a personality!
David Haye on the other hand, has a head full of personality ( some might just call that Ego )
I need to think about this some more :roll:
Endure
Boner

Post by Boner »

Twichaldinho wrote:I'd like to vote for Giggsy, but the man doesn't appear to own a personality!
Good job I wasn't drinking anything while reading as I may of just spat it out all over the screen! :lol:
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Who voted Jess Ennis? Just wondering
colinzeal

Post by colinzeal »

Nice to see pride in your new World Champion.

btw Pauli, Vettel is an exceptional driver. Sebs a rain master and that says it all. Definetley a future world champion and he will be worrying Alonso for the next few years no doubt about it.
Pauli Wallnuts

Post by Pauli Wallnuts »

colinzeal wrote:Nice to see pride in your new World Champion.

btw Pauli, Vettel is an exceptional driver. Sebs a rain master and that says it all. Definetley a future world champion and he will be worrying Alonso for the next few years no doubt about it.
but would you say he's a MUCH better driver than alonso atm, because if the standings are anything to go by he is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXbNLkNh ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
colinzeal

Post by colinzeal »

i dont think any F1 fan would think the standings reflect the absolute skill of the drivers. I mean most would rate Alonso and Hamilton ahead of Button, myself included.

In terms of raw speed it looks like Vettel is as fast as Alonso. Seb is probably not the quite the fully rounded package that Alonso is just yet but you have to remember that Vettel has only two full seasons of F1 under his belt and experience counts for a lot. He made some minor mistakes this year (he'd be the first to admit it too) but if he hadn't he would have been world champion in his second full season.

Don't get me wrong I rate Alonso very very highly but to say Sebastian is just an ok driver is way off the mark, he is pure class and next year when they are both in competitive equipment Alonso will have some serious competition for the title of "best driver on the grid" from Vettel (and hamiliton and hopefully Rosberg)

Alonso is great no doubt, but Vettel is easily comparable just let him prove it by giving him the time to do so.

As for this "its all about the car", thats motor racing! In every discipline of motor racing you cannot win if you dont have the equipment. And for that matter you cant win if you dont have the mechanics, the strategists and the designers behind you too.
Dobern

Post by Dobern »

Kermit wrote:Who voted Jess Ennis? Just wondering
That was me mate.

Excellent achievement from a 'Local Lass', would be well deserved.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Dobern wrote:
That was me mate.

8) i agree TBH i think all deserve to be up but for some reason i cant understand why Giggs is actually up, But then i suppose they had to have a footballer so they chose to keep it clean.
8)
Dobern

Post by Dobern »

Kermit wrote:
Dobern wrote:
That was me mate.

8) i agree TBH i think all deserve to be up but for some reason i cant understand why Giggs is actually up, But then i suppose they had to have a footballer so they chose to keep it clean.
8)
Agree 100%, don't get me wrong Giggs is an amazing player, one of the all time greats, but Sports Personality of the Year? Dont think so. Maybe when he finally steps down as a testimony to his career.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Pauli Wallnuts wrote: my vote as you can all guess goes to 1of the last remaining gentleman left in football, Sir (if kelly holmes can be knighted for 2medals, then this is a no brainer) Ryan Giggs
And you are spot on :shock: FIX :lol: :lol: