Electric bikes or gas-powered bicycles?

Getting there and getting around.
abcdabcd

Electric bikes or gas-powered bicycles?

Post by abcdabcd »

I haven't been to amsterdam before but, planning on it for 2010 and I was thinking of getting an electric bike or a gas-powered bike. I'd prefer the gas powered since I can get more miles. My concern is, are gas-powered bicycles considered mopeds in the Netherlands and require a license? What about electric bikes?

If nobody knows, where could I go to get this information? I'd prefer to find out what the laws are regarding those before I get there so I can plan accordingly.

Thanks

FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

Here is some info I got from HasjDreamer, it pertains to motor scooters.

Quote HasjDreamer

To use the bike paths Amsterdam limits your scooter to a mere 25 kph (thus, no helmet required). The scooter rentals in the center all provide the limited 25 kph scooter. Gilex, however (on Marnixstraat) is a "real" motorcycle/scooter shop and Lex (the owner) told me that he "tweaks" his scooters (the wife and I topped off at around 42 kph) and no helmet is required.

If you have a motorcycle license, he will rent out 250cc Yamaha scooters (topping 120 kph!) that Lex swears will "get us around Europe". Needless to say, I will get my license between now and next spring and rent one of the big boys (helmet required).

The rental from Saturday 'till Thursday cost us about 170 euro total and we managed to eat up a full tank despite the rain. It's a scooter wonderland - sharing the bike paths and tooling around town (from Oud Zuid to Westerpark, from Artis Zoo to the Jordaan, from the center to the new South) cutting through "Amsterdam School" buildings and feeling more like a local every kilometer.

Enjoy
FlyByNite
abcdabcd

Post by abcdabcd »

Thanks for the reply. So, I'm guessing it sounds like, if it's not a "real" motorcycle/scooter, and won't go faster than 25 kph then you don't need a motorcycle license?
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

From Gilex's Contact page.

http://www.gilex.nl/default.asp?lang=5

It looks like any kind of license will do.

Enjoy
FlyByNite
sam

Post by sam »

Wow very cool scooter rental place. Thank you for the link FBN. My only ? is, is it legal to ride one of the scooters while high?
jollylittlehun

Post by jollylittlehun »

Nope but i doubt any police will pull you over unless your driving mental.